2019 Show Ideas

4 minutes ago, xandandl said:

yes, many examples over the years. Didn't Cavies put theirs on rifles one year? (no tosses but manual of arms type stuff.)

Oh yeah, I seem to remember that in, what, 2010? Mad World with the “This is... My Rifle!” section. Certainly made for a cool moment. 

• Like 2

On 8/25/2018 at 7:23 PM, xandandl said:

exactly the 'artistic type of show' which has little GE, does not communicate well to the whole audience but just to the nerds, and is the type of show I hope DCI has seen the last of.

Now now, as long as it isn't the sole type of show out there, I see nothing wrong with a little diversity on the field. 

16 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Now now, as long as it isn't the sole type of show out there, I see nothing wrong with a little diversity on the field. 

as I was saying about the nerds, ho, ho. Now go study.:worthy:

1 hour ago, Lithium Nitro said:

I feel like there's a lack of a memorable ocean show, it's a really basic concept like a space show and I'm not talking about Boston 2018 like a straight up Ocean Show.  It could start really graceful and calm using Ocean Bloom by Radiohead and Hans Zimmer.  As the show progresses there could be a storm section with a buildup and lightning and thunder and those lightning bolt rifles Vanguard used in 2016. As the ballad begins, it's like the calm after the storm.  The closer could be a really triumphant and proud ending, displaying the beauty and mystery of the ocean in its full power.  The props could be coral laid out across the field in a random pattern.  During the storm section, hinges could be released, breaking the coral and through the ballad and closer it's slowly rebuilt. Mvt 1: Oceans, Mvt 2: Storm, Mvt 3: Calm, Mvt 4: Deep Blue Sea

An alternative to the storm concept is instead starting at the shallows and going deeper and deeper, getting darker and more mysterious.

Mvt 1: The Shallows - A calmer movement to start off the show, could again feature Ocean Bloom

Mvt 2: The Abyss - Darker, more intense sound as you get deeper and light fades 

Mvt 3: The Floor - Out of the darkness you see a light, and another, and another. Small creatures surviving at the bottom of the ocean, their light's all you can see in the infinite abyss.  This would be a very beautiful ballad. Although it has nothing to do with the ocean, Chevaliers de Sangreal by Hans Zimmer would sound really good.

Mvt 4: The Ocean - Again, a triumphant, loud, impactful, exciting movement. The beauty of the Oceans and its infinite mysteries on a field.

Well I put more effort into this than I thought, I need a life.

And people thought tarps are dangerous.  You want coral?  Or did you mean a chorale?  

7 hours ago, Lithium Nitro said:

I feel like there's a lack of a memorable ocean show, it's a really basic concept like a space show and I'm not talking about Boston 2018 like a straight up Ocean Show.  It could start really graceful and calm using Ocean Bloom by Radiohead and Hans Zimmer.  As the show progresses there could be a storm section with a buildup and lightning and thunder and those lightning bolt rifles Vanguard used in 2016. As the ballad begins, it's like the calm after the storm.  The closer could be a really triumphant and proud ending, displaying the beauty and mystery of the ocean in its full power.  The props could be coral laid out across the field in a random pattern.  During the storm section, hinges could be released, breaking the coral and through the ballad and closer it's slowly rebuilt. Mvt 1: Oceans, Mvt 2: Storm, Mvt 3: Calm, Mvt 4: Deep Blue Sea

An alternative to the storm concept is instead starting at the shallows and going deeper and deeper, getting darker and more mysterious.

Mvt 1: The Shallows - A calmer movement to start off the show, could again feature Ocean Bloom

Mvt 2: The Abyss - Darker, more intense sound as you get deeper and light fades 

Mvt 3: The Floor - Out of the darkness you see a light, and another, and another. Small creatures surviving at the bottom of the ocean, their light's all you can see in the infinite abyss.  This would be a very beautiful ballad. Although it has nothing to do with the ocean, Chevaliers de Sangreal by Hans Zimmer would sound really good.

Mvt 4: The Ocean - Again, a triumphant, loud, impactful, exciting movement. The beauty of the Oceans and its infinite mysteries on a field.

Well I put more effort into this than I thought, I need a life.

Totally agree. Have you seen Western Carolina University's marching band do La Mer?  If not, it's worth a look:

Edited by Huntington Mallets

The Muppets

• Like 1

On 8/19/2018 at 8:00 PM, swmstom said:

My hope is Scouts do a show with just a theme instead of trying to tell a story. They haven't been very good or entertaining stoytellers of late. 

Would a Mardi Gras theme work?  Plenty of Brass, front ensemble doing clarinet work, it could even be titled MADI Gras!

20 minutes ago, Alicepoodle said:

Would a Mardi Gras theme work?  Plenty of Brass, front ensemble doing clarinet work, it could even be titled MADI Gras!

But how many sets of beads would the guard need to throw out to the judges and audience, and what would the criteria be? 

Would certain NOLA protocols need to be changed?  Wouldn't want Tony DiCarlo having a coronary, would we?  That wouldn't help the GE.

Has Louisiana Stars done this show yet?

3 hours ago, tesmusic said:

The Muppets

how appropriate.

Miss Piggy could play the color guard diva, the Grouch could be that one judge who nosebombs that one caption to kill the whole show, the two old guys in the booth Statler and Waldorf could play...well the two old guys in the judging box on GE, Kermit would have to be the horn soloist or singer, Fozzie Bear would be that Bass Five character we all love, Beauregard would be that prop kid moving everything from yardline to yardline; well you get the picture.  Of course, the Swedish Chef and the Food Truck crew wouldn't be so happy with what Cookie Monster would do to that post-show snack while every one else is storing uniforms and instruments in their rightful places. But how nice otherwise for a DCI performance that would leave everyone smiling, happy, and kind to their neighbor, even Mr. Rogers who would still be wearing cardigan sweaters in summers like drum corps kids wearing their corps' bowling jackets in Texas heat and Swamp tour humidity. How appropriate.:bigsmile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1