Rules Proposal #1 - Reorganization of Ordinal Costs and Point Balances

hostrauser

Ordinal and Point Pool Realignment  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Should the ordinals be realigned to take into account the actual placement of corps, with DCPI point value to be adjusted accordingly to TBD levels?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/27/2018 at 01:56 AM

Proposed by: Chris Rohn

Details: 

Poll closes Sunday evening. Get your votes in!

I'm a yes here, with some thoughts on where the caps should be (in constrast to the numbers Chris assembled).

By my math, simply scaling based on the maximum cost (new cap = ((old cap / 200) * 320) = 240 --> 250 over the course of the season) would put the effective purchasing power of the world class cap at where open class is currently. This makes the (admittedly simplistic) assumption that corps will spend the maximum on GE, and divide the rest of their cap evenly over remaining captions.

If we instead take that assumption and apply those placements to the proposed costs, the World Class cap should instead be 265 --> 275.

I'd propose going somewhere between those, say:

World: 250 --> 265

Open: 220 --> 230

A: 190 --> 200

My proposal for new caps would be to add the difference in maximum points per caption ( (40-25) x 8 = 120) to the current starting caps which would make the new starting caps (and ending caps with 1/2 point increases):

World: 280 --> 285/290

Open: 245 --> 250/255

A: 220 --> 225/230

This would account for the increase in overall caption cost and leave purchasing power at current levels, in theory.

I also stand by my idea in the proposal thread to put additional caption limits on Open and A as a measure to add diversity to caption choices

Since it looks like this will pass, I will be "running the numbers" over the next week to see what the best new point totals should be for each division. All of your recommendations will be looked at, thank you.

• 9 months later...

Since no World Class corps aside from the now defunct Pioneer has placed lower than 30th in Prelims, the new costs this season will range from 1 (Jersey Surf) up to 30 (Vanguard).

To accommodate that, the starting points for each class have been bumped up to 180 (World), 150 (Open), and 120 (Class A). The ending point pool for each class is still being determined, but will likely be 195-200 (World), 160-162 (Open), and 125ish (Class A).

With this change did the cap of GE in A go away? It couldn't be higher than 20 pts previously but with this change that would be very low!  Are we just forgoing for this season?

I was just about to ask the same question. 

On 6/4/2019 at 9:02 PM, gcurrier said:

With this change did the cap of GE in A go away? It couldn't be higher than 20 pts previously but with this change that would be very low!  Are we just forgoing for this season?

The GE Rule for Class A is no one in the Top 5. That remains in effect. So with the point adjustment, now it can't be higher than 25 points.

Or, if it's easier to remember: Santa Clara Vanguard, Blue Devils, Bluecoats, Carolina Crown, and Boston Crusaders cannot be used for Class A GE captions.

Thank you! Not currently using now myself but wanted to make sure we are course