Pioneer Suspended by DCI

Roman's been around a long  time, and I don't think he got into the DCI Hall of Fame for nothing.

But, based on what we know so far... he has to go.  Pioneer has to start over, top to bottom, if it is to survive and, perhaps someday, thrive.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tony Flores said:

Umm... That's not a great response. 

Works for me.

The key part of it is the last line.  The very last line, where it signs off as "Roman Blenski".

Rule 2 of any ethical or PR crisis is to get rid of the person who broke Rule 1, then have their replacement make things right.  That scenario just became more likely.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tim K said:

I also don’t think Pioneer would have the resource of an alumni base that could do for Pioneer what Cadets alumni did for the corps. 

No, but the corps has been operating for over 50 years.  There are certainly a decent number of former marchers and staff (maybe more so than the average 50-year-old corps, considering turnover rate).  If we are to believe the rumor mill, there are enough such people in the pro-Pioneer-anti-Roman camp to step up and save the corps three times over.

34 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I am not seeing that error anywhere in the response.  What am I missing?

It was in the YEA response letter when that all broke in April

11 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

No, but the corps has been operating for over 50 years.  There are certainly a decent number of former marchers and staff (maybe more so than the average 50-year-old corps, considering turnover rate).  If we are to believe the rumor mill, there are enough such people in the pro-Pioneer-anti-Roman camp to step up and save the corps three times over.

I was looking for a post on Reddit yesterday, something I do not do regularly, and with Pioneer I got a sense of yes this happened, no it didn’t, which to me says be cared of what you trust in the rumor mill. This is common for an organization in trouble. 

When it comes to saving Pioneer, “Pro-Pioneer anti-Roman” would not be the solution. The former director of the Cadets had his supporters, and those who were less than fans. His supporters were disgusted at the allegations as were his detractors, and there is no question many who donated and many of those who stepped forward were alienated by the former director,  but in talking with folks this summer, Cadets was saved by being pro Cadets and putting differences aside. If folks want to save Pioneer, the need to be pro-Pioneer and put differences aside. 

What I meant by "pro-Pioneer-anti-Roman" was people who have served Pioneer in the past, and would gladly serve again except for one or more particular policy issues imposed by Mr. Blenski that they have concluded will not change until he is no longer in charge.  As I understand it, over time there have been several corps directors, noted designers, and numerous instructional staff in various captions who (subject to availability) fall in this category.

I agree with TimK's posting above.

According to this DCI made the decision to suspend Pioneer four days after finals weekend but we are only hearing about it now as the media inquires. Source: yesterday's statement by DCI.

Since the end of the 2018 DCI season, DCI has received credible reports of new issues through its own reporting means as well as accusations on social media including possible retaliation against those who report issues of concern, leading to the August 16, 2018, decision to suspend Pioneer from all DCI activities.