Broke-down buses, Ibuprofen and a sex offender: on the road with Pioneer

58 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

Roman Blenski II

Sue Blenski (Roman's wife)

Sandra Fugh (maiden name Sandra Blenski, Roman's daughter)

Murray Davis (music director at the church the Blenskis attend, friend of the family for decades I believe)

Roman Blenski III (Roman's son)

Marci Perkins (Roman III's wife, I believe? Roman's daughter in law)

OK, here's a question, have any of the "family members" held a job outside of Pioneer?  I know that Pioneer has been Roman's life for over 40 years.  I know Roman III has spent his summers on tour with the corps. However, I don't know if any of the rest of the family have worked outside of the corps.

Just a thought considering they all should not be running this organization without any "Outside" oversight.

Edited by Old Corps Guy

7 hours ago, George Dixon said:

He (Blenski) sounds ridiculous. The arrangement of the family running and being the board is ridiculous. The busses sound at best old and unreliable. Perhaps unsafe. Medical care for injured members is a serious offense here/concern.

Sounds like a reorganization and a removal of Blenski and renting professional buses/drivers plus medical oversight might be able to save the drum corps. New board of directors. This needs to start with Blenski and his ilk stepping down and the board resigning.

Not sure enough is left to pick up the pieces, this isn’t a Cadets size organization unfortunately 

they should be required to make the necessary changes, a short partial tour next season in Open Class on probation without any member of that family. That would be my initial take - if the corps continues 

more likely imo would be they refuse to step down and pioneer (what’s left of it) is pushed out of DCI and becomes a local parade type organization 

after some snooping learned some things:

DCI Admin DID meet with staff at San Antonio without Roman. he knew the meeting was happening. Some stuff was admitted to, no verification of what or how severe those issues were. From there til the end of the season, daily calls were made to DCI HQ to confirm any and everything or just to check in and say the day went well.

Whistleblower forms sent to DCI don't go to Dan. he is notified after they are investigated. One problem with this is now, things that shouldn't be sent in are, and people are sending in decades old stuff...some of it even pre DCI. Like they can fix anything prior to 1972. But you do have some serious helicoptering going on, even in corps with good policies in place that medical people...licensed no less...on the road with them. That was my one fear....lots of people would cry wolf or someone be ###### at a tech that didn't baby them. I see it with friends in education....to some people, their kid is NEVER wrong. 

Then Roman does this.

more came out after DCI via communications from members and/or staff as well as the social media stuff. That's what led to this. 

Most disturbing is that there is a small community in the activity trying to smear the reporter, saying shes only in it for awards, brags about awards, married her editor to get ahead...and ya know....that's wrong. Just wrong. I'm no saint, and I do preach some tough love at home to my kid, but for ####s sake, take care of the kids on tour. yes they are tougher than they want to admit, and some good old fashioned inspiration by ### kicking isn't bad, but you have to do it in ways that the kids see its for their good. It's not an easy time now.....corps have to manage kids under and over 18, helicopter parents, no matter how transparent you are people will complain....but the stuff and the legends of Pio past plus this season: inexcusable. And for Roman to be quoted in the press saying this stuff has to be driving Dan to the Tums on a 30 minute basis.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, FTNK said:

I'm really starting to love the surreal bursts from Bluzes.

I'm really starting to hate drum corps.

I still love drum corps. My social media searching for details regarding Pioneer and Oregon Crusaders has turned up dozens and dozens of posts from 2018 MMs from those two corps talking about how much they love and miss their friends from the Summer tour. I still think drum corps can, is, and should be an amazing experience for young people.

I'm really starting to hate the people in power who are messing up that experience for the kids, and I want all of those cancers out of DCI, I don't care what their name or legacy is.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, fifer said:

Funny how many people, even on this site, praised Roman Blenski as a godsend less than ten years back when everyone was up in arms about the G7 movement.  Roman even gained power when he became a DCI board member and was seen as one of the leaders who was going to save drum corps for the smaller corps.  Just like how Boston was fighting for the little guy back then (even gave the finger with its G7 drill) and now only cares about building their finances so they can buy staff, electronics and props, Roman has turned out to be a wolf in sheep's clothing.

you had me til the Boston attack. then your credibility died

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

Roman III has spent his summers on tour with the corps. Howeve

On Reddit it said Roman the third held an IT Job

I keep reading about how DC did this with the Troopers,that with YEA and now Pioneer.

I'm not a lawyer or expert on DCI's By-laws,Charter etc.

I don't see this happening with Pioneer,but  I wonder is what would happen if a member corps decided to challenge  a DCI decision ?

I would think that that could open a whole can of worms,especially if DCI ever had to open all

their records as part of "discovery".

Here's a fun scenario.  The Blenski family resigns and the corps returns to the field.  The first non-irish show in a generation is "The Pining of Roman and Festival"

Bad, bad, bad joke.

Please understand, I completely appreciate the severity of this issue and want nothing but the best for the students.  No teen/young adult should have to go through what has been discussed here.