Pioneer Suspended by DCI

3 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

I agree but lets be honest....nobody was talking Pioneer until this story came up.

That’s not entirely true, though the conversations have not been about their competitiveness.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tim K said:

That’s not entirely true, though the conversations have not been about their competitiveness.

I must confess...this was one of those corps that I really didn't have any interest in. They always came on first in most shows and got polite applause. My questions were always why are they in World Class. I really feel bad for what happened to members as that should never happen especially because they pay to perform....not get paid.

33 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

What's next? How do they ensure dci that the safety issues are resolved? The steps The Cadets took to put their issue behind them although different in stature (no hungry kids} are a good precedent. Are their even other qualified individuals that would jump in to save Pioneer or would it be easier for them to just to start a new corps w/o all the baggage?

I really don't know " whats next ", Bluzes.. DCI and Pioneer I would imagine will have additional press releases regarding this that'll give us more info, and what needs to" happen next " btw Pioneer and DCI.  Suffice to say, Pioneer is probably in a very precarious position as to whether or not they have the people there and the resources to repair this satisfactorily or not.   Roman Blenski probably won't remain at the helm there much longer. But thats no more than a guess from a distance here by me.. no more.' Hope Pioneer can emerge from this . Nobody ( or few anyway ) want to see ANY Drum Corps fold. There are so few Drum Corps left now as it is.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Someone should tell RB that misleading investigative journalists only makes them more curious.

it should, but often it doesn't. There's been a fair bit of national news (on other subjects) over the past few years in which it seems plain to me that incurious journalists are being led around by the nose. It depends on people's preconceptions. The problems at Pioneer surely are not new, but until people started taking seriously the idea that there could be abuse and malign neglect in drum corps, such information was falling on deaf ears.

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

At this time of the year, suspension makes more sense than probation. Suspension for Pioneer means an investigation will be completed, there will be definitive actions that must be undertaken, financial stability will be in place, and most importantly, member safety will be ensured.  

This will no doubt be welcome news to those who voiced concerns, and will be difficult for those who love the corps, which could be the same people. Pioneer most likely  had the best of intentions but good intentions are never enough, especially where safety is involved. It’s also not uncommon for people who want the best to react the way Pioneer seemed to react when everything spins out of control.

It will be interesting to see how Pioneer emerges from all of this, if it is able to emerge. If the corps survives and works to remain a DCI corps, that would be reassuring because it will have to take the situation seriously. If they decide to go DCA, which some have suggested if that’s even possible, I think I’d be more concerned. It would signal that Pioneer does not take these concerns seriously.

No way in hell DCA let’s them in with this. As screwed up as DCA is, they aren’t that stupid. They kicked out the Renegades for excessive partying issues. Let in a corps dci booted due to performer safety issues? Death sentence for the circuit 

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Not trying to sound mean in anyway but will they be missed? We all know they were at or near the bottom in WC pretty much every year. Basically half of OC corps scored better. Especially reading some of what was going on. We are not talking about a highly known WC corp like The Cadets who are or were going through personnel matters. Just saying....

I'd miss them, just as I'd miss any of those lower-ranking O.C. corps going inactive. Particularly ones I've seen. I miss Revolution and Racine Scouts and Blue Saints and (possibly to return?) Les Stentors, all of whom I'd seen at O.C. championships in the past six years. I miss Coastal Surge, and I think they managed just one competitive season.

That said, if the problems at Pioneer can't be resolved to DCI's satisfaction, then it may indeed be better for drum corps if they shut down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, garfield said:

This is really interesting.  Originally, I thought there was the adjective "serious" in her question.  I wonder if he thinks suspension is not an "action".

Someone should tell RB that misleading investigative journalists only makes them more curious.

And conversely Roman MAY be telling the truth and DCI is just covering their own <bleep> as well...

Before anyone jumps down my throat I am NOT defending him, but just presenting an equally plausible explanation based on her tweet.  It almost seems like DCI wanted to get in front of the story this time...Just saying. Roman also could have flat out lied as well.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

I must confess...this was one of those corps that I really didn't have any interest in. They always came on first in most shows and got polite applause. My questions were always why are they in World Class. I really feel bad for what happened to members as that should never happen especially because they pay to perform....not get paid.

They're in World Class presumably because the financial arrangements for World Class suited them, and they're nearly 60 years old, and they have more than a couple decades competing in that division, sometimes with moderate success (scores in the high 70s and placement in the mid teens in the late 1990s). And as long as they met their obligations to DCI and the members, they could have gone right on offering a World Class experience for years to come.

11 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

No way in hell DCA let’s them in with this. As screwed up as DCA is, they aren’t that stupid. They kicked out the Renegades for excessive partying issues. Let in a corps dci booted due to performer safety issues? Death sentence for the circuit 

Agree. Everyone knew what Pioneer was doing and had become. Truthfully most around the activity knew they should have been moved out of World Class a long time ago and DCI didn’t do it largely because they knew it would be a death sentence.

This patient has been on life support for far too long already.

Is “misleading investigative journalists” saying the journalists are misleading or the journalists are being mislead. Think I know what Garfield means but it does go both ways