Broke-down buses, Ibuprofen and a sex offender: on the road with Pioneer

2 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

And off-topic we shall go.

Since this is your contention, please proceed and tell us who did what.

Maybe move it to private message? These Pioneer topics are of utmost importance to the activity right now, and rehashing who initiated the G7 proposals definitely seem less priority.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

And off-topic we shall go.

Since this is your contention, please proceed and tell us who did what.

You’re actually the one who made the original assertion. 

Using technology to track your kids on tour. Our son marched in the nighties his first year in Dutch Boy, my wife quit her job to volunteer the entire season. After that, we both popped in and out of the tour.

Put him on a tour today and I would know where he was at all times. Through his fit bit know his medical stats have alerts set. Through his smartphone know how fast the bus was going and if the a/c was working. may even get a whiff of inside the bus. Would have a special emergency ringtone. I would ask him to let me listen to a run through or two. I am sure parents today are doing that & more being engaged is what it's all about.

5 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

Maybe move it to private message? These Pioneer topics are of utmost importance to the activity right now, and rehashing who initiated the G7 proposals definitely seem less priority.

Yes and no

its deeply related

Hopkins was blammed G7, Bb, amplification and electronics etc. when there were in each case many involved 

Those topics are intwined with this issue

its a cultural phenomenon 

several individuals “above the law” in a way

The healing needs to be a much broader and an organizational one

Blenski and Hopkins aren’t even the biggest examples of this sort of abusers in the activity, the bigger ones (several of which have either passed away or are still active in top organizations) have so far been swept under the rug 

and removal of Hopkins doesn’t remove the issue, this one or the others - G7 wasn’t Hopkins, voice wasn’t Hopkins, abuse did not depart with Hopkins (or Blenski)

amd there’s those who think it does - and it doesn’t — there’s a connected few. And THAT needs to end 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Oh boy. It’s literally the opposite 

you don’t know much about pioneer do you?

I get to know what I know about corps first hand when they come to the Boston area in late June/early July and compete in three shows and participate in parade. You see folks, talk to staff and marching members, etc. Pioneer does not come to New England so I have not had the opportunity to know Pioneer as well as other corps, however common sense says that someone with serious management flaws and questionable decision making skills will be remembered more fondly than someone who has so many credible  sexual misconduct allegations against him. Do you think Kevin Spacey’s Most recent movie being a box office flop is an accident? I’m not saying the George Bonfiglio Award will be renamed in his honor or he’ll be considered a giant like Don Warren, Gail Royer, or Bill Cook, and he does have some GH characteristics,  but the allegations against GH are a game changer.

I do know in the past that everything with Pioneer tends to be opposites. “Pioneer is great for first time marchers” to “keep away from Pioneer.” “Pioneer works hard and does their best” to “Pioneer has no work ethic.” “Pioneer is family” to “Pioneer is a clique.” Alums praise the corps and alums trash it. However, we’re not talking about Pioneer’s past as much as we’re talking about what is happening at Pioneer since DCI began investigating the corps in 2017.

Now that this has moved out into the open, beyond the realm of Reddit and DCP, I can’t imagine anyone in their right mind wanting to march there with this guy at the helm. (A moot point anyway, with the suspension.)

I also can’t imagine Dan A. allowing them to tour with him at the helm. (And if he doesn’t appear to be getting more in front of this stuff, I can also see the member corps looking for other options to run DCI. A little early for this, maybe, but the organization’s reputation is taking a beating right now.)

What a royal cluster. 

1 minute ago, Bluzes said:

Using technology to track your kids on tour. Our son marched in the nighties his first year in Dutch Boy, my wife quit her job to volunteer the entire season. After that, we both popped in and out of the tour.

Put him on a tour today and I would know where he was at all times. Through his fit bit know his medical stats have alerts set. Through his smartphone know how fast the bus was going and if the a/c was working. may even get a whiff of inside the bus. Would have a special emergency ringtone. I would ask him to let me listen to a run through or two. I am sure parents today are doing that & more being engaged is what it's all about.

Scary.  That's not called engaged, that's weird.

• Like 2