Pioneer Suspended by DCI

28 minutes ago, RADIO3 said:

I'm not going to wave my pitchfork on this or anything I know nothing about.

What I will say is I think dc has a ticking time bomb on skin cancer... both medicallt and legally.

Corps membership now seems to be partly about getting a tan. Eight hours a day... for weeks and weeks... with members wearing very minimal clothing.

I raised this in my corps... they just scoffed and said the kids need to take responsibility... put on sun cream etc.

We all know kids won't do that when a tan is at stake... not forgetting studies which show anything less than huge application is safe. And anyway... who would spend 8 hours a day for 2 months getting a tan.

Corps could insist on t shirts etc.

I think we will start seeing medical cases sadly and... as a secondary issue... lawsuits.

I had a nose replacement including a forehead flap procedure due to skin cancer growing up on L.I. beaches and almost 50 years of drum corps fields/parking lot. Skin cancer is not a joke. 

Thank God for the dermatology team and plastic surgeons at the nearby Medical School where I'm a living cadaver for the new doctors-in-training.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Yeah, after reading that statement, I think Roman should resign before things only get worse for Pio. It's become all too clear that this organization has not lived up to the promises that he outlined.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I had a nose replacement including a forehead flap procedure due to skin cancer growing up on L.I. beaches and almost 50 years of drum corps fields/parking lot. Skin cancer is not a joke. 

Thank God for the dermatology team and plastic surgeons at the nearby Medical School where I'm a living cadaver for the new doctors-in-training.

WOW, you are a lucky man

23 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

WEAK AF. Not impressed.

Some boxes were checked, I suppose, but DCI has just put the corps, very publicly, on suspension. The time for “oh, we’re family, staff too” and other fluff has long passed. 

Your corps gets put on suspension and the whole marching community knows about it and is watching you; the only appropriate response is “we are swiftly taking every step possible to overhaul our policies and ensure issues like these never arise again” with a concise apology to all who were harmed. This weak, half-hearted ***** will not do. I’ve been silent on this issue trying to remain unbiased until the facts pan out, but the governing body has put your corps on suspension. The time for subtle hem-&-hawing has passed. I can’t imagine Roman and therefore (but hopefully not) the corps surviving this if he approaches this ridiculously serious situation with that attitude moving forward.

Edited by MikeD
Filter circumvention
  • Like 5

41 minutes ago, RADIO3 said:

I'm not going to wave my pitchfork on this or anything I know nothing about.

What I will say is I think dc has a ticking time bomb on skin cancer... both medicallt and legally.

Corps membership now seems to be partly about getting a tan. Eight hours a day... for weeks and weeks... with members wearing very minimal clothing.

I raised this in my corps... they just scoffed and said the kids need to take responsibility... put on sun cream etc.

We all know kids won't do that when a tan is at stake... not forgetting studies which show anything less than huge application is safe. And anyway... who would spend 8 hours a day for 2 months getting a tan.

Corps could insist on t shirts etc.

I think we will start seeing medical cases sadly and... as a secondary issue... lawsuits.

I am not minimizing skin cancer. As a matter fact I have a spot that will soon be biopsied that looks like two previous spots that are skin cancer. Thank you Mother Ireland for my very Irish complexion.  xandandl’s experiences he shared attest to the seriousness of skin cancer. As a medical issue, this is something DCI corps should take seriously. Regarding liability, unless a corps bans sunscreen and says you must practice shirtless or only wear a sports bra, the person would have to prove he/she had no sun exposure until drum corps. That means never going to the beach, never wearing shorts or short sleeves, etc. 

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Unbelievable. Shorter Pioneer response:

"We treat the kids like crap because we're one of the few corps that "teach" and unlike everyone else, we're "family."

Nice.

Do they really teach though? Like do they actually teach the fundamentals of how to play the horn or do they just teach kids how to play the notes in the show. There is a big difference there.

Just curious.

Edited by gbass598
  • Like 1

The placement of the social media connections atop the Pioneer announcement make me cringe.

An F for Facebook, followed by You (tube).

Egads. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1