Drain The Swamp, Dan

5 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

Jeez this is a rough year for drum corps.  Sad.  :(

For incidents off the field, yes, it has been.  But, those issues should be a major wake up call, and with good leadership throughout the whole DCI tree, the product will become stronger.

3 hours ago, Slingerland said:

I'm curious - does the OP have credible information and evidence that there are specific people with backgrounds that would disallow them from working at individual corps who are, in fact, working today with a corps? If so, have you contacted that corps' Board of Directors directly, passing on the information you have?  

DCI, even with the changes put in this year, was not designed to be a policing agency for the individual corps. That role is primarily, as it always has been, with the individual corps in question. IF a specific corps' Board of Directors is unresponsive to your contact, then I could see escalating to the DCI level, with full documentation of exactly when and where the conversations took place. I would CC Kathy Black, the DCI Board President, on any all all claims of impropriety or illegal activity

I'm hearing that there's movement for a complete overhaul of the DCI Governance model (no directors on the DCI Board, and a stronger ED role in policing backstage elements of how the corps do business). I'm hoping that information is accurate, since it's time for DCI to modernize the oversight and financial structure of their organization to be in a better position to promote the activity and safeguard the members and the staffs with firmer, enforceable policies.  If DCI's voting membership ever had a reason for supporting this notion, you'd have to hope that this past 6 months would be all the evidence they need.

and this isnt a change that CAn be done overnight. In fact rushing it will be worse in the long run.

Dan et al in the Indy office need proof before they can go after someone. Sure tons of rumors out there, like rumors of an article due two weeks ago, but if people wont go on the record, what can you do? You bounce someone with accusations and no proof...your ### is in court.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ibexpercussion said:

There's also the possibility that DCI may be forced to move on from Dan, if more things keep coming to light, that are of such a deplorable nature.

but Dan is a scapegoat. It wasn't his job to be Mark Emmertt from the NCAA. that was not how DCI was set up and in fact, Dan answers to the board. Why? When DCI was founded, they didnt want an all powerful overlord like Tony S from the VFW.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

I actually withdrew my comment because I found some stuff on Reddit that is more to the point, but I'll also check out the facebook DCP.  I had been aware that there was massive migration but I had no idea why, so I'm investigating.  Jeez this is a rough year for drum corps.  Sad.  :(

Facebook DCp had 81 member requests as of yesterday. average probably 10-20 a day right now

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

but Dan is a scapegoat. It wasn't his job to be Mark Emmertt from the NCAA. that was not how DCI was set up and in fact, Dan answers to the board. Why? When DCI was founded, they didnt want an all powerful overlord like Tony S from the VFW.

But it didn't take long for them to realize they needed a real "Tony S (Soprano)" and hired Don Pesceone.

What goes around, comes around.  And we are around.

It's time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dark-helmet said:

They control the judging and venues, but not the corps themselves.  

Yes and No.

DCI HQ, under the current DCI By Laws can not currently demand a Corps change its Corps Directors, nor its BOD.  But what it can do, and has done on several occasions , and without DCI Member Corps assembly, consent or vote taking, unilaterally vote to suspend, put on probation, or even oust a Corps from DCI for not satisfying DCI HQ assessments that it is an effectively run Drum Corps. This happened to the Troopers in the Fall of 2005. DCI HQ , in their assessment, belived at the time that the Troopers were not financially being managed well, and ousted the Troopers from DCI participation for 2006, and persumably, without a replacement of the Corps Director and BOD there, a permanent ouster. But DCI did not WANT this ouster of the Troopers to become permanent. DCI HQ hoped that such an ouster would finally get the Troopers there to change its Management, change its Financial status, and come back and reapply for future membership after a brief time out. This action by DCI HQ did get its intended change there. The Troopers changed Corps Directors, Board, took a season off to get their financial house in order, and reapplied for DCI Membership. DCI HQ 's stated requirements were satisfied, and in 2007 the Troopers were granted full DCI Membership rights, and were returned by DCI HQ that season to World Class Division competition. The Magic of Orlando left World Class Competition in 1999, took a few years off, and wanted to return to World Class Division competition for 2002. But DCI HQ thwarted that attermpt, and told Magic that because of the time elapse of more than a season, DCI HQ would only allow Magic to return to Open Class competition now. Not World Class Division. It was a take it or leave directive to Magic by DCI HQ. Magic took the offer, competed in Open Class upon their return, won 29 straight shows in winning Open Class ( with a 99 score ) that season of their return. Magic then asked to be moved up to World Class ( Magic could not make that decision) for 2003, and DCI HQ approved that request from Magic for the following season.

DCI HQ has moved Corps up and down in Division Classes, suspended Corps, put Corps on probation, and has even ousted Corps from DCI membership. So its powers are much broader than some here would have us believe. All this said, DCI HQ tends to be more reactive, than proactive. It seems to move only when things go wrong. Its true, that DCI HQ. is not a truly " Governing body " and as such really does not currently have true oversight powers, that most " Governing Bodies " in some other activities have. I'm hearing that DCI HQ may undergo a potential overhaul of its structure institutionally to provide more " checks and balances ", and real, genuine, oversight. DCI really does need institutional restructuring, imo. Whether Corps are willing to give up some control for the overall betterment of the whole, of course remains to be seen.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tim K said:

We need people who can evaluate how rehearsals are conducted, if basic procedures are followed, how meals are handles, who take scare of medical issues, ho problems that can arise from corps members are handled. There need to be formal means of evaluation as well as surprise checks and visits. 

i agree 100% on the need for formal evaluations.

If we're talking about DCI being  a true governing body,that's essential.

As I've said,I'm an engineer.

I do Requests for Proposals and Bid Specifications all the time.

Every one of them has a "Certification of Equipment" form.

It lists each piece of equipment owned or leased,age etc.

DCI could make all corps submit something like that at the start of every season.

I also prepare different types of Maintainance Log sheets.

Again, require corps to record any "issues" with buses,trucks etc.

The log says what the problem is,how it was addressed and when.

Normally my log sheets require 2 signatures.

Keep it in the one of the corps' staff R.V.'s

DCI would be able to see it anytime they want.

It could also be sent to them if needed.

They should also be submitted by all corps at the end of the season.

40 minutes ago, Ghost said:

For incidents off the field, yes, it has been.  But, those issues should be a major wake up call, and with good leadership throughout the whole DCI tree, the product will become stronger.

This is the hope of all of us.  

Edited by luv4corps

18 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I am not sure I would agree. He could be part of the problem. He is responsible for the communications on these issues from DCI. They have had to do second and third press releases to clarify policies and responses (see Pio and the new Policies). This has a been amateur hour over there. They have been told by many people to get professional communications help but they think (wrongly) this is something they can handle in house. Oh... and having your PR person yelling at a reporter is not a sign of having things under control. I agree much of this is the responsibility of the corps (and they should learn the lessons from YEA) but DCI and Dan could be doing a better (and more proactive) job in handling this IMHO.

• Like 1