Broke-down buses, Ibuprofen and a sex offender: on the road with Pioneer

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Whistleblower forms sent to DCI don't go to Dan. he is notified after they are investigated. One problem with this is now, things that shouldn't be sent in are, and people are sending in decades old stuff...some of it even pre DCI. Like they can fix anything prior to 1972. But you do have some serious helicoptering going on, even in corps with good policies in place that medical people...licensed no less...on the road with them. That was my one fear....lots of people would cry wolf or someone be ###### at a tech that didn't baby them. I see it with friends in education....to some people, their kid is NEVER wrong. 

I was afraid we would experience some amount of frivolous use of the reporting system.

This is one factor the pitchfork mob should pay heed to before rushing to criticize DCI for speed of response.  Complaints need to be evaluated before action is taken, and that requires time.  If the complaints are going through an independent third-party reporting system, that adds a bit more time for issues to be communicated to DCI.

I am not a lawyer, but I would guess the legal advice DCI receives is to vet complaints first, and not issue press releases prematurely.  Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I see Roman as a "this is my ball and I'm taking it home" guy.

If there is Pioneer after this  will be surprised. 

Do you think another group could take them on as a feeder group?

• Like 1

Just now, xandandl said:

back then Texas tour and Swamp Tour were not mandatory or de rigeur

The mms computers need it. It's the 21 century.

and good wifi - don't forget the need for good wifi lol 

2 minutes ago, xandandl said:

back then Texas tour and Swamp Tour were not mandatory or de rigeur

The mms computers need it. It's the 21 century.

I would never, ever want this nonsense to happen now but the Guardsmen did Dallas  and Oklahoma City in 1977 in school buses. 

• Like 1

Just starting to reading the article now.

-----------

Blenski, in an interview Monday, said he did not recall making that comment. But he doubled down on branding the whistleblowers as snitches.

"In the regular world, you know, that's snitching," said the 77-year-old Blenski, who founded Pioneer in 1961 and is among drum corps' longest-serving leaders.

"Do we have any proof of who did it? Not with any certainty," he added. "But we have a relative idea who did it."

----------

Oh my. He sounds like a mob boss. Next thing you know, he'll say that flipping ought to be illegal.

Presenting their 2019 show, "Omerta", Drum Corps International is proud to present Pioneer!

Edited by N.E. Brigand
Edited to fix quote-box problems
  • Like 3

During Pioneer's light rain-soaked Allentown performance this summer, one of the wet dragon pieces nearly toppled over onto 2 performers during a prop move.

The MMs struggled to straighten the drooping piece.

This will be the visual memory I carry until the dragon is triumphantly slayed.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I remember in 70's that many Corps buses did not have (or use) AC.  Of course, back then the windows opened.

They blew G-Valves, had the tick system, used inspection ticks or not to select a champion, endured full retreats had inspections stood still for 40 minutes waiting to perform could handle all kinds of un-comforts, B flats changed all that. A/C is a necessity!!!!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Presenting their 2019 show, "Omerta", Drum Corps International is proud to present Pioneer!

Well....that WOULD get them away from the Irish stuff.  'Course, BD already DID the Godfather...Gangs of New York, maybe?