ajlemm

2019 Bloooooooooooooocoats

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

Did you bother looking at the....oh never mind.  Every forum needs its....oh never mind.

This design staff goes back to the drawing board after every season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Wonderful to meet you Terri. 

Yeah, that was um...well....interesting.  

Safe travels. 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FlamMan said:

Bluecoats had the best show and should have won this year. This years BC show is probably in my team photo for greatest shows of all time. This years BD show isnt close to being in my top 5 of BD shows. 

Every successful brand has things they are known for. BD has things they “go to” just as Crown, Cadets, Phantom, SCV, Cavaliers and now Bluecoats do. Blue Devils design shows to win the gold, they literally know how to do it, and they do it over and over again. They know the judges, they know what they are looking for, and they have the talent on and off the field to give them what they want. They have literally mastered the art and science of winning a gold medal.

Not all DCI corps have the goal of winning the gold medal every year. Most in fact do not, and most in fact cannot. BD is a destination corps and they almost always have the most experienced, and oldest, corps in the field. They almost always have the highest age out rate in dci, and like Alabama and Clemson in college football, they go out and recruit more of the same levels of talent, rinse and repeat.

It is a self fulfilling prophecy, they can continue to dominate the activity because they can continue to dominate the activity. I’m not saying that as a criticism, it’s a simple observation. This is why pro sports franchises have things like an inverted draft order, strict free agency and transfer rules, a hard salary and staff size cap, etc. Without these things, only a handful of franchises would have a realistic chance to win a championship.

Until and unless kids start getting paid to be in dci, rather than paying to be in it, the system we have is the system we will continue to have.

That said the activity is getting deeper and certainly more diverse. I think it will continue to evolve in that direction. To the degree that the member corps want to have shows be more appealing to the crowd and not “just” score well, they will change the judging rules (as they have done of late) to make the sheets reflect this. While I found this BD show to be sort of boring and sterile compared to recent past BD shows (when the word Zeus is the first spoken word of your show, I’m probably out!) it is certainly more entertaining than many if not most of the shows that won gold earlier in this decade.

Bluecoats have carved out a unique space in this activity. It’s not for everyone, and like BD that’s okay. If you love Bluecoats’ style, you probably won’t love Blue Devils’ style, though there are now more similarities than differences between the two.

That said, I remind myself that first and foremost this is an activity that kids pay $5000 apiece to participate in, and nearly all of them have no realistic chance of medaling at any point in their dci career. The vast majority of those kids have life changing experiences that help them become world class musicians and educators, and that in fact is what this activity is for—not winning gold medals.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Terri SchehrI have seen you talk about blast zone seats for a bit.  I was intrigued enough to swap seats from 340 to 140 for semi’s.  

Life. Changed.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Buckeye said:

@Terri SchehrI have seen you talk about blast zone seats for a bit.  I was intrigued enough to swap seats from 340 to 140 for semi’s.  

Life. Changed.

Yeah, it does change you. Enjoy! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, tedrick said:

Thank you Bluecoats!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Teddy Roosevelt's "The Man in the Arena"

 

It will be very hard to top this season - the design staff needs to go back to the drawing board and chart a new direction - more demand more achievement -

Guard needs to be equal or better to Vanguard and Devils

Drum Line needs a total overhaul and needs to contribute.

See ya next year.

"Drum line needs a total overhaul and needs to contribute"???!?!?!

You mean that 3rd place drumline??  What a silly statement.  Insults the wonderful talent and performance of this group.

Bluecoats need to keep doing what they are doing.  Not emulate the Blue Devils.  I was at Finals in 2016.  As a BD homer, I knew Bloo had it, all three nights. Stay on the path you're on! 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Yeah, that was um...well....interesting.  

Safe travels. 

Now I want footage of this meeting :laughing:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Every successful brand has things they are known for. BD has things they “go to” just as Crown, Cadets, Phantom, SCV, Cavaliers and now Bluecoats do. Blue Devils design shows to win the gold, they literally know how to do it, and they do it over and over again. They know the judges, they know what they are looking for, and they have the talent on and off the field to give them what they want. They have literally mastered the art and science of winning a gold medal.

Not all DCI corps have the goal of winning the gold medal every year. Most in fact do not, and most in fact cannot. BD is a destination corps and they almost always have the most experienced, and oldest, corps in the field. They almost always have the highest age out rate in dci, and like Alabama and Clemson in college football, they go out and recruit more of the same levels of talent, rinse and repeat.

It is a self fulfilling prophecy, they can continue to dominate the activity because they can continue to dominate the activity. I’m not saying that as a criticism, it’s a simple observation. This is why pro sports franchises have things like an inverted draft order, strict free agency and transfer rules, a hard salary and staff size cap, etc. Without these things, only a handful of franchises would have a realistic chance to win a championship.

Until and unless kids start getting paid to be in dci, rather than paying to be in it, the system we have is the system we will continue to have.

That said the activity is getting deeper and certainly more diverse. I think it will continue to evolve in that direction. To the degree that the member corps want to have shows be more appealing to the crowd and not “just” score well, they will change the judging rules (as they have done of late) to make the sheets reflect this. While I found this BD show to be sort of boring and sterile compared to recent past BD shows (when the word Zeus is the first spoken word of your show, I’m probably out!) it is certainly more entertaining than many if not most of the shows that won gold earlier in this decade.

Bluecoats have carved out a unique space in this activity. It’s not for everyone, and like BD that’s okay. If you love Bluecoats’ style, you probably won’t love Blue Devils’ style, though there are now more similarities than differences between the two.

That said, I remind myself that first and foremost this is an activity that kids pay $5000 apiece to participate in, and nearly all of them have no realistic chance of medaling at any point in their dci career. The vast majority of those kids have life changing experiences that help them become world class musicians and educators, and that in fact is what this activity is for—not winning gold medals.

I think the bolded sentence is nonsense. Liking BD's style and Bloo's style isn't mutually exclusive unless you have the narrowest of palates. 

This year was probably the first year since 2011 this decade that I did not particularly like Bloo's show and yet I've been a homer for BD this whole time. Both corps have been consistently putting out amazing show after amazing show and yes, their styles are different but they're wonderful in their own ways

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cappybara said:

I think the bolded sentence is nonsense. Liking BD's style and Bloo's style isn't mutually exclusive unless you have the narrowest of palates. 

This year was probably the first year since 2011 this decade that I did not particularly like Bloo's show and yet I've been a homer for BD this whole time. Both corps have been consistently putting out amazing show after amazing show and yes, their styles are different but they're wonderful in their own ways

Key word: Probably.

And I would say you are somewhat unique to the fan base of this activity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a season! 🍁💙

TVndVtx.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.