2019 Bloooooooooooooocoats

The Beatles can’t truly be understood unless you understand what pop music was at that time. The Beatles were the first global musical act to, in effect, legitimatize  individual expression in music. Before them it was not only acceptable, but almost mandatory, for artists to perform other people’s music. And to do it in a standardized way. Elvis and The Beatles were nuclear blasts to the entire pop music establishment.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

It could be somewhat generational.  The Beatles defined my generation. I had a Beatles lunchbox, Beatles figurines, and Paul’s picture on my bedroom walls. This show for me, is like I’ve died and gone to heaven.  Especially Blackbird.  My favorite Beatles song.  

I wish I still had that Beatles memorabilia.  That’s gotta be worth beaucoup Bucks now. 😉

i was born in 76, and i'll admit that it took me until my early 20s to get into the beatles/beach boys/stones, and then dylan.  

i was just really bored with the grunge stuff that was EVERYWHERE when i was a kid, and ended up going backwards.  i learned that they were the foundation of the sound that we hear in pretty much everything bands wrote from the 70s on, including today. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

The Beatles can’t truly be understood unless you understand what pop music was at that time. The Beatles were the first global musical act to, in effect, legitimatize  individual expression in music. Before them it was not only acceptable, but almost mandatory, for artists to perform other people’s music. And to do it in a standardized way. Elvis and The Beatles were nuclear blasts to the entire pop music establishment.

The world stopped when they were on Ed Sullivan.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Lance said:

i still don't understand how people can say "i don't really care for the beatles"

you won't find many groups, pop, indie, heavy metal, or otherwise, whose sound isn't a direct result of what the beatles did in their studio.

it's like saying "i don't really care for music"

I just don't care for them. And as Terri said, it's very much generational. Many of my peers didn't grow up listening to the Beatles and you'll find that the kids who are in high school right now are even worse off. 

I've listened to a couple of their songs in the past and it wasn't my cup of tea. The only song I would recognize from them is Here Comes the Sun and that's mostly because it just shows up in movies/pop culture so much. 

It's possible to listen to two artists from the same or similar genre and love one of them and not care for the other. Just because one predates the other doesn't mean the person doesn't care for music. So ridiculous. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lance said:

i was born in 76, and i'll admit that it took me until my early 20s to get into the beatles/beach boys/stones, and then dylan.  

i was just really bored with the grunge stuff that was EVERYWHERE when i was a kid, and ended up going backwards.  i learned that they were the foundation of the sound that we hear in pretty much everything bands wrote from the 70s on, including today. 

I keep telling my son who loves the music I grew up with to get his own music. He keeps telling me, no, his generation’s music sucks.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, NCWVUFAN said:

I don't care for the Beatles either, but I do think they had a huge impact on rock and pop. I also think they were very innovative and artistic, just didn't like their style much back in the day. I actually cringed when their show was announced before Detroit. Knowing their creative staff and that the Beatles had a lot of very good source music I remained optimistic. That being said, I was blown away at the theater opening night.

Amen! Couldn't have said it better myself!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

I respect what the Beatles did for the music industry. That being said there are only a handful of Beatles songs I enjoy. 

I am also a huge 90s Alt rock but don't listen to much Nirvana AND I think Dave Grohl is one of the greatest rock musicians of all time.🤷

It's a matter of personal preference. Anyway I saw the scores from tonight and go BLOO! This show is electric.

Dave Grohl on the Beatles. Pretty sure he isn't talking about their #1 radio hits, which are what young people think of when they hear the word "Beatles".  Same with The Beach Boys, whose really good stuff sounds avant-garde even today. :

“If it weren’t for The Beatles, I would not be a musician,” Grohl wrote. “From a very young age I became fascinated with their songs, and over the years have drowned myself in the depth of their catalogue. Their groove and their swagger. Their grace and their beauty. Their dark and their light. The Beatles seemed to be capable of anything.”

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I also don’t get people who look down on “covering” The Beatles, while “covering” Rachmaninov is somehow especially different. 

The arrangements this team dreams up are so amazing, so beautiful, and so unique, I almost don’t care anymore who they decide to “cover.”

Totally agree....  I would also point how that MUCH of Bloo's show this year is ORIGINAL Thrower/Rarick magic INSPIRED by The Beatles.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I keep telling my son who loves the music I grew up with to get his own music. He keeps telling me, no, his generation’s music sucks.

That explains why there are so many classic rock stations.   

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lance said:

Dave Grohl on the Beatles. Pretty sure he isn't talking about their #1 radio hits, which are what young people think of when they hear the word "Beatles".  Same with The Beach Boys, whose really good stuff sounds avant-garde even today. :

“If it weren’t for The Beatles, I would not be a musician,” Grohl wrote. “From a very young age I became fascinated with their songs, and over the years have drowned myself in the depth of their catalogue. Their groove and their swagger. Their grace and their beauty. Their dark and their light. The Beatles seemed to be capable of anything.”

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.  I'd love to blast the Bluecoats playing Elanor Rigby and Come Together down Dave Grohl alley in Warren,OH. 

Off topic but I love Them Crooked Vultures (Dave on Drums). Imagine Bloo playing that.

• Like 1