Broke-down buses, Ibuprofen and a sex offender: on the road with Pioneer

6 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

I wrote a long post about this during the summer. They became a victim and caricature of their constant "Irish image and Irish everything." They had their largest and most talented corps, ever, in 2008 and gave them a laughable, cheesy, show called "Irish In Your Face." People mocked them and called them "The Irish 27th Lancers because of their uniform." I thought comparing Pioneer to the 27th Lancers was an insult; but humorous, nonetheless. They came out with a considerably smaller corps in 2009 and claimed, "We wanted a smaller corps on purpose." Uh-huh. They could never get past the Irish everything shtick. This whole thing started back in '90 when they experienced and incredible amount of success in Div III. Prior to '90, they would play just about any type of music you could think of. 
If the alumni are serious about saving the corps; it's going to need an image overhaul and a completely different way of doing things in all areas. Some have mentioned Soundsport and that actually wouldn't be a bad idea. The current Pioneer is just too far gone to be relevant in the activity that it exists in; from the administrative to the creative.  

You’re off by ten years. That show was in 1998. The following two seasons they placed 17th and 16th respectively. Not too shabby as semi-finals was still the top 17.

On 8/23/2018 at 8:12 AM, fifer said:

Funny how many people, even on this site, praised Roman Blenski as a godsend less than ten years back when everyone was up in arms about the G7 movement.  Roman even gained power when he became a DCI board member and was seen as one of the leaders who was going to save drum corps for the smaller corps.  Just like how Boston was fighting for the little guy back then (even gave the finger with its G7 drill) and now only cares about building their finances so they can buy staff, electronics and props, Roman has turned out to be a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Boston drink your milkshake or something? In my opinion Boston cares about a few more things than that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2018 at 9:26 AM, garfield said:

I know I'm picking nits in a sensitive thread, and will be accused of being grammar police, but shouldn't it be "Broken-down Buses..."?

NO 

"Buses Broke down" :whistle:

2 hours ago, corps8294 said:

I wrote a long post about this during the summer. They became a victim and caricature of their constant "Irish image and Irish everything." They had their largest and most talented corps, ever, in 2008 and gave them a laughable, cheesy, show called "Irish In Your Face." People mocked them and called them "The Irish 27th Lancers because of their uniform." I thought comparing Pioneer to the 27th Lancers was an insult; but humorous, nonetheless. They came out with a considerably smaller corps in 2009 and claimed, "We wanted a smaller corps on purpose." Uh-huh. They could never get past the Irish everything shtick. This whole thing started back in '90 when they experienced and incredible amount of success in Div III. Prior to '90, they would play just about any type of music you could think of. 
If the alumni are serious about saving the corps; it's going to need an image overhaul and a completely different way of doing things in all areas. Some have mentioned Soundsport and that actually wouldn't be a bad idea. The current Pioneer is just too far gone to be relevant in the activity that it exists in; from the administrative to the creative.  

I guess I am the only fan who liked 'Irish in Your Face'

9 hours ago, E3D said:

NO 

"Buses Broke down" :whistle:

Or even more simply...buses gone to ****.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/23/2018 at 8:45 AM, Terri Schehr said:

I’m confused.  DCI has been investigating Pioneer for over a year and Tricia found out all of these violations in a few weeks?  

Cause the members didn't have the courage to speak up about them, or were to scared about the consequences (and retaliation, which has been going on for those who spoke out like me) 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, BachCheddar said:

Cause the members didn't have the courage to speak up about them, or were to scared about the consequences (and retaliation, which has been going on for those who spoke out like me) 

That’s awful.  The last thing you should have to worry about is retaliation.  Very disturbing  

• Sad 2

On 8/30/2018 at 4:10 PM, BachCheddar said:

My deep sympathies. "Sucking it up, Shut up and just deal with it" was and still is unacceptable for so much of what went down there. Just an excuse to hide behind for the folks in charge in this instance.

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:15 AM, IllianaLancerContra said:

I guess I am the only fan who liked 'Irish in Your Face'

Always made a point to see Pioneer at finals. Love the Les Miz show. If anyone's interested Allentown that year was the last time their soundboard worked and we heard them wonderful vocals. Think inside the Muncie Gym was the only other time (on flo) the board didn't cut out. Pioneer always had fans and still do, but all this now it is hard to speak favorability.