2018 Corps Reviews

I was surprised to see that there were only 6 show reviews for the whole Summer. Those are my favorite threads to read on DCP.

So, with that said, what are your reviews of the corps you saw this summer (live or online) and how their shows and seasons went?

HERE IS MINE...

SCV - WOW! Complete game changer. That horn line? When they aren't poking you in the eye, they're shoving you in the chest. High, loud, and long.... Just how drum corps brass fans like it. Guard? Amazing! Staging? The guard coming into the middle in the ballad was the simplest and one of the most memorable moments of the summer.

BD - Nobody knows Saturday night better then them. I just wish the end of the show wasn't so obvious from second one of the show.

BLUECOATS - Amazinly amazing performers that were consistent from the very first show of the summer with this beautiful and trendsetting show.

CROWN - (Disclaimer: I have history here) By far the best show title of the Summer when I heard it. Horns never let down, percussion was their best in their history, and the guard is coming into their own after the change of designers. Crown never disappoints with their precision and quality.

BOSTON - No one could say they didn't get their show. They spelled it out for you. Fun ending. The guard is a proverbial fireworks show.

CAVIES - Interesting concept. Lots of new mixed with old in the show. It gave the long time viewer plenty to wrap their mind and heart around, the new viewer something to talk/think about, and had amazing musical concepts.

CADETS - (Homer review here - beware) For nearly 30 years I stayed away from the corps, because I did not feel welcome. This year was different. Nods to both the old and the new. They played well, marched well, and if you saw the video of the z-pull to the end with the maroon and gold uniform coming out, you also saw that the guard was freakin' clean. They came a long long way over the course of the summer and should be very proud of their growth. My pride for this organization and the past 5 months is both wide and deep. #marchstraightandtrue

BLUE STARS - (Disclaimer: I have history here) Always a fun and entertaining concept. I wonder what would happen if you get a little darker and edgy, while mixing in some entertainment.... Hmmmmmm? Think Tarpon Springs "Paranormal" show.

BLUE KNIGHTS - A few years back when you did the show with the mirrored props on the field, I fell in love with you. I guess I have been waiting for that same sort of connection again. You always march, play, spin well, but I want to "feel" when I watch you, like that show a few years ago.

MANDARINS - Welcome to Finals! Fun and unique show. Great brass line. I hope you mix more staging with drill next year. I am sure you will.

REGIMENT - (Disclaimer: I have history here) - WOW! You guys certainly stepped out of the norm for you the past two years. Regiment without helmets some how seems odd to me. Such an iconic look that was missing this summer. The guard and sets/performance environment were fun and a great foundation for the future! When I think of Regiment, I think of opera, passion, big, huge, almost over the top, then subtle and inviting. My only wish this summer was when you got to the final wedge in the show, that the musical arrangement modulated back to the original. Somebody called this the Windam Hill version of New World. I don't know about that, but sometimes you just need to leave the classics alone.

CROSSMEN - Another team that I love to watch because of so many people that I know that teach there. It's so hard when you are good at a particular genre of music (jazz). If you do it too long, you get pigeon holed into it and sometimes when you get away from what you are good at, your audience scratches their head. I hope in the future you can find your roots and move into the future at the time.

SPIRIT - I was hoping for a tie on Friday anywhere in the top 12 that would have made you a Finalist. If you keep doing shows like this year's you will attract more talent and make it harder on the Top 12 to not fall out. Good for you. Keep knocking on that door... better yet... go kick it down next year!

I got to put your uniform on for one parade in Nov of 1983 after Garfield won DCI when I visited a girlfriend that was in the corps. Freddy Martin handed me a uniform and a baritone and told me to get into the arc. When I said I didn't know the music, he said, "You will learn it as we go, but play LOUD!" LOL Sage advice and I am glad to still call Freddy a friend and mentor. I guess that makes me a Spirit alum, huh? LOL

ACADEMY - Fun show. You took us to school... and you did it well. You made the case for Finals having 15 corps instead of 12 and I would have to agree that I would have loved to see you again on Saturday night. You deserved it.

COLTS - Another team that should be a shining example of why there should be 15 corps in Finals. Fun show. Done well. Good for you.

MADISON - I don't get it. I really don't. I sincerely enjoyed your show this Summer. The judging community kept you out of Finals a few short years ago with more standing ovations on that Friday than any corps that made Finals that night. Last year, you were unique and different, while still keeping your trademark "machismo." I love this year's show, but I did find myself craving that classic Madison long, loud, high, make me want to stand up and pump my fist in the air moment. I hope that next year you can find the balance between the two.

TROOPERS - Two sunbursts in the same show? One in the traditional and the other in more of a costume? You literally pointed yourself into the future. I can't wait to see what comes out of Casper in 2019.

PAC CREST - What you guys do on a short season always seems to amaze me. You do World Class drum corps on an Open Class length of season. You should be proud of all your accomplishments. Every year I love what you put on the field.

MUSIC CITY - Welcome to World Class! Fun show. I have a few people there that I know from over the years and could not be happier for how they are contributing to our activity. Keep being you. What the Hell?! Give us an all out Nashville show next year. I bet that would be fun!!!

OREGON CRUSADERS - Another corps that does not play the tradition role and not only loves to be "out there" but craves it. Keep exploring what you are digging into. Who knows? Maybe somebody notices you and rewards you for it real soon.

(The remainder of the top 24 world class corps I really did not see enough to comment, so I will not)

A couple more that I saw this summer...

SCVC - SHUDDUP! NO SERIOUSLY... SHUDDUP! What the world corps was to their championship, you were to yours. Game changers in the Open Class. You always live up to your name... VANGUARD!

BDB - Another corps that looks more WC than OC. WOW!

LEGENDS - Your hornline always sounds like a Finalist to me. You certainly know how to train a brass line and then unleash them on the audience.

LOUISIANA STARS - This corps has some serious talent and performers with grit and determination. I hope you stay and make that corps something really special and if you don't... There will be some World Class corps with some new members that will probably outwork their vets.

ENCORPS - Fun... Entertaining... and you put a corps together in what seems like 6 months and did it as well as any other Sound Sport group... or better. Who said that the NJ/NYC/PA area couldn't have another drum corps and it be successful? You stomped on that theory with some NJ attitude for sure!

Edited by njthundrrd
  • Like 9

This misses your point, but just wanted to say that while there are only six review posts in the actual Show Reviews section of the forums, pretty much every official show thread had one or two folks who posted reviews within that thread. Unfortunately it’s just really hard to find those individual posts within the tens or hundreds of pages. 

Edited by brassboy
  • Like 1

On 8/18/2018 at 8:12 AM, njthundrrd said:

Regiment without helmets some how seems odd to me. Such an iconic look that was missing this summer. 

Loved your review and I COULD NOT AGREE MORE about the helmets.  I miss them on the Bluecoats too.  Many corps have dropped their shakos... their aussies.  I was happy that Bones kept theirs.  Pac Crest and a handful of others wore shakos.  Headwear is becoming a thing of the past.   Hopefully this is a trend that reverses at some point.  How far away from traditional drum corps will the activity get before things swing back the other way?  Or will they ever?