Stealing other corps stuff...

39 minutes ago, Sideways said:

It was Guinness in an official Guinness pint glass at one of the DCA shows in Minneapolis in 2006 or 2007.  The bar was closing and I still had a full pint...would have been criminal to leave the Guinness behind.  :guinesssmilie:

That's the 11th Commandment.

"Thou shalt never leave a Guinness on the table."  :tongue:

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, xandandl said:

Does the current style of DCI show witnessing new clothing and often mid-show changing of clothing for the corps and guard set a horizon where respect for a corps' uniform is diminished so that it merely becomes the fabric we wear for song one, that other fabric we wear for corps two, etc. and not a public statement of the inner character of the corps to be cherished and inspired by/reminded by, not just portraying the character(s) the corps is portraying this season? Are the mms challenged deeply by the costumes that they now wear?

Follow-up question:  Would the reactions many have had on this thread been the same if the "culprit" not been wearing his corps' uniform in his self-congratulatory photo?

Just wondering?  What do you think?

1) I do not believe respect for one's uniform/costume is diminished by current sartorial trends, but I do think clarity about the matter is a bit diluted because of the number and variation of outfits.

2) Not heard anything from current MMs about being challenged deeply by the outfits.  Though better to ask them instead of us dinosaurs.  

3) It would have been an entirely different conversation had he not been wearing something identifying him as a member of the Blue Devils.  It's what made the risk of the stunt rewarding, but also was a risk due to it being seen by a much wider and unintended audience.  Stunts like this were rampant, but there was great care to avoid identifying one's corps affiliation.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, xandandl said:

Going beyond the escapade at hand, my question is this:

Does the current style of DCI show witnessing new clothing and often mid-show changing of clothing for the corps and guard set a horizon where respect for a corps' uniform is diminished so that it merely becomes the fabric we wear for song one, that other fabric we wear for corps two, etc. and not a public statement of the inner character of the corps to be cherished and inspired by/reminded by, not just portraying the character(s) the corps is portraying this season? 

This curious word you use - "uniform".  I will have to ask my grandparents what it means.

Seriously, when a corps uses 100 non-uniform variations on the musician outfit like BD, Bluecoats, Blue Knights, etc., it becomes hopelessly difficult to verify whether any random photo is a real corps "uniform".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sideways said:

It was Guinness in an official Guinness pint glass at one of the DCA shows in Minneapolis in 2006 or 2007.  The bar was closing and I still had a full pint...would have been criminal to leave the Guinness behind.  :guinesssmilie:

Real Irish drink Harp or Killians, I am told.  Guinness is for the Orangemen. Double penance.

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Real Irish drink Harp or Killians, I am told.  Guinness is for the Orangemen. Double penance.

Lol quote from a member of the Yankee Rebels (colors orange and white) after Baltimore St Patrick’s day parade in mid 70s. “It takes ##### to wear orange at a St Patrick’s Day parade”

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Well I'm Polish and French/French (Canadian) depending on how far you go back.  Still prefer Guinness Extra Stout to Harp or Killians any day of the week.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, xandandl said:

Harp is manufactured by Guinness. I've enjoyed a pint of Guinness once or twice and last time I checked, I am not descended from the Orangemen though my brother did a DNA test through Ancestry.com and discovered we have 5% British blood, Great Aunt Ann must be rolling in her grave. However I know a close friend from Ireland can't get enough of Killian's Red and aa friend's cousin who owns a pub in Tuam, Country Galway, told me he keeps plenty of Guinness stout on hand for tourist season which probably means an invasion by the Yanks.

5 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Harp is manufactured by Guinness.

Something I learned at finals, kind of related. This is the second year meeting great dci fans and our friends from Germany they stay at same hotel. Our dci beer of choice forever has been Saint Pauli Girl  brewed in Germany under some purity act that goes back to the 1500's. The taste is great and there is absolutely no hang over. They never heard of Saint Pauli Girl, seen it sold anywhere in Germany. Quite odd that they only ship it abroad.

44 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

The taste is great and there is absolutely no hang over. They never heard of Saint Pauli Girl, seen it sold anywhere in Germany. Quite odd that they only ship it abroad.

Most Germans want a nice buzz from their beers.  Visiting Munich in late Sept. to early Oct. is a must for beer lovers.  October fest is quite the experience.