Broke-down buses, Ibuprofen and a sex offender: on the road with Pioneer

I've taken much of what I read on the Pio threads with various grains of salt. Mostly, I have no insider info and can't comment intelligently. A little bit, there's a lot of speculating and modest gossiping that I don't know what to do with. But this Philly.com article...wow. The RB quotes are stunning. I donate to Pioneer, and I'm a little embarrassed I have done so without knowing more about how it was managed. 

He (Blenski) sounds ridiculous. The arrangement of the family running and being the board is ridiculous. The busses sound at best old and unreliable. Perhaps unsafe. Medical care for injured members is a serious offense here/concern.

Sounds like a reorganization and a removal of Blenski and renting professional buses/drivers plus medical oversight might be able to save the drum corps. New board of directors. This needs to start with Blenski and his ilk stepping down and the board resigning.

Not sure enough is left to pick up the pieces, this isn’t a Cadets size organization unfortunately 

they should be required to make the necessary changes, a short partial tour next season in Open Class on probation without any member of that family. That would be my initial take - if the corps continues 

more likely imo would be they refuse to step down and pioneer (what’s left of it) is pushed out of DCI and becomes a local parade type organization 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Liahona said:

I never met the man, but <G> he seems WAY out of touch with social norms...the Auschwitz comment is just so CRINGE-WORTHY on so many levels...

I hear that. Several "never go there" comments. Pathetic.

5 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

more likely imo would be they refuse to step down and pioneer (what’s left of it) is pushed out of DCI and becomes a local parade type organization 

I think you’re right.....

1 hour ago, wolfgang said:

I misread the timing of this, but her complaint about tiiming seems self serving.

The timing is true. And what this continues to show is DCI's ostrich imitation in dealing with ALL of these issues. Instead of being out front and proactive to address this (and several other) issues that the activity is (and will) face they have adopted a strategy to circling the wagons with cries that the media is "out to get them." This is a TERRIBLE strategy. What the media is out for is the truth. These reporters are doing our activity a service. Transparency is the best disinfectant. DCI (and a few member corps) do not understand this. DCI (and a couple Corps) should take out the trash and dump all the facts on the table. Take their lumps. Make changes. Move on. Of course, how would they ever think of such an approach? Because this is EXACTLY the approach YEA/Cadets chose. DCI can't even learn from something successful right in front of them. Unless they change course I am fearful for the entire activity itself. Oh... and Dan A should resign. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

He doesn’t sound like a person who is going to step down without a fight to me. He seems very combative and hostile to those who would question his authority.  That seems to be a trend in people who are in powerful positions for far too long. 

What a godawful mess this activity is in.  And I don’t think we’ve heard it all yet. 

He needs to resign or forced out by DCI! They will fold next year if nothing happens to Roman.

25 minutes ago, fireshane1 said:

I think you’re right.....

I know. I think I'm right too - wish I wasn't. But based on my (brief) history of interacting with that group I do not see Blenski taking the high road to do what's best for the "greater good"

They use the NPO to support the family - it will continue outside of the DCI realm IMO. 

• Like 1