Broke-down buses, Ibuprofen and a sex offender: on the road with Pioneer

15 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

You must have experienced this firsthand - so sorry your experience was unsatisfactory.  Painting the entire generation with that broad brush, however, is not entirely accurate.

Some corps ran their businesses as long as there were interested customers (marchers).  When the community they served no longer had that interest, they shut down.

I saw it happen many times, and not just the corps I marched with. I taught and judged in the mid/late 70's, and it happened over and over. You are also correct in that declining participation was a factor in corps failing as well. It was  not just one thing. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Galen said:

Yep, the lawyers get to earn their stripes in situations like this. Transferring of titles for physical and virtual assets (ie websites, social media accounts, etc.), real estate, vehicles, IP and imagery, etc.  Gonna be an awful lot of paperwork, "party of the first part and party of the second part", etc.

Actually, none of this should be an issue.  No one "owns" any rights or property of a 501(c)3 NPO.  Everything belongs to the corporation.  If the BOD changes, it matters not.  Everything still belongs to the same corporate NPO entity no matter who serves on the Board.  No different than if a huge corporation changes it's CEO.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

Same... except sub out "her" for "him."

yeah but mine wasnt a blood relation...and my daughter loves her SCV shirt

8 hours ago, Minimaster said:

Who in their right mind would look at any show Pioneer has ever done and say,

”Yep, I want to go do that.”

Let’s be real people. 

The product screams incompetently run High School Band.

in the late 90's early 2000's, the product wasn't all that bad. I especially liked the Riverdance show. But then they couldn't retain kids or staff, and many years it was like starting from square one

• Like 3

Well as much as we are dismayed with the happenings at Pioneer, none of the corps are immune from potential skeletons coming out of the closet.  Even the most successful and up and coming corps, who have strong boards, have hired staff with some shady and questionable history.  They are some of the most well loved designers, caption heads, and instructors.  So nobody's corps is perfect and I hope we think about that when making such comments about other corps.  Any corps at this point is suseptible at any time to be the next news story.  This is just the start and I hope all corps think proactively instead of being reactive.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

in the late 90's early 2000's, the product wasn't all that bad. I especially liked the Riverdance show. But then they couldn't retain kids or staff, and many years it was like starting from square one

I wrote a long post about this during the summer. They became a victim and caricature of their constant "Irish image and Irish everything." They had their largest and most talented corps, ever, in 2008 and gave them a laughable, cheesy, show called "Irish In Your Face." People mocked them and called them "The Irish 27th Lancers because of their uniform." I thought comparing Pioneer to the 27th Lancers was an insult; but humorous, nonetheless. They came out with a considerably smaller corps in 2009 and claimed, "We wanted a smaller corps on purpose." Uh-huh. They could never get past the Irish everything shtick. This whole thing started back in '90 when they experienced and incredible amount of success in Div III. Prior to '90, they would play just about any type of music you could think of. 
If the alumni are serious about saving the corps; it's going to need an image overhaul and a completely different way of doing things in all areas. Some have mentioned Soundsport and that actually wouldn't be a bad idea. The current Pioneer is just too far gone to be relevant in the activity that it exists in; from the administrative to the creative.  

10 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Why did God make snakes just before lawyers?  To practice.

As I have always said...”keep your friends close, your enemies closer, and sleep with your attorney...”

• Haha 1