2019 Bloooooooooooooocoats

Hey Dempsey! 2018 called and they want their drum judge back!

Any thoughts on that score tonight?  Seems to be an interesting read given Bloo Bangers placement so far.

The content score is a puzzlement.

😲

• Like 3

4 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

Hey Dempsey! 2018 called and they want their drum judge back!

Any thoughts on that score tonight?  Seems to be an interesting read given Bloo Bangers placement so far.

The content score is a puzzlement.

😲

I was looking at the caption scores. Bloo still comes out on top but you'd think the judges individually were watching a completely different set of drum corps with completely different programs- especially with BD vs Bloo in the music captions. Stuff couldn't have changed that much in 2 days.

Some inter-rater reliability there. Looks to me like the judges are, legitimately calling it as they see it. 

Should be very interesting tonight with the full field to see how things turn out- especially considering that BK outscored Cadets in percussion earlier in the week then they were 2nd and 6th in Denton(Cadets outscored Bloo last night)

Edited by ThePlanets
Forgot about Denton show- but more inconsistency in percussion demonstrated this week there
  • Like 1

Bloo lost almost half a point in percussion. Maybe it was a bad run but it confuses me considering they placed 3rd and were within .25 of Vanguard 3 days ago

posted from the DrumScorps app

13 minutes ago, Cfmninjaa said:

Bloo lost almost half a point in percussion. Maybe it was a bad run but it confuses me considering they placed 3rd and were within .25 of Vanguard 3 days ago

I think someone posting in the Katy, TX thread indicated they heard some phasing on some of the larger drill forms? Not positive but it might have just been a bad run.

Yes, here it is. 

besson57 wrote:  "There were some timing issues in the show tonight, particularly when the corps was spread to the 20’s on both sides. Not sure if that contributed to the surprisng score, but it was noticeable even to a non drummer like me. "

Edited by Super Don-O
add info

24 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

Stuff couldn't have changed that much in 2 days.

Yes, it absolutely should have changed that much in two days. This is my problem with judging today. Judges seem to judge more on expectation rather than reality. We should see much more flip-flopping in captions and placements than we do. So, when I see a judge who judges percussion like the judge last night did, I think that judge is actually doing a better job than the other judges. The problem is, when one judge is doing their job like last night percussion judge, and the other judges really aren’t, then one corps gets screwed. 

It’s like the first show for Madison this year, they placed 2nd in one GE caption, then literally what they placed overall in every show since. 

Judging needs to be revamped, and total GE needs to be worth less points. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Super Don-O said:

I think someone posting in the Katy, TX thread indicated they heard some phasing on some of the larger drill forms? Not positive but it might have just been a bad run.

Even so... The content score is whack.

I'm surprised that the pro-on-field-judge crowd isn't chanting a loud unison "we told you so" with the hops and jumps that we are seeing.

9 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Yes, it absolutely should have changed that much in two days. This is my problem with judging today. Judges seem to judge more on expectation rather than reality. We should see much more flip-flopping in captions and placements than we do. So, when I see a judge who judges percussion like the judge last night did, I think that judge is actually doing a better job than the other judges. The problem is, when one judge is doing their job like last night percussion judge, and the other judges really aren’t, then one corps gets screwed. 

It’s like the first show for Madison this year, they placed 2nd in one GE caption, then literally what they placed overall in every show since. 

Judging needs to be revamped, and total GE needs to be worth less points. 

Ehhhh.

What I think you are looking for is tighter scoring that allows placement jumping.

But that isn't what this is.  It is unreliable feedback when nearly a half point discrepancy shows up in a single subcaption between shows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cfmninjaa said:

Good grief.  I haven’t look at the recap.  That’s crazy. 

2 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

Ehhhh.

What I think you are looking for is tighter scoring that allows placement jumping.

But that isn't what this is.  It is unreliable feedback when nearly a half point discrepancy shows up in a single subcaption between shows.

Percussion ordinals this week

El Dorado KS

1. SCV

2. BD

3. BK

4. Cadets

Broken Arrow OK

1. SCV

2. BD

3. Bloo

4. Crown

5. Cadets

6. Cavaliers

7. Boston

Denton TX

1. SCV

2. Cadets

3. Cavaliers

4. Crown

5. Boston

6. BK

Katy, TX

1. SCV

2. BD

3. Cavaliers

4. Cadets

5. Crown

6. Bloo

So...SCV and BD are the top of the crop for percussion...but in 3-8...who knows.