Pioneer Suspended by DCI

I still can't get over that statement. The whole thing is bad, but that entire 3rd graph especially ruins it. I'm convinced no one who has ever done PR for a living - nay, even PR as a hobby - ever set eyes on these words before they were sent out. It's not a Rah Rah Cheer, it's an Apology Statement to the media/interested parties.

Does anyone think Roman would sell the name/assets/etc? Does anyone want to go halves on a slightly-used but nearly-good-as-new drum corps from Milwaukee? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, xxxdcifanxxx said:

I completely agree that Pioneer should be suspended. However, I do wonder how dci would react to corps with similar issues that are more important to their bottom line. If a top 6 group had member complaints like this I do not think dci would take the same action. It's really easy to suspend a corps that is bottom of the pack, not as easy when it's cadets, Cavaliers, phantom, etc. They would get probation.

allow me to be very blunt:

horse ####. 

given everything since April, any corps with this level of complaints would be in the exact same boat. And in fact, a corps in the top 6 wouldnt have these issues one would think, or they wouldnt be attracting the talent keeping them in the top 6. word of mouth from kids spreads, and with how younger generations use tons of social media sites, it would have gotten out there and around.

Cadets got what they got because it was new ground, and the organization took many right steps after ousting Hop and the old board in very short order. Had the old board tried to cling to power, there quite likely would not have been a 2018 Cadets on the field.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Legoman said:

Oh, I'm sure that's just the address used for mailing, contact, business, etc. And it was probably a simple, "we have to have an address, we'll just put mine down." But it comes across as pretty weird (to me, at least) that there is no neutral office space. It's probably pretty common though.

You'd be surprised how many businesses are really just one corner of someone's dining room table.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ouooga said:

I still can't get over that statement. The whole thing is bad, but that entire 3rd graph especially ruins it. I'm convinced no one who has ever done PR for a living - nay, even PR as a hobby - ever set eyes on these words before they were sent out. It's not a Rah Rah Cheer, it's an Apology Statement to the media/interested parties.

we said that after the old YEA Board response too. 

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

we said that after the old YEA Board response too. 

If any corps read this, to any corps that is planning to put out any kind of public statement, crisis communication especially, I'd like to formally offer my writing and editing services at no charge. I'm completely serious about this, and am happy to provide credentials.

1 hour ago, WIS said:

Roman controls things - he does not own them, unless he leases assets to the corps.  The true owner is the Wisconsin State Attorney General, who stays hands-off unless there is a complaint filed and their investigation resulted in a removal of the current board and directors or seizing the assets for protection.  I think complaints have to be for financial mismanagement of a non-profit organization funds (Pioneer is a public charity).

If the corps closed today all assets would be required to be given to another 501(C)(3) or sold with the proceeds going to another 501(c)(3) after paying any underlying debt.  Roman can't take anything unless he buys it or if the corps owes him money.

Say Roman decided to buy all equipment from Pioneer (which he would have to pay full fair market value) and start a whole new corps under a new federal identification number.  He can do that with everything except the land/buildings.  The self-dealing rules of the IRS prohibit any officer or director of the non-profit purchasing real estate from the entity, even at fair market value.  He would have to remove himself from any direct contact and/or involvement for five years before he could offer to purchase the property at fair market value.  If he decided to rent the land from the current Pioneer corporation he would have to pay full fair market value rent - no bargain rent would be permitted. 

I would think the land adjacent to Milwaukee Airport would have considerable commercial value