Broke-down buses, Ibuprofen and a sex offender: on the road with Pioneer

26 minutes ago, Legoman said:

I'm suggesting that DCI, and all involved, work together to fix things. Yes, this would require corps to give up a lot of autonomy, and give DCI a lot more power, but it would create standards that all corps would have to follow, and could help with things like safety, transportation, and housing.

I'll put it this way: I have 3 kids. My oldest will be 11 next month. She already plays violin, piano, and clarinet. She may want to march at some point. My youngest is 8. He is already a huge drum corps fan, and will likely want to march. My wife is not a bando at all. She "doesn't get" drum corps. I've been trying to get her on board for 12 years, and it's just not something she'll ever be that interested in unless we have a direct interest in it. Now, with all of this stuff coming out, if my kids were a little older and were getting ready to audition for a corps, it will be #### near impossible to get her blessing or approval. I'm sure that's the same story for thousands of families around the country. It was already hard enough for kids to convince their non-drum corps knowledgeable parents that there is actually value in spending thousands of dollars and 3 months of your summer riding around the country with 200 strangers, throw in the scandal stuff and it's going to be a hard no from a lot of people. We need drastic changes, and I think the only way to ensure that every single corps can/will provide the same level of safety and positive experience will be to have one central governing body and some tight regulations that cannot be sidestepped for convenience, "tradition", or whatever other reason.

I understand (and agree with) your sentiment.  But unless DCI starts/runs/owns the corps, they will always be (by definition) autonomous organizations.  They can give (and already have given) DCI more authority to police them, but that authority only exists within the DCI activity.

Also, there is no way to "ensure" every corps will be a positive experience.  No one can guarantee safety and health for everyone - that is an unattainable ideal.  The only true governing body in this country is, well, the government... and they cannot meet that kind of guarantee.  What they can do is set standards, perform inspections, provide guidance, and help those who fall victim to health/safety problems.  We already see DCI taking on those types of responsibilities in their activity, with justifiably increasing scope.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

Maybe using the G7 idea as a point of reference wasn't a good one in this context. The point I was trying to make is that while we all wish there were many, many thriving drum corps the reality of the situation is that today's corps require A LOT of money to run and run well. Maybe the activity would be stronger in the long run if the number of active corps was reduced to only those that currently meet an enhanced standard of care and financial responsibility. Others could be brought back into the fold as they can PROVE ANNUALLY that they meet these enhanced standards.

Agreed, with one little adjustment like I made above.  The number of corps is not the issue - meeting proper standards is.

well here's the problem:

Pioneer Board Members
Roman Blenski II
Sue Blenski
Sandra Fugh
Murray Davis
Roman Blenski III
Marci Perkins

If you have any questions regarding the Board of Advisors, please contact the corps at dbcpmilw@execpc.com or via phone at 414.327.2847

2 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Agreed, with one little adjustment like I made above.  The number of corps is not the issue - meeting proper standards is.

My point being that there are many that don't have the financial resources to meet the enhanced standards and I wonder if there is a finite amount of money out there the spread amongst the corps. If the corps can get the funding and sustain it that is awesome. I just don't thing they can.

This media scandal has already hurt housing availability.  Housing is the soft underbelly of DCI.  School boards will see this scandal growing and say “No thanks” and just like that the tour model collapses.  Maybe corps will all leave DCI and go compete in WGI winds?  

This whole thing is sad beyond belief.  The corps directors collectively run DCI.  By turning their heads and looking away they have probably written their own death sentence.  Sure Acheson knew and did nothing as well. Because they all thought that NyQuil-Ibuprofren-Get Back Out There was perfectly normal drum corps. 

Wgi will survive because the Scholastic side butters their bread.  They had no choice but to adapt to changing times.   But DCI is facing a storm that may very well sink the entire ship. 

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

well here's the problem:

Pioneer Board Members
Roman Blenski II
Sue Blenski
Sandra Fugh
Murray Davis
Roman Blenski III
Marci Perkins

If you have any questions regarding the Board of Advisors, please contact the corps at dbcpmilw@execpc.com or via phone at 414.327.2847

"Hello, you've reached the voicemail of Roman Blenski.  He's sorry he can't take your call right now..."  :innocent:

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Pioneer Board Members
Roman Blenski II
Sue Blenski
Sandra Fugh
Murray Davis
Roman Blenski III
Marci Perkins

I can read a lot by job looking at the board members.  This should never be allowed.  How can this board make a sound decision?

1 minute ago, dcikon2 said:

I can read a lot by job looking at the board members.  This should never be allowed.  How can this board make a sound decision?

"Romans, what do y'all think?"

"All in favor say aye."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

my concerns regarding this statement are highlighted in RED

Recently, on social media and in the news, special attention is being paid to Drum Corps in general and certain Corps specifically. Pioneer is one of the Corps that is receiving special consideration. While we might disagree on the accuracy of all the comments, depictions and rhetoric, some of what has been described is true. For those particular situations, we hope you can accept our sincerest apologies.

In response to these recent events, DCI has chosen to suspend Pioneer from the activity pending a comprehensive investigation. In addition, we have launched our own re-evaluation of current policies and procedures to determine areas for improvement. Once we’ve identified those opportunities, we will develop an action plan to make the appropriate changes.

While not everything during a season, regardless the Corps, always goes as planned; there are two things Pioneer has never struggled with and continues to offer to our staff and members. Things uniquely ours compared to the rest of the Drum Corps world. Pioneer is one of the very few “teaching” Corps for inexperienced and/or new musicians. Each and every one of us does their part to contribute to the success of each other no matter the skill level when joining the Corps. Which is a perfect segue to the second unique trait of Pioneer…Family. Pioneer accepts everyone for who they are and welcomes them into the Pioneer family. Whether it is a staff person or member, once you join - you’re family. And yes, that means occasionally disagreeing like family too.

In closing, all of us here at Pioneer want to thank you - our many supporters - and those whom have shared and continue to share concerns and suggestions to help Pioneer make improvements to the program and alert us to challenges.

Working to Be…Better Every Day!

Roman Blenski

my concerns:

Pioneer is one of the Corps that is receiving special consideration >> we are just the latest victim/target of this and not "special or unique"

we might disagree >> so before you launch your own review/investigation you've already decided that much of this (most?) is inaccurate - classing it as "rhetoric"

our sincerest apologies >> yeah, no - not really the "apology" time --- ACTIONS are what is needed, meaningful actions

we have launched our own re-evaluation >> so that's a real comfort! Can't get the injured kid to the urgent care walk in place, but hey - you can conduct a professional internal review

we’ve identified those opportunities, we will develop an action plan >> the comfort of "the same people who created this mess will now self-eval and come up with an action plan"

always goes as planned >> excuse making

one of the very few “teaching” Corps for inexperienced and/or new musicians >> ALL corps teach, and just because Pioneer doesn't attract the most experienced membership isn't an excuse for "special consideration" = more justification / excuse making

Roman Blenski >> did Hopkins even respond initially? I believe his coop BOD did - then they announced his resignation, then their own resignation - this is classic "investigate ourselves"

3 minutes ago, dcikon2 said:

and it's called a "board of advisors" instead of board of directors - speaks volumes

might was well call it "board of rubber stampers"

• Like 1