Drain The Swamp, Dan

4 minutes ago, Liahona said:

I saw this on Facebook and thought it might be appropriate to this thread...PRIORITIES a bit misguided...

39930104_2069423406411415_62726977732843

Brevity and priority are two different things.  Do you think that police prioritize speeding tickets over murders based on how long it takes to identify and arrest a murder suspect?

6 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Brevity and priority are two different things.  Do you think that police prioritize speeding tickets over murders based on how long it takes to identify and arrest a murder suspect?

It was just my interpretation of the meme...I'm trying to understand what "brevity" that is shortness of time has to do with it...my interpretation is they are fast to react to certain things and slow to others...

Edited by Liahona
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Slingerland said:

I'm curious - do the OP have credible information and evidence that there are specific people with backgrounds that would disallow them from working at individual corps who are, in fact, working today with a corps? If so, have you contacted that corps' Board of Directors directly, passing on the information you have?  

DCI, even with the changes put in this year, was not designed to be a policing agency for the individual corps. That role is primarily, as it always has been, with the individual corps in question. IF a specific corps' Board of Directors is unresponsive to your contact, then I could see escalating to the DCI level, with full documentation of exactly when and where the conversations took place. I would CC Kathy Black, the DCI Board President, on any all all claims of impropriety or illegal activity

I'm hearing that there's movement for a complete overhaul of the DCI Governance model (no directors on the DCI Board, and a stronger ED role in policing backstage elements of how the corps do business). I'm hoping that information is accurate, since it's time for DCI to modernize the oversight and financial structure of their organization to be in a better position to promote the activity and safeguard the members and the staffs with firmer, enforceable policies.  If DCI's voting membership ever had a reason for supporting this notion, you'd have to hope that this past 6 months would be all the evidence they need.

I agree about complete overhaul of the Governance Model.

Maybe allow 1 corps representative.

Then form a separate board or committee,whatever you want to call it, made up of corps directors.

They would be responsible for the rules governing amplification,judging etc.,but that's it.

19 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

I agree about complete overhaul of the Governance Model.

Maybe allow 1 corps representative.

Then form a separate board or committee,whatever you want to call it, made up of corps directors.

They would be responsible for the rules governing amplification,judging etc.,but that's it.

That's pretty much the model I've heard discussed, though without any directors on the business board. Let the corps directors discuss rules for competition, and the business board drive the long-term vision re: financial growth.

Edited by Slingerland

19 minutes ago, dans said:

Too late...the name of this thread is obviously political in nature.

They drain the swamp to expose and kill the alligators preying on innocents.

Politics has alligators, and drum corps has alligators.

Best to stay in our swamp when posting.

(If the mods don't like the thread title, they'll adjust it like they adjust any political posts, I think.)

Comment withdrawn.

Edited by luv4corps

As I'm reading some of the comments, I think many of us are armchair quarterbacks, but there is a great deal of truth in what is being said.

People have mentioned top corps want to see changes in safety procedures, reporting abuse, etc. I believe they are correct. However, those who point out that these same corps do not want to give up autonomy are also correct.

Some are quick to point the finger at Dan Acheson. Have we ever looked at his job description to determine if he is failing in his responsibilities? He is paid by DCI and the corps directors and board determines what his job is, he does not create it himself, and if he is creating it himself, that indicates other problems. It was mentioned he did not know of Pioneer's problems until 2017. Should he have known? Probably, but is it his job to evaluate each corps? Most likely, no, but should it be, in light of what we are now seeing? Yes. The directors need to be determining what Dan Acheson should be doing and making sure that it is completed. It would not hurt matters if he were to say "This is what needs to be done" and pushed for their approval. That would be leadership, but as we know, whether it be the reason or excuse, DCI gets its directives from the corps directors.

Schools are often accredited, from the neighborhood preschool to Harvard University, and often if a school is not accredited, questions are raised. Accreditation is important for schools because as anyone who has ever spent time in a classroom knows, it is easy to see where others need to improve, but it is not easy to see our own strengths and shortcomings. DCI seems to have a good hold on financial issues, and while the financial picture of often a snapshot of the health of an organization, it does not tell the whole story. We need people who can evaluate how rehearsals are conducted, if basic procedures are followed, how meals are handles, who take scare of medical issues, ho problems that can arise from corps members are handled. There need to be formal means of evaluation as well as surprise checks and visits. 

1 minute ago, luv4corps said:

Tried to PM you about this but it didn't work.  Please direct me to the social site to which you refer above regarding OC.  Thanks.

Most of what I have seen regarding Oregon Crusaders is on the DCP page on Facebook, though unless things have changed since the last time I visited, the posts were clear on problems at OC, the large scale resignations, and that many members will not be returning, but vague on the details except that a whistle blower was involvved.

3 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Most of what I have seen regarding Oregon Crusaders is on the DCP page on Facebook, though unless things have changed since the last time I visited, the posts were clear on problems at OC, the large scale resignations, and that many members will not be returning, but vague on the details except that a whistle blower was involvved.

I actually withdrew my comment because I found some stuff on Reddit that is more to the point, but I'll also check out the facebook DCP.  I had been aware that there was massive migration but I had no idea why, so I'm investigating.  Jeez this is a rough year for drum corps.  Sad.  :(

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tim K said:

as well as surprise checks and visits. 

Good luck with this suggestion.  Those responsible for this action don't want this company, school, military unit, etc. to have issues since it might reflect on their job protection.