2019 Show Ideas

2 hours ago, xandandl said:

Does the admiral still have you sitting in his closet to see whether you are seaworthy for his nuclear submarines?  Talk to the New London crowd about this.

I would say the days of sitting in the closet have passed away since Uncle Hymie was here.  Some vestiges remain of him though. 

(I am still heavily engrossed and working in that submarine culture in New London). 

15 hours ago, Sideways said:

Drum corps or marching band this is one of the greatest times of all time.  Being from Michigan I had the pleasure of seeing this show develop in ‘99...brilliant design and amazing execution.

A couple of DCI names in that show.

Plymouth's director was David McGrath (now program coordinator for Cavies); visual caption head Mike Tarr (now BAC); arranger Don Hill (fmr Bluecoats, Cadets, PR); drill Mitch Rogers (fmr Bluecoats, Cavies); visual designer, guard Alan Spaeth (fmr PR).

• Like 1

On 8/24/2018 at 6:29 PM, Cadevilina Crown said:

I suggested this a few years ago for Phantom. Great piece filled with plenty of moments made for drum corps, but as a whole show it might be a bit slow-moving (considering that it is, after all, a requiem mass and not a symphony or concerto).

Could probably just use the first 4 movements and use the Sanctus as the closer (would need to take the tempo up a couple clicks on it). 

Edited by Toby
  • Like 2

Shows focused on entrainment but leaves room for creative design. They confuse authors of "epic musical fail" threads from the musical elite if the unwashed masses actually likes them.

Phantom - Wonder Woman

Jersey Surf - Ant-man & The Wasp

Genesis - The Incredibles

Boston - Adrift  - they enlarge the ocean to cover entire field. They float adrift spelling out their frustrations. We may even get a glimpse of the USS Minnow.

Cavies - McDonald's Monopoly Movie - Loosely depicting how dci's top 8 debacle is eating away at the orgs ability to run a youth activity in todays world. Large Big Mac Props.

Madison - Showman The Musical

Music City - Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - loosely fashioned about the fall of dci but not enough to upset the apple cart.

Troopers - Damsel 

Crown - New Bohemian Movie

Music City - Top Gun Sequel

Blue Nights - Transformers

• Like 1

I know, there were shows, this year, about the day of the dead, and the underworld, but I have been listening to dark cabaret recently, and I can imagine a bluey, jazzy, swing winter guard, or drum corps show,  based on this.

Jeff Wayne's musical version of The War of the Worlds 

Une Nuit A Paris - 10cc

Edited by Mikah

I had a dream (the other post reminded me of it haha) of an alternate opening to Crown’s show this year. Instead of having the brass awkwardly dancing around with horns, the entire hornline had flags and were literally sprinting around, mixing all sorts of insanely fast drill with some awesome flag work, all while the tension built with the percussion and electronics.  Then they threw the flags away to pick up their horns, and immediately blew everyone’s brain everyone’s brains out with Bruckner. Way better!! At least in my head... haha. But it got me thinking has anyone put the hornline on guard equipment, whether during a solo musical feature or percussion break... it could make some awesome visual moments. 

1 minute ago, Who's on first? said:

I had a dream (the other post reminded me of it haha) of an alternate opening to Crown’s show this year. Instead of having the brass awkwardly dancing around with horns, the entire hornline had flags and were literally sprinting around, mixing all sorts of insanely fast drill with some awesome flag work, all while the tension built with the percussion and electronics.  Then they threw the flags away to pick up their horns, and immediately blew everyone’s brain everyone’s brains out with Bruckner. Way better!! At least in my head... haha. But it got me thinking has anyone put the hornline on guard equipment, whether during a solo musical feature or percussion break... it could make some awesome visual moments. 

yes, many examples over the years. Didn't Cavies put theirs on rifles one year? (no tosses but manual of arms type stuff.)