2019 Show Ideas

On 8/28/2018 at 12:51 PM, tesmusic said:

The Muppets

Oh I have a whole The Muppet Show theme in mind with VK style antics throughout.

Open with the Muppet Theme song.  

You'll have Animal featured on a set in the pit trading off ever increasingly crazy licks with the battery for a drum feature. He struggles to keep up with them until doing the 'incredulous panting' thing.  Then he suddenly goes ANIMAL!  And runs the battery down with a set jam that is beyond crazy. Then, he steps from the set and disappears.

Ballad will be Rainbow Connection with special guest, Debbie Harry!  Set it up with a short dialogue like it was on the show.  Have it be a brass, female vocal duet that blends into the full brass with swells of dynamics but never fully unleashing the melody.

Move into a closer of the Muppets Bohemian Rhapsody 

Then let that evolve into a reprise of the Rainbow Connection and Animal's triumphant return to the set ala this bit: 

And bring the house down finally bringing Rainbow Connection to it's climax to end.

Waldorf and Statler chime in with jibes about the uniforms, body movement, etc.  Use direct quotes from "Dino complaints" and have them wearing DCP shirts for fun.  

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 3

Ok, I am a complete rookie here. But I am a DCI nut so here goes. Not too much thought, but a concept and some potential music for an arranger to put into something stellar.

Concept is aerial warfare, WW2 style, Battle Of Britain or Dunkirk-esque

Music From

Symp No 2 Flight symphony Barber

Dunkirk Supermarine Hans Zimmer

First Flight Darryl Odonovan

Theme from 633 Squadron Ron Goodwin

Battle Of Britain Suite William Walton

Thanks for indulging me...

Edited by DCI-DadJokes
missing half of post

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:02 AM, Ghost said:

Same response as the previous four years.  A new addition would be the Trooper's doing Dances With Wolves.

Being a Trooper fan, I most heartily approve.  I might further suggest merging this with the music from the film "Cheyenne Autumn."

On 8/28/2018 at 2:51 PM, Alicepoodle said:

Would a Mardi Gras theme work?  Plenty of Brass, front ensemble doing clarinet work, it could even be titled MADI Gras!

I remember Magic of Orlando doing a Mardi Gras ish show in the mid 90s. Opened with Little Liza Jane. Was a great show.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, swmstom said:

I remember Magic of Orlando doing a Mardi Gras ish show in the mid 90s. Opened with Little Liza Jane. Was a great show.

That corps had an incredible hornline just listen to the opening statement 

• Thanks 1

On 8/28/2018 at 12:51 PM, tesmusic said:

The Muppets

I'm kind of torn on who for my iteration of the Muppets show.

Part of me would want to see it done at the highest level of the activity so we could see it again and again.  Another part of me sort of wants to see it in Open Class where the pressure to 'add demand' isn't as high and designers can go for broke with really innovative stuff.

That said, 

Academy is on the short list if only because they do have a good track record of making ideas that make your eyes roll at how trite it might be turn out pretty darn good (i.e. the Mary Poppins show)

I could see Cavaliers pull this off too.  They've done some complex and sometimes straightforward comedic moments in their shows.  I do think doing the Muppets would mean giving up the forward momentum in standings though.

The Colts.  They've done some great unusual stuff in the recent past.  Dark Side of the Rainbow, ..And a shot rang out, etc.  

Oregon Crusaders.  REDRUM was so great. And they did Secret Garden so well too.  Their team can take an idea almost anywhere it seems even with the sometimes 'slow start' because of their 'later that some others' start to camp and such.

Jersey Surf - ok yeah it'd be another "one off" show for them in doing something off the wall, but hey, some of their most loved shows have been that.

Guardians.  Although this is far from the hip-hop vibe they've done recently, they're certainly not afraid to come out of the gate with something completely different and do it up.

Legends - it'd be a bit out of character and perhaps sacrificing some of the forward momentum they've been building as they work to make the jump to world class, but they could definitely make it work.

Edited by KVG_DC