Pioneer Member Rant

19 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So if DCI tells Pioneer to clean up it’s act and Roman tells them to pound sand what can DCI really do.

make sure Pioneer is not allowed into any DCI sanctioned shows and....

Actually that applies to any DCI policy but let’s stay on topic 

DCI can tell Pioneer not to come back

5 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Well either help with the education of safety and a guideline to help OR shut them down ..Safety 1st

Now comes the $64 question and not trying to put you in the hot seat. I’m seeing posts that say DCI does not have to legal power to tell the corps how to run their business. So does DCI have the power to shut down a corps? Pioneer can be blocked from DCI shows but could still operate as an independent something or other. Wouldn’t get the members without some BS PR but corps could still exist

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Oh forgot to also write. There is a place where the kids don't age out...DCA....lol

Glad you added the LOL this years Cabs set the record for the youngest soloist playing rump rump rump, did it well but may have been only 12 years old. My point with Roman he must be old enough to retire on gov't standards maybe way beyond at some point when they get real old they should be required to age out. Just a thought. Also as you know DCA does not keep the corps together all summer.

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCI can tell Pioneer not to come back

In other words ban from DCI shows just like DCA did to a certain loud corps some years back. And that’s the only power I can think of 

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Now comes the $64 question and not trying to put you in the hot seat. I’m seeing posts that say DCI does not have to legal power to tell the corps how to run their business. So does DCI have the power to shut down a corps? Pioneer can be blocked from DCI shows but could still operate as an independent something or other. Wouldn’t get the members without some BS PR but corps could still exist

Well thats a good question. I do believe it is not DCIs business how a corps is run or what they choose to be BUT we are talking about the safety of kids. I would think a corps like PIO does not have the adult age of most WC corps so this is different. DCI has had to bail out a few corps over the years for the sake of the kids or has had to step in. I suppose if they do not meet the standard of a safe tour YES they don't have to grant them a position on a tour.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Yes I knew that going in been showered with marketing values my whole career being on the buyers end of large corporations. If there is a point it is that we may need to knock some doors down, bring change. If may be as easy as emailing the vendors and explain to them they need to spread the wealth a little better for the good of their own lively hood, future sales w/o dci around for convention space someday. Heck if we really cared about the corps outside the top 8 the whole financial structure would be different. dci by-laws create some of the ills that affect the lower tier corps. There are reasons abound for all of this. If dci needs to be taken apart and put back together top down then that's what it takes.

Companies are participating in these deals to provide showcases of their products so they can sell to the scholastic band world. Drum corps itself is not even a ripple in their revenues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Glad you added the LOL this years Cabs set the record for the youngest soloist playing rump rump rump, did it well but may have been only 12 years old. My point with Roman he must be old enough to retire on gov't standards maybe way beyond at some point when they get real old they should be required to age out. Just a thought. Also as you know DCA does not keep the corps together all summer.

lol..I do think some could have retired in their 30s...lol I get ya and for the most part you could be right but in this case, it really is about one person's philosophy and has been like this for a very long time. Nothing wrong with it UNTIL it harms members OR they want to progress

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

In other words ban from DCI shows just like DCA did to a certain loud corps some years back. And that’s the only power I can think of 

Yep remember them from San Fran we bought them pizza that night in Scranton after finals so they would play the show for us in the lot they did. In that case it was the MMs that reeked the havoc. Pioneer if they go will be the fault of the staff and the dci financial structure. If done at the correct time before any tour fees are lost. These kids could be placed in other corps and all is well..  

8 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Companies are participating in these deals to provide showcases of their products so they can sell to the scholastic band world. Drum corps itself is not even a ripple in their revenues

I understand all of this. The band trucks coming to Indy picking up gear that was leased by the corps yep. It's change that I am pushing the Status Quo is not an excuse for failure, make things happen for the good. None of this is easy but what kind of worthwhile change ever is.

Edited by Bluzes

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

All the power you need. Think DCA will let them in if dci banned them? Screwed up as DCA is, no way in hell 

Edited by Jeff Ream