Broke-down buses, Ibuprofen and a sex offender: on the road with Pioneer

17 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m confused.  DCI has been investigating Pioneer for over a year and Tricia found out all of these violations in a few weeks?  

I don’t think you’re confused at all... :unsure:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, corps8294 said:

Time to pull the plug on Pioneer. It's been existing on life support for too long and the time has come to let it go.

Talked to an old friend yesterday who marched Pioneer back in the mid 90s. Asked her if she had seen the news of the suspension. She had not. Her response to it was (more or less): "No I hadn't seen it. It doesn't surprise me, because it was the same way back in the 90s. I guess I was too young and dumb to notice it or report it. But I was one-and-done, and chose to stop following DCI after that season, and this exact situation was the reason why."

Not surprised in the least.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, garfield said:

I know I'm picking nits in a sensitive thread, and will be accused of being grammar police, but shouldn't it be "Broken-down Buses..."?

Of course, you are correct.  However, it is common usage, especially here in the south.

Broke-down, Tore-up, Wore-out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Agreed. This one will not end with a z-pull and a standing O. 

I think in a broader sense DCI needs to in some manner review and verify the "objectivity" and "independence" of the (oversight) boards. Any more instances of invited friends and family members as the BOD should result in a "probationary status" by DCI while the board is reorganized and properly verified/vetted. That's the key imo 

To be honest, I think the whole objective and independence aspect needs to apply to DCI organized as a fully functioning sanctioning board.

However, I can tell that narcissist, borderline personalty disorder, control freak directors will never give up their "autonomy" for the survival and thriving of the activity as a whole.

• Like 2

This is so disturbing. What is even more disturbing is that EVERY SINGLE CORPS has these types of stories either now or in their past. Not one corps is immune to these very issues albeit to drastically different degrees. Yes, there are many that NOW do the right thing but in the not too distant past we all know that wasn't the case. Even the corps at the very very top have their dirty little secrets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MusicManNJ said:

The timing is true. And what this continues to show is DCI's ostrich imitation in dealing with ALL of these issues. Instead of being out front and proactive to address this (and several other) issues that the activity is (and will) face they have adopted a strategy to circling the wagons with cries that the media is "out to get them." This is a TERRIBLE strategy. What the media is out for is the truth. These reporters are doing our activity a service. Transparency is the best disinfectant. DCI (and a few member corps) do not understand this. DCI (and a couple Corps) should take out the trash and dump all the facts on the table. Take their lumps. Make changes. Move on. Of course, how would they ever think of such an approach? Because this is EXACTLY the approach YEA/Cadets chose. DCI can't even learn from something successful right in front of them. Unless they change course I am fearful for the entire activity itself. Oh... and Dan A should resign. 

Actually, the Cadets previous BOD chose to sweep everything under the rug, then dig their heels in over and over when the stories broke... and then resign en masse.  But if you skip over that part, then it is exactly like you said.  

Edited by cixelsyd
  • Like 2