Stealing other corps stuff...

Being serious for a moment. I've had a nagging question since I first saw the hammer-holder in the BD outfit.

We know Cadets mms hold the traditional M&G West Point styled uniform in solemn awe as witnessed most recently at the end of their '18 show. We listened to Madison Scouts posters debate whether what was worn by that corps the last several seasons match the honor of the Madison uniform members call "the Superman suits."  We heard Regiment phans yearn for the helmets, saw the Cavaliers return to roots at Finals Retreat in their green sleeves, questioned whether V8 age-outs would get their feathers, and most of us enjoyed The Troopers starting their show in a modern adaption of old Casper style wear for an equally haunting drill.

Now the Blue Devils handbook is quite explicit about the decorum and respect one should have when wearing Blue Devil threads. Going beyond the escapade at hand, my question is this:

Does the current style of DCI show witnessing new clothing and often mid-show changing of clothing for the corps and guard set a horizon where respect for a corps' uniform is diminished so that it merely becomes the fabric we wear for song one, that other fabric we wear for corps two, etc. and not a public statement of the inner character of the corps to be cherished and inspired by/reminded by, not just portraying the character(s) the corps is portraying this season? Are the mms challenged deeply by the costumes that they now wear?

Follow-up question:  Would the reactions many have had on this thread been the same if the "culprit" not been wearing his corps' uniform in his self-congratulatory photo?

Just wondering?  What do you think?

12 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

No rationalizations, no saying "this isn't who I am" or blaming it on someone or something else.  

Read it again.

4 minutes ago, Huntington Mallets said:

Read it again.

If you are calling me out because he said this isn't what he stands for, then point taken. Perhaps i am in the minority because i differentiate between an adult who says "this isn't who i am' with no explanation or ownership for what they did versus a young adult who says "this isn't what i stand for" and then admits to being selfish and letting his values take a backseat.

3 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

If you are calling me out because he said this isn't what he stands for, then point taken. Perhaps i am in the minority because i differentiate between an adult who says "this isn't who i am' with no explanation or ownership for what they did versus a young adult who says "this isn't what i stand for" and then admits to being selfish and letting his values take a backseat.

that was the key phrase for me whether he heard it from others or not, he seems to own it in his own contrition.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I'm guilty for having similar thoughts.

No guilt.  This is a kid, or young adult.  We do not grow up KNOWING how to apologize. We are taught these things, if we have good role models.  I remember teaching my kids how to apologize.  Identify what you did that was wrong.  Identify how you believe that wrong may have impacted the person or persons who were involved.  Say you are sorry, sincerely, and offer to make amends.  And then I explained that the amends are at the discretion of the person(s) who were harmed.  I see all of that in this apology.

• Like 2

I know that my oldest son was a wrestler in Alabama and it was common for teams to "borrow " a chair from a rival school. The nice chairs with the school logos on them. So in high school and college, this is common. Not condoning,  just putting in my info. 

Would I a bad person for taking the occasional branded pint glass from a bar?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sideways said:

Would I a bad person for taking the occasional branded pint glass from a bar?

yes, it would be a mortal sin since, as you are a wine snob according to your listed credentials, someone else probably paid for the contents. Confer TimK for chapter and verse, :whip:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

IMO, that is a more-than-appropriate response, from both BD and the young man involved.

Look... when I was at or around this guy's age, I was involved in my share of knucklehead stunts. Not proud of any of that, but stuff happened. After all... teenagers and early 20-somethings know everything, right? :laughing:

If I could go back in time and not do that stuff, I certainly would jump at that chance.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, xandandl said:

yes, it would be a mortal sin since, as you are a wine snob according to your listed credentials, someone else probably paid for the contents. Confer TimK for chapter and verse, :whip:

It was Guinness in an official Guinness pint glass at one of the DCA shows in Minneapolis in 2006 or 2007.  The bar was closing and I still had a full pint...would have been criminal to leave the Guinness behind.  :guinesssmilie:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1