Pioneer Member Rant

2 hours ago, Galen said:

When I marched in 2001, we pushed those buses uphill both ways in the snow! Built character, it did. :tongue:

But seriously, get real buses.

I don’t see them loaning those rolling wrecks out this fall to Waukesha...

2 hours ago, Galen said:

But seriously, get real buses

Is there a by-law that requires sort of a bank covenant, a way of proving you have enough capital to fund the tour? Maybe put in place after the Teal Sound incidence. Didn't Memphis Blues a long time ago run into money issues on tour? Then there was Legends 2017 saved by the bell from pulling a Teal Sound on the kids. The precedent has been set isn't it time to insure that this does not keep occurring?

Edited by Bluzes
typo

2 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Is there a by-law that requires sort of a bank covenant, a way of proving you have enough capital to fund the tour. Maybe put in place after the Teal Sound incidence. Didn't Memphis Blues a long time ago run into money issues on tour. Then there was Legends 2017 saved by the bell from pulling a Teal Sound on the kids? The precedent has been set isn't it time to insure that this does not keep occurring.

This check is performed on each corps at the beginning of each season.  While I can imagine they'd cut some slack to perennially-flush corps like BD or SCV or Colts, I also suspect they have corps like Pio on, what we call in my industry, "heightened supervision".

In OC, that means sitting in the hip-pocket of the corps executive staff.  In WC, I'm not sure exactly what length they go to in order to stay in contact during the season.

The bottom line is, when you try to run things old school and on the cheap, you cant retain kids and staff, you get the results you see on and off the field. I used to be sympathetic to Pio, since too many people want to dump them based on competitive success, but now. Surf may not be tearing up the scores page, but they take care of their kids

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, garfield said:

This check is performed on each corps at the beginning of each season. 

Thank You I thought that, even when dci puts their best foot forward as they do most always. There seems to be ways for bad actors to skirt the rules, what can one do? However run down buses w/o AC or maybe not even bathrooms is something the parents should notice and not just leave that for others to handle. 

Our son was a MM in the nighties and we sure did check out the buses. They were fine but I would never go there again they have a unique scent one never forgets.

Edited by Bluzes
typo

On 8/16/2018 at 1:40 PM, Liahona said:

The medical issue is one lawsuit away from rocking the world of DCI forever...blame will not just fall on the member corps involved either...DCI needs to step up to the plate and DO something...I have heard they DID do a little...but this needs to be in a more TRANSPARENT and public way IMO...

DCI and transparency are just not compatible. DCI is like an ostrich with it's head in the sand (if not somewhere else). They have been mishandling the PR/Communications for everything regarding sexual harassment/hazing/member welfare. They have know about many of the issues being investigated but have done NOTHING. They only reacted to the Cadets situation because of how public (and tragic) it was. DCI is beginning to act like the old YEA board. The only solution is to wipe out the current board and top executives and start all over. They are now ALL complicit in these events due to their complete lack of action. It is an embarrassment and they are going to do irreparable harm to the activity if they don't get their act together. For which I am not holding my breath. SHAME ON DCI!

4 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

They are now ALL complicit in these events due to their complete lack of action.

The jury's still out on inaction the off-season will tell a lot. PR is not the entire picture sometimes counsel weights that against bigger picture objectives and rules against public disclosure or closure at any period in time. The situation cropping up when it did was unfortunate. Actions were taken the Corps/dci/fans could not have handled it better what else needs to be said?

Whatever is/has/going to happen with Pioneer is still a private madder since it did not surface in the public eye. Why make it public, we know about it here and are concerned rightfully so. However I would not count dci out yet. Now they have a whole off-season to work things out but right before their busiest time, no. 

8 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

The jury's still out on inaction the off-season will tell a lot. PR is not the entire picture sometimes counsel weights that against bigger picture objectives and rules against public disclosure or closure at any period in time. The situation cropping up when it did was unfortunate. Actions were taken the Corps/dci/fans could not have handled it better what else needs to be said?

Whatever is/has/going to happen with Pioneer is still a private madder since it did not surface in the public eye. Why make it public, we know about it here and are concerned rightfully so. However I would not count dci out yet. Now they have a whole off-season to work things out but right before their busiest time, no. 

There are actions that are currently NOT being taken regarding active investigations. And clearly DCI ignored reports from Pioneer. Instead of coming forward and being forthcoming they are circling the wagons. The Cadets have shown the way to handle a crisis. This should be the model. Unfortunately... DCI and other corps have failed to learn this lesson. Pioneer is just another one of the shoes dropping from the centipede. More shoes to drop beyond Cadets, Crossmen. If they are proactive they can limit the scope of the damage. If try to conceal and hide then history will not look favorably upon either DCI or the other corps with issues. It is time to get our collective house in order around all of these issues. The treatment and care of the members should be the paramount priority. If we lose a corps or two or some legends become unmasked in the process... so be it.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

here are actions that are currently NOT being taken regarding active investigations.

Maybe so but how can we know that the active investigations won't get around to the inactions since they are still active? Furthermore active investigations are very reluctant to let info out as a rule. You may have some insight or inside information to all this that I am missing. I hope not and I know there are all kinds of innuendos about other things brewing that may not be good. But who knows there are still a lot of moving pieces that should fall in place soon. They might be working on things as we speak.