Pioneer Suspended by DCI

36 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

Not merely probation. Suspension! 

At this time of the year, suspension makes more sense than probation. Suspension for Pioneer means an investigation will be completed, there will be definitive actions that must be undertaken, financial stability will be in place, and most importantly, member safety will be ensured.  

This will no doubt be welcome news to those who voiced concerns, and will be difficult for those who love the corps, which could be the same people. Pioneer most likely  had the best of intentions but good intentions are never enough, especially where safety is involved. It’s also not uncommon for people who want the best to react the way Pioneer seemed to react when everything spins out of control.

It will be interesting to see how Pioneer emerges from all of this, if it is able to emerge. If the corps survives and works to remain a DCI corps, that would be reassuring because it will have to take the situation seriously. If they decide to go DCA, which some have suggested if that’s even possible, I think I’d be more concerned. It would signal that Pioneer does not take these concerns seriously.

6 minutes ago, Tim K said:

If they decide to go DCA

Not likely, their members mostly still in high school will be back in school come labor day, have their own HS Band commitments. Same issues as Minn Brass and Kilties have with DCA. In the east, most schools do not go back to after labor, not sure about Atlanta CV and Gold they may face these issues as well. Not hurting them right now, would like to see CV win it all this year but will certainly medal.

25 minutes ago, Tim K said:

. If they decide to go DCA, which some have suggested if that’s even possible, I think I’d be more concerned. It would signal that Pioneer does not take these concerns seriously.

I really wish people would stop presenting one choice as:

A: Fix the problems

OR

B: Go to DCA

While I'm sure DCA would love another Midwestern corps, I believe the process would be more like:

A: Fix the problems

THEN

B: Go to DCA so you could provide sufficient member care within your financial means.

• Thanks 7

1 hour ago, gabe211 said:

This is really interesting.  Originally, I thought there was the adjective "serious" in her question.  I wonder if he thinks suspension is not an "action".

Someone should tell RB that misleading investigative journalists only makes them more curious.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Not likely, their members mostly still in high school will be back in school come labor day, have their own HS Band commitments. Same issues as Minn Brass and Kilties have with DCA. In the east, most schools do not go back to after labor, not sure about Atlanta CV and Gold they may face these issues as well. Not hurting them right now, would like to see CV win it all this year but will certainly medal.

When the letter by the mother whose minor child was left at an emergency room unattended was posted, the corps was identified on DCP was Pioneer. I thought in the discussion it was mentioned that this young person was the only minor marching this past year.  I do not recall anyone offering numbers that either supported or disputed this claim. I did have the opportunity to see Pioneer warm up this year and they did not appear as young as Jersey Surf. This is based on perception only, but I don’t think Pioneer has had as many high school students in recent years, at least not as many as it did years ago. Also in DCA, Pioneer could recruit older members. 

People talk like any corps can join DCA if they want to. DCA has a review process (mainly financial IIRC) corps have to go thru before they are allowed to be in DCA. highly doubt DCA would want this image disaster to be representing them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I, for one, mentioned DCA as an option since the majority of Pioneer's problems seem to relate to an inability to manage all the needs of a full touring corps - bad or lacking food on the road; medical issues while on the road; bad buses on the road ... if they were to eliminate, or reduce, the "on the road" portion of their mission as much as possible, they might be able to eliminate many of their inherent problems.  

As far as finances, Pioneer's Form 990 for 2016 showed $381,126 in revenue, whereas Hawthorne Caballero's had $181,979, Fusion (2015) had $217,840, and Reading had $267,831.  Sure, Pioneer's numbers would go down moving from DCI to DCA, but it would likely be much more manageable for them than a DCI tour.  Whether or not they are too far West to feasibly make weekend trips to DCA shows is a different concern.  

• Like 2