uqnYLC3.jpg

Edited by superOOk
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, superOOk said:

Matthew Chinea - Bluecoats screamer!! 🎺🍁💪💙

uqnYLC3.jpg

I want to wear that to work Monday.

• Haha 2

As far back as I have been a fan and participant, this corps has always embraced entertaining crowds playing jazz, rock, and everything in between. Going on my 30th year as a fan and a participant,  it is this corps and Madison, to which I always have looked forward to seeing the most every year.

1988 Bloo was the first show I ever saw live. Later I learned about what fans discovered about them in 87- (so many cool stories on how that  corps earned its following). I was in the crowds and saw reactions from 93, 94, and especially 95-which had a very strong emotional connection to the crowd.  

Not to digress, but I  feel this organization has arguably been one of the the most entertaining over many decades. What they have done in this decade is extraordinary . But to really understand the corps, its worth us "older" fans to note the corps history to younger fans who are into Tilt, Kinetic Noise, "the wink" etc,  and let them know about C Jam Blues,  The WWII tribute, Seasons of Jazz,  My Funny Valentine, etc. and all things in between.  

This said, seeing them in the theater Thursday night was the continuation of so many years for me in being entertained.  

Thanks Bluecoats for always being that corps thrilling crowds year after year.  

Edited by Dmlkmen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I've never been a Beatles fan. But I can appreciate the impact they had on the world of music and the world in general.

When I first saw Session 44, I wasn't blown away with the concept. After three or four viewings and listenings, I began to understand what they were doing and why, and it's now one of my all time favorite DCI shows.

Each of the past six Bluecoats shows were trend setting. What's weird is, Tilt was SO mind blowing to me when I first saw it, and in retrospect it was the metaphor for what Bluecoats were becoming. This past two seasons, I believe we are seeing them settle in to a conceptual direction that to me sort of reminds me of Blue Devils. There are passages and sets where, if you changed them into BD uniforms, you couldn't tell the difference. I'm not entirely comfortable with this, honestly, but it doesn't make me enjoy what they are doing any less.

Costumes are, frankly, so perfect that you wonder why we objected when DSU was released. I think I like last year's uniforms best of all the past six, but I sure to love the way the designers are using color gradients and patterns. It is a concept that provides an entirely new level of design options.

I'm eager to see the west coast shows...if anyone can PM me a link...

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1

Correct me if I’m wrong... but it seems as though the bluecoats are literally comparing themselves to the beatles. Coincidentally this morning on Facebook someone shared the video of the Beatles performing on the Ed Sullivan show back in 1964. After he says ladies and gentlemen the Beatles it shows the absolute mad crowd freaking out, is that supposed to be us drum corps fans? Seems a little... cocky. Like arrogant cocky. There’s super cool moments in this show, like the opener and closer, very impressive. But, I kinda can’t help but eye roll at the whole concept. It’d be different if it was a mash up show or something but I can’t see why else they’re playing the Beatles other than to say, “we’re the Beatles of this whole activity, better than you. *eye wink*” just kinda leaves a bitter taste for me.  Their show name is THEIR name for crying out loud... Am I wrong?

Edited by johnpendell

1 hour ago, superOOk said:

Matthew Chinea - Bluecoats screamer!! 🎺🍁💪💙

uqnYLC3.jpg

Nice beard too! I'm sure he's gotta be under 21....

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, johnpendell said:

Correct me if I’m wrong... but it seems as though the bluecoats are literally comparing themselves to the beatles. Coincidentally this morning on Facebook someone shared the video of the Beatles performing on the Ed Sullivan show back in 1964. After he says ladies and gentlemen the Beatles it shows the absolute mad crowd freaking out, is that supposed to be us drum corps fans? Seems a little... cocky. Like arrogant cocky. There’s super cool moments in this show, like the opener and closer, very impressive. But, I kinda can’t help but eye roll at the whole concept. It’d be different if it was a mash up show or something but I can’t see why else they’re playing the Beatles other than to say, “we’re the Beatles of this whole activity, better than you. *eye wink*” just kinda leaves a bitter taste for me.  Their show name is THEIR name for crying out loud... Am I wrong?

I just think they’re immersing themselves into that mindset, I don’t think they’re trying to be cocky or arrogant about it.   I think of it as more of a tribute myself.   I don’t think they could do the show without trying to emulate them in every way.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I love Bloo this year, and I would love to see them medal, but if they don’t, it won’t change how much I love this show. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Nice beard too! I'm sure he's gotta be under 21....

Checking birth certificates, are we? 😂

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, johnpendell said:

That's because that was the VERY FIRST TIME that The Beatles had performed on the Ed Sullivan show, and the very first time that The Beatles had performed in America. Now, the crowds freaked out every time they performed, especially during the "OOOOO"s during When I Saw Her Standing There, or any of the other multiple songs they put those in for that effect, but I don't think Bluecoats expect us to lose our minds over this. I think they used it because their show is self titled, and works with how Ed Sullivan announced The Beatles.

• Like 3