Drain The Swamp, Dan

Dan seems to only make a move when things blow up in the media. Maybe Dan is a part of the swamp itself. I have a hard time he hasn't known about pioneer's issues prior to this season. 

It's time to be proactive instead of reactive. Enough of playing defense. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

At championships, I spent some time with a friend of mine, a co-founder of one of the top 7 corps. He hadn't seen Dan in person since Indy '17.  My friend's comment was "Dan has aged tremendously. Is he well?"  Although I had seen him exercising in Allentown near the Hilton Garden Inn and knew he had been trying to stay healthy with the hectic summer schedule he has to keep, I had to concur. He's had the job long enough to earn tenure and is of age.  If he leaves, I suspect it will be due to health issues.

Of course, the question would have to be asked simultaneously, "Who would replace him?"  Cadets face a similar situation in naming a CEO for YEA.  

In life according to my experience, it is always best to move toward something rather than fleeing from something else. We know many of the problems. Who would be the best fixer and who would set the best future may not be spontaneously answered.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

It's time to be proactive instead of reactive. Enough of playing defense. 

Enough with this drip drip drip...

xghy8bge8a4r6eo6g.jpg

• Like 2

I'm curious - does the OP have credible information and evidence that there are specific people with backgrounds that would disallow them from working at individual corps who are, in fact, working today with a corps? If so, have you contacted that corps' Board of Directors directly, passing on the information you have?  

DCI, even with the changes put in this year, was not designed to be a policing agency for the individual corps. That role is primarily, as it always has been, with the individual corps in question. IF a specific corps' Board of Directors is unresponsive to your contact, then I could see escalating to the DCI level, with full documentation of exactly when and where the conversations took place. I would CC Kathy Black, the DCI Board President, on any all all claims of impropriety or illegal activity

I'm hearing that there's movement for a complete overhaul of the DCI Governance model (no directors on the DCI Board, and a stronger ED role in policing backstage elements of how the corps do business). I'm hoping that information is accurate, since it's time for DCI to modernize the oversight and financial structure of their organization to be in a better position to promote the activity and safeguard the members and the staffs with firmer, enforceable policies.  If DCI's voting membership ever had a reason for supporting this notion, you'd have to hope that this past 6 months would be all the evidence they need.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 4

There's also the possibility that DCI may be forced to move on from Dan, if more things keep coming to light, that are of such a deplorable nature.

38 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

I'm curious - do the OP have credible information and evidence that there are specific people with backgrounds that would disallow them from working at individual corps who are, in fact, working today with a corps? If so, have you contacted that corps' Board of Directors directly, passing on the information you have?  

DCI, even with the changes put in this year, was not designed to be a policing agency for the individual corps. That role is primarily, as it always has been, with the individual corps in question. IF a specific corps' Board of Directors is unresponsive to your contact, then I could see escalating to the DCI level, with full documentation of exactly when and where the conversations took place. I would CC Kathy Black, the DCI Board President, on any all all claims of impropriety or illegal activity

I'm hearing that there's movement for a complete overhaul of the DCI Governance model (no directors on the DCI Board, and a stronger ED role in policing backstage elements of how the corps do business). I'm hoping that information is accurate, since it's time for DCI to modernize the oversight and financial structure of their organization to be in a better position to promote the activity and safeguard the members and the staffs with firmer, enforceable policies.  If DCI's voting membership ever had a reason for supporting this notion, you'd have to hope that this past 6 months would be all the evidence they need.

The real problem here is as you said, DCI would need a complete overhaul.  The cooperate structure would have to change.  Dci doesn't own the corps, the corps own DCI.  I'm not trying to stop change, but to everyone that is asking why DCI doesn't step in more, the answer is they can't.  Not yet anyways.  Obviously the press is going to putting pressure on them to change, but the corporate structure will need to change completely to give DCI the power to enforce the rules.   I'm not sure some of the better run corps would want to give up control as it stands, so we may see another g7 type breakaway threat in the future.   Interesting times.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

At championships, I spent some time with a friend of mine, a co-founder of one of the top 7 corps. He hadn't seen Dan in person since Indy '17.  My friend's comment was "Dan has aged tremendously. Is he well?"  Although I had seen him exercising in Allentown near the Hilton Garden Inn and knew he had been trying to stay healthy with the hectic summer schedule he has to keep, I had to concur. He's had the job long enough to earn tenure and is of age.  If he leaves, I suspect it will be due to health issues.

Of course, the question would have to be asked simultaneously, "Who would replace him?"  Cadets face a similar situation in naming a CEO for YEA.  

In life according to my experience, it is always best to move toward something rather than fleeing from something else. We know many of the problems. Who would be the best fixer and who would set the best future may not be spontaneously answered.

Dan did compete in the Street Beat 5K on Finals Saturday. Had a very respectable time for our age group, IIRC.

1 minute ago, dark-helmet said:

I'm not sure some of the better run corps would want to give up control as it stands, so we may see another g7 type breakaway threat in the future.  

The biggest corps' Boards are some of the most notable proponents of the change, from what I'm told. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

The biggest corps' Boards are some of the most notable proponents of the change, from what I'm told. 

They are, but if DCI were to fold tomorrow those corps still could control their own purse stings and move on to what ever comes next as an organization.  That's why DCI 's scope is limited.  They control the judging and venues, but not the corps themselves.  Without DCI, the corps still find another way but without corps there is no DCI.