Pioneer Suspended by DCI

I completely agree that Pioneer should be suspended. However, I do wonder how dci would react to corps with similar issues that are more important to their bottom line. If a top 6 group had member complaints like this I do not think dci would take the same action. It's really easy to suspend a corps that is bottom of the pack, not as easy when it's cadets, Cavaliers, phantom, etc. They would get probation.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

15 hours ago, WIS said:

Property is owned by:

PIONEER DRUM & BUGLE CORPS &
COLOR GUARD, INC.
4601 W HOLT AVE
MILWAUKEE WI 53220

http://propertytax.ci.cudahy.wi.us/GCSWebPortal/PropertySummaryReport.aspx

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it, but pretty sure that address is Roman's home address. That's a residential neighborhood, it's definitely not a commercial building.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, xxxdcifanxxx said:

If a top 6 group had member complaints like this I do not think dci would take the same action. 

You'd be very wrong. If any of the top corps had dealt with their members like Pio is alleged to have done, it would have been a much bigger deal and DCI, this year especially, would have been quick to step in.

Pio got by as long as they did because they're so low profile that no one else was paying attention. They're paying attention now, that's for sure.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, queenanne_1536 said:

What exactly does a suspension mean? Does it mean they are not able to tour in 2019? Does it mean they will if they are investigated and cleared?

The 2019 tour is decided at Fall Meetings.   Pioneer can't participate in those meetings so I don;t see how they can make any plans (hire staff and recruit members, etc) for 2019. If they don't have any show dates who is going to work for them or attend any camps?   Would you pay camp fees?  Would you donate or volunteer for this organization?

All Pioneer can do now is an orderly liquidation of all assets.   Roman awards himself, his wife and son severance packages that gives a majority of the sale proceeds to them. Roman is a DCI Hall of Fame Member so he gets free tickets to all shows for life.    Retiring to a cabin  in Northern Wisconsin is better than trying to run a drum corps and drive  bus during the 2019 tour.

Edited by dcifanforlife
Spelling

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

So Roman Blenski went the "snitches get stitches" route.

We seem to be in the midst of a larger cultural debate about whether or not it's appropriate to "rat" on wrongdoing.

Glad DCI is taking whistleblowing seriously.

"Johnny, DON'T TOUCH THAT STOVE!"

Aaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnddddddd..... you do.

LOL

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, xxxdcifanxxx said:

I completely agree that Pioneer should be suspended. However, I do wonder how dci would react to corps with similar issues that are more important to their bottom line. If a top 6 group had member complaints like this I do not think dci would take the same action. It's really easy to suspend a corps that is bottom of the pack, not as easy when it's cadets, Cavaliers, phantom, etc. They would get probation.

That's some big words, there.

Baseless, IMO, but big anyway.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

I agree with your second sentence, unfortunately. The implication that Roman owns everything is hard to fathom. 

Roman controls things - he does not own them, unless he leases assets to the corps.  The true owner is the Wisconsin State Attorney General, who stays hands-off unless there is a complaint filed and their investigation resulted in a removal of the current board and directors or seizing the assets for protection.  I think complaints have to be for financial mismanagement of a non-profit organization funds (Pioneer is a public charity).

If the corps closed today all assets would be required to be given to another 501(C)(3) or sold with the proceeds going to another 501(c)(3) after paying any underlying debt.  Roman can't take anything unless he buys it or if the corps owes him money.

Say Roman decided to buy all equipment from Pioneer (which he would have to pay full fair market value) and start a whole new corps under a new federal identification number.  He can do that with everything except the land/buildings.  The self-dealing rules of the IRS prohibit any officer or director of the non-profit purchasing real estate from the entity, even at fair market value.  He would have to remove himself from any direct contact and/or involvement for five years before he could offer to purchase the property at fair market value.  If he decided to rent the land from the current Pioneer corporation he would have to pay full fair market value rent - no bargain rent would be permitted. 

Edited by WIS
  • Thanks 1