Pioneer Suspended by DCI

11 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Yeah, after reading that statement, I think Roman should resign before things only get worse for Pio. It's become all too clear that this organization has not lived up to the promises that he outlined.

Yes.  The response is even worse than the original YEA response

• Like 1

4 hours ago, corps8294 said:

If folks involved with that corps want to salvage what little hope is left; drop the Pioneer name, get the Blenski family out of the corps, drop the Irish shtick, and come back as the Thing.

Rather than the Thing, how about "The Corps Formerly Known as Pioneer"

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, RADIO3 said:

I'm not going to wave my pitchfork on this or anything I know nothing about.

What I will say is I think dc has a ticking time bomb on skin cancer... both medicallt and legally.

Corps membership now seems to be partly about getting a tan. Eight hours a day... for weeks and weeks... with members wearing very minimal clothing.

I raised this in my corps... they just scoffed and said the kids need to take responsibility... put on sun cream etc.

We all know kids won't do that when a tan is at stake... not forgetting studies which show anything less than huge application is safe. And anyway... who would spend 8 hours a day for 2 months getting a tan.

Corps could insist on t shirts etc.

I think we will start seeing medical cases sadly and... as a secondary issue... lawsuits.

I suggested this a couple years ago and was scoffed at. Excuse upon excuse about how it would be too hard and infringe upon their rights. As though that doesn't occur a thousand times over in a drum corps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What exactly does a suspension mean? Does it mean they are not able to tour in 2019? Does it mean they will if they are investigated and cleared?

30 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I suggested this a couple years ago and was scoffed at. Excuse upon excuse about how it would be too hard and infringe upon their rights. As though that doesn't occur a thousand times over in a drum corps

In general, this is the biggest hurdle that the activity faces.

4 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

What exactly does a suspension mean? Does it mean they are not able to tour in 2019? Does it mean they will if they are investigated and cleared?

if investiated and cleared, they're good to go. if not....well.....

15 hours ago, wolfgang said:

Latest update by DCI

https://www.dci.org/news/update-to-the-dci-community

Additional details on Pioneer Drum and Bugle Corps suspension

[...]

Upon receiving the initial statements via DCI’s reporting mechanisms, both executive and board leadership presented Pioneer leadership with the information for examination and corrective action. Subsequent reports and new allegations that Pioneer leadership discouraged corps members and staff from reporting questionable incidents and circumstances prompted additional meetings with Pioneer leadership along with separate sessions with instructional staff members.

So Roman Blenski went the "snitches get stitches" route.

We seem to be in the midst of a larger cultural debate about whether or not it's appropriate to "rat" on wrongdoing.

Glad DCI is taking whistleblowing seriously.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, queenanne_1536 said:

The term Suspension implies that it is temporary. I suspect the next results could be "Cleared", "Probation" or "Banned." It's a new process so I guess we will all have to learn together.

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 2