Pioneer Member Rant

As an educator, there are several things reported that are prime for a lawsuit.  DCI could be part of the problem if it new of these problems.  

I hate to say this, but I doubt that Pioneer can survive this.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Fan1961 said:

Let’s be honest, DCI makes up the rules on a individual corps basis! Fact! Yes they have basic by laws but only implemented the sexual harassment policy after the GH news broke and really had no choice!

There was nothing in the DCI by-laws that mentioned sexual harassment policies, so there was nothing that that they weren't enforcing. 

Their inartful original response to the GH story contained a fact ; their structure, heretofore, hasn't given them the ability to police corps' internal workings except as they pertain to things like making sure insurance policies are in place and that tax forms have been filed. I would imagine that in the months and years ahead, their policies with regards to how each member organization has to run their business with regards to harassment policies and member health will be beefed up and enforced, since the majority of their Board and most of the members understand how easily one bad organization can bring the whole collection of corps down.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dcikon2 said:

As an educator, there are several things reported that are prime for a lawsuit.  DCI could be part of the problem if it new of these problems.  

I been warning about that for a while. Anything discussed on here ever is a prime target for defense attorneys to build their case from. Avoidable malfeasance (I am not a Lawyer) goes a long way now that there is a record of everything. Warnings not heeded to. Evidence that dci/corps employee's IP's frequently visited this site and Reddit or whatever site the warnings came from and did nothing. Like walking a tightrope these days. A neighbor owns a data collection firm comes in with all kinds of internet bots, sniffers and other magic. They expose the liability from all kinds of related communication including sites like this.

Only 1 hour and 20 minutes away, 90 miles west of Milwaukee where Pioneer resides, is a pretty darn good up-and-coming corps from Oregon, WI.  SHADOW, as they are called. We enjoyed their show last week at prelims. Looks like Wisconsin is in good hands.  I’d suggest anyone at PIO checking them out. Until then, Pioneer needs to clean house, structure an independent board, hire a qualified director, and begin looking like, and acting like, a World Class drum corps. If not, shut them down. There are plenty of other options as witnessed by the tremendous growth of Open Class and a resurgence of  many other corps throughout DCI. 

By the way, how many times will corps fall prey to dictator directors that also control their own board? 

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 6

15 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Oregon, WI.  SHADOW

What a show they put on in Minn. The sun was just right reflecting hundreds of shadows from their shinny triangles on their backs, way cool. Posted at the time way to go Shadow using the sun as a prop. Of course my wife mentioned what happens on cloudy days. Tell the judges the sun truck broke down (sorry).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MikeD said:

Companies are participating in these deals to provide showcases of their products so they can sell to the scholastic band world. Drum corps itself is not even a ripple in their revenues.

If that is true, then the converse is that extending their special deals to more/all corps is not even a ripple in their costs.

3 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

If that is true, then the converse is that extending their special deals to more/all corps is not even a ripple in their costs.

Good to see that some folks can be so generous with other companies' products. :32_expressionless:

If Pio is suffering in equipment, but thy don't have a profile that is attractive for equipment sponsors, they can do what non-profits do and launch aggressive capital campaigns. That being said, it seems to me that their biggest needs are manpower and better management, and not better gear.

20 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and for gods sake get real busses

When I marched in 2001, we pushed those buses uphill both ways in the snow! Built character, it did. :tongue:

But seriously, get real buses.