2019 Bloooooooooooooocoats

13 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

yeah... if it doesn't rank, there may be some blooing without the "l" going on (a la 90's Madison Scouts retreats).

I think it has the brass, percussion and GE chops to win the whole thing, but I'm not sure about the guard. I'm not a visual guy so my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt, but of the many times I've watched the video of this show I've never had my eye drawn to an "oh wow" moment with the guard. I do like the featured "spirit guides", but other than that they never stand out for me. If anything holds them back it might be that, but otherwise this show has "somewhere in the top 3" written all over it.

• Like 2

Just now, Super Don-O said:

I think it has the brass, percussion and GE chops to win the whole thing, but I'm not sure about the guard. I'm not a visual guy so my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt, but of the many times I've watched the video of this show I've never had my eye drawn to an "oh wow" moment with the guard. I do like the featured "spirit guides", but other than that they never stand out for me. If anything holds them back it might be that, but otherwise this show has "somewhere in the top 3" written all over it.

I was just saying this to a coworker the other day... I fear that the guard caption (again due to writing and 'staging') may be the 2019 version of the 2018 percussion discrepancy.

Hopefully the show is written to keep the guard in top 4 or 5 point value... but somewhat like you, I would readily say that I don't know jack squat about that stuff.  Waiting for the first big line-up.

I actually feel very comfortable with this guard. There have been years I haven’t had that feeling, but not this year. But like you, I am not even close to being an expert on guards.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Super Don-O said:

Spirit guides aren’t scoring visual points, more GE.

• Like 1

Its a Jim Moore Guard.. You take the good and the bad that comes with that.. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Poppycock said:

They’re integrated perfectly into what might be the most entertaining production ever in the history of DCI. The guard is covering all the elements, equipment, dance, movement and color. The focus of the production is the entire pageantry and coherency of both visual and music. No other corps brings that level of entertainment so accessible to a broad audience. 

I agree completely!  I absolutely love the guard presentation this year and it might be the strongest guard they've had this early!

• Like 3

They tracked .3 higher tonight than Crown last did with Cadets.

So they certainly don't seem to be compressing their spread with the field.  Couple full days of rehearsal are nice.