2019 Bloooooooooooooocoats

Doug Thrower told me arranging this was like a drive through the countryside of Iraq. So many places where things could just blow up. In my opinion, he's perfectly crafted a very serious and emotional piece that has perfect flow from beginning to end.

That feeling you get when you watch a Bloo ballad, that is what I felt during the whole show.

FYI, he first joined the Bluecoats in 1992, the year Bluecoats first attempted the Beatles.

This is not that show 🤣💙🍁💪

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

The-BLUECOATS-Liner-Notes-1-1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

COMING TO A STADIUM NEAR YOU | 31 NIGHTS ONLY

From the cacophony of the 1960s rose the one band to rule them all - The Beatles. The famous foursome not only shaped music history, but also informed the rapidly changing cultural landscape around them as the band evolved from their teeny-bopper roots to the revolutionary social awareness, psychedelia, and musical experimentation of their later work. Throughout their meteoric rise - from working class Liverpool and honing their craft in Hamburg, to Beatlemania, the Ed Sullivan show, and rocking Shea Stadium - The Beatles contributed not just soul-stirring medleys and unforgettable lyrics to the world of music, but hairstyles, fashion, and cultural consciousness across the universe.

It is in that spirit of collaboration and innovation that we present our 2019 program, “The BLUECOATS”. From “I Want to Hold Your Hand” to Abbey Road, we use 21st century technology, unavailable when the music was created, to harness the breadth and depth of the Beatles’ catalog and explore our own evolution - on stage and live in concert.

“The White Album”, the band’s eponymous 1968 release, was packaged as a double LP. The extended format, minimalistic presentations, and utilization of modern recording technology allowed the Beatles to simply be themselves, free from the constraints of the past.

With their relentless commitment to transformation, the mind, body, heart, and soul of John, Paul, George and Ringo changed the world of music forever. At the same time, they helped move the world of the 1960s from black and white to brilliant color, influencing fashion, social norms, and the zeitgeist at large. Above all, “The BLUECOATS” is a concert celebrating the forward-thinking spirit of love, collaboration, innovation, and inclusion that The Beatles embodied. It is also a celebration of our own heritage - from blue, to white, to blue again; and, with a little help from our friends, from working class Canton to the concert stage.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The BLUECOATS (Helvetica Black, angle).png

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Oh my! I almost wet myself. Love it! 

What do you mean “almost”? 😂

• Haha 5

25 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

Hmm I like The Beatles but I'm weary of how many different songs are in the show. I am excited for Eleanor Rigby.

If I know Doug... These (highly recognizable... don't forget that truth) tunes will be seamlessly re-composed into a masterpiece.  I wouldn't doubt that we will be hearing multiple (highly recognizable) tunes playing simultaneously in genius ways.

If Thrower is writing it... then there is plenty of room for the kitchen sink.

• Like 2

What is that shot of the strings in the teaser? 

Cannot wait to see this tonight. Looking forward to what they do with tempo (especially in Come Together) and how they "George Martin" it up. I think I wrote last year how this crew are the ones to do a show that demonstrates how innovative studio engineering can be translated on the field.

• Like 1