2019 Bloooooooooooooocoats

My mom is extremely excited about this show. Much more than I am. It's definitely her kind of drum corps show.

I was hoping for Woodstock haha.

I watched parts of a horrible recording from last night this morning while GMA was on in the background. I definitely need a second read on the whole thing. There are certainly some nice brass licks and an awesome Jazzy section- which is my thing. Can't wait to see how this show develops over the season!

Go Bloo!

Also, I went with my grandma last night, who LOVED The Beatles growing up.  She was absolutely floored.  I was shocked at how many songs she recognized and named off the top of her head.  She said it took her back to her younger days.  She was very happy after watching that show.  

• Like 6

Just now, DrumManTx said:

Also, I went with my grandma last night, who LOVED The Beatles growing up.  She was absolutely floored.  I was shocked at how many songs she recognized and named off the top of her head.  She said it took her back to her younger days.  She was very happy after watching that show.  

That's so neat. All of us geezers at the theater were humming along with Bloo as they took us down memory lane. 

I thought I caught a  camera shot of a soprano (sorry, trumpet) soloist who had a haircut and looked just like John Lennon. Was I hallucinating? 

• Like 4

Just now, OldSnareDrummer said:

That's so neat. All of us geezers at the theater were humming along with Bloo as they took us down memory lane. 

I thought I caught a  camera shot of a soprano (sorry, trumpet) soloist who had a haircut and looked just like John Lennon. Was I hallucinating? 

Knowing how they pay attention to little details like that I’m sure you’re not. They commit to their shows on every single level.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

That what it looked like to everyone at the theater we were in,right down to the blue sunglasses.

• Like 2

After reviewing this show, it seems oddly similar in production to Blue Devils. Of course also very similar to Session 44. Not sure how I feel about that.

The costume concept is so amazingly cool. Seeing a trend here as well that, from an art direction standpoint, I absolutely love. The granular concept of color palette and pattern concepts, split out into different sections and roles, is brilliant beyond belief. It's almost like a reinvention of the DCI uniform conceptually. Not dissimilar to what Crown did a decade ago that they owned for a number of years until they diverged from it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dans said:

I was very surprised by the small gap between Bluecoats, Crown, and Boston. I think Bluecoats design is way better than the other corps in competition last night. I was becoming bored last night until Bluecoats performed. When they get it right, Bluecoats design team is the best in DCI!

I don't disagree with you. The only corps with 0 total misses for me since  and including 2001.

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, dans said:

I was very surprised by the small gap between Bluecoats, Crown, and Boston. I think Bluecoats design is way better than the other corps in competition last night. I was becoming bored last night until Bluecoats performed. When they get it right, Bluecoats design team is the best in DCI!

Has anyone else appreciated the symbolic correlation between Bluecoats' show designs that target the audience... and the opening lyrics just after Strawberry Fields and the drum feature?

"Can I tell you something I think You'll understand... I wanna hold your hand"

I don't know if they intend this messaging, but Bluecoats shows, in spite of their abstract expression (or maybe because of the thoughtful and moderated implementation of abstraction) regularly seek to be understood by the paying audience.  It's a respectful approach to design that I hope they never lose.

It's like a goal for them to absorb the full price of the show ticket for each spectator.  It's like saying "We know what you came for... and we know what you didn't.  Here, this should make us all even."

I apologize for the depth here, but the placement of the lyrics and the way that they are delivered seems too intentional to ignore.

That line goes right to the audience... and it isn't even really metaphorical.  It's genuine.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2