Pioneer Member Rant

15 minutes ago, MikeN said:

I don't think a WC corps has ever moved down to OC for *any* reason, competitive or backroom.  From my fuzzy memory back in the early 2000s, DCI was <deliberately> vague in adding a mechanism to demote a top-division corps when they created the WC/OC split.

Mike

Can’t remember the year, but wasn’t Magic of Orlando “forced” to compete in Div II when the became active again? It was obvious competitive wise they should have been in Div I. They ended up winning Div II and even made finals in Div I. 

16 minutes ago, xandandl said:

There is the odd man out of the Blue Stars who were #2 at the first DCI World Championship; but they went to parade corps or folded status before returning in Open Class and then moving to World Class (or Div I-II-III status of that time, etc.) You get the point.

You're close; but allow me to give you the real story. In '82, the Blue Stars Cadets were reformed as the feeder unit for the Blue Stars. The two corps coexisted that year. The "A" corps was in huge debt and folded after the '82 season. However, the Blue Star Cadets carried on with the eventual goal to become the Blue Stars and become an open class corps (Div I, world class, you all get it). The majority of the members of the Blue Star Cadets had connections to the corps from the '70s via family and friends. They started out as a parade corps and competed at CCI (Cadet Corps International, for all you young ones out there). In '85, the corps competed at DCM in A-60 and did quite well. In '86, they competed and DCM and returned to DCI competing in A-60 and were one spot shy of finals. Prior to the start of the '87 season, the original corps debt was paid off and the Blue Star Cadets were able to become the Blue Stars. It was fantastic year for the corps and laid the foundation for an eventual championship run in '89 in A-60. The corps placed second at DCM and third at DCI in '87 and qualified for quarterfinals for the first time since the original corps was competing. The corps repeated those placements in '88. Along came '89 and they were a powerhouse in A-60 and were also extremely competitive with a majority of the A class corps, as well. They won their first championship in '89. They would go on to win DCI in '93, '01, and '03. They would also win DCM championships in Div II and III throughout the years. The climb back to Div I took a long time; however, corps persevered and did what they had to do to remain competitive and current. '04 and '05 were preparations for the Blue Stars return to Div I. In '06, the dream was realized and the Blue Stars were back in Div I. The corps placed fourteenth in '06 and '07 before skyrocketing up to eighth place in '08. With the exception of '12; the corps has remained in the top 12. 

Edited by corps8294
  • Like 4

The drum corps activity used to be loaded with feeder corps: The Blue Star Cadets, Cadets of Dutch Boy, Cavalier Cadets, Phantom Regiment Cadets, Guardsmen Cadets, The Toros, The Madison Junior Scouts, The Iron Cross, Pioneer II,  just to name a bunch. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

The drum corps activity used to be loaded with feeder corps: The Blue Star Cadets, Cadets of Dutch Boy, Cavalier Cadets, Phantom Regiment Cadets, Guardsmen Cadets, The Toros, The Madison Junior Scouts, The Iron Cross, Pioneer II,  just to name a bunch. 

Kiltie Kadets, Wausau Pages, Bridgemen Kidets...

• Like 2

Those were the days where we had a local drum corps circuit.  So many people wouldn't be able to stand listening to younger kids learning anymore.  It's sad that the snobs have taken over.  I really miss those days in this context of watching all the younger kids learning to play and march drum corps.

Edited by Mello Dude
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

I don't think a WC corps has ever moved down to OC for *any* reason, competitive or backroom.  From my fuzzy memory back in the early 2000s, DCI was <deliberately> vague in adding a mechanism to demote a top-division corps when they created the WC/OC split.

Mike

Magic had to go OC when they came back in 02

• Like 1

Just now, GUARDLING said:

Yes and unfortunately were building the same problems, lots of promises and no delivery..shady to say the least. They were a great corps with such promise at the time

Well the crew that brought them back thought their DCA magic would help. Now both corps are dead 

• Like 2

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

Well the crew that brought them back thought their DCA magic would help. Now both corps are dead 

yep exactly, and they left behind a lot to dig out from which after a few more years as much as some good people tried it couldn't be done.