Drain The Swamp, Dan

35 minutes ago, jasgre2000 said:

I agree that it might be a good idea to change the way DCI is governed (giving control to an independent board that isn't governed by the corps themselves).  My point is only that it isn't necessary and those that keep saying that the way DCI is structured is somehow tying their hands and preventing them from acting are wrong.  The problem isn't with the way DCI is structured ... it is with the PEOPLE that are controlling that structure.  It is the people that are to blame, whether it is the corps directors themselves, the DCI board, or Dan Acheson, not the structure.

Ask Dan and he will tell you that the by-laws charge him, and it is his greatest desire, to be and do what the BoD wants him to be and do.  The structure dictates that, and any variance outside of that is able to be overruled by the BoD.  It is NOT the people - I would venture to say that nearly every person involved in the DCI executive and BoD seats is passionate, competent, and well-intended (well, maybe with an exception...).  But, when the "structure" says the Executive and his staff act the way the BoD directs, and "...most everything else is summarily rejected by the BoD" (while they, as directors, argue about what's going to be done at retreat)...

...it IS the structure that needs changed.

(That doesn't go to confirm that ANY existing staff is the appropriate staff according to any new, independent BoD.)

Edited by garfield
grammar
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, garfield said:

Ask Dan and he will tell you that the by-laws charge him, and it is his greatest desire, to be and do what the BoD wants him to be and do.  The structure dictates that, and any variance outside of that is able to be overruled by the BoD.  It is NOT the people - I would venture to say that nearly every person involved in the DCI executive and BoD seats are passionate, competent, and well-intended people.  But, when the "structure" says the Executive and his staff act the way the BoD directs, and "...most everything else is summarily rejected by the BoD" (while they, as directors, argue about what's going to be done at retreat)...

(That doesn't go to confirm that ANY existing staff is the appropriate staff according to any new, independent BoD.)

Are the members of the BoD not people? Idiotic way to run an organization, but it's still not an excuse.  They could act if they wanted to.

Edited by jasgre2000

28 minutes ago, garfield said:

Ask Dan and he will tell you that the by-laws charge him, and it is his greatest desire, to be and do what the BoD wants him to be and do.  The structure dictates that, and any variance outside of that is able to be overruled by the BoD.  It is NOT the people - I would venture to say that nearly every person involved in the DCI executive and BoD seats is passionate, competent, and well-intended (well, maybe with an exception...).  But, when the "structure" says the Executive and his staff act the way the BoD directs, and "...most everything else is summarily rejected by the BoD" (while they, as directors, argue about what's going to be done at retreat)...

21 minutes ago, jasgre2000 said:

Are the members of the BoD not people? Idiotic way to run an organization, but it's still not an excuse.  They could act if they wanted to.

I edited a bit for grammar but, clearly, I said that the BoD are people.  And I can't disagree with you - "idiotic" is apt.  But "they" DID act (even if not to the liking or expectation of some).

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

Actually you never said anything about Dan investigating anything. You asked a question and then went on about his ethical duty, giving two options/ choices that I personally disagree with. If he comes actoss verifiable illegal activity his duty is to inform the authorities. If there is verifiable safety issues, as with Pio, then they did the right thing, from reading.

Really?  I said that early on and you even quoted me saying it :crazy:

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I’m not saying he’s without fault. But he’s not the sole source of blame. Dci was never set up to be the all encompassing ncaa and as we have seen, they can’t get it right, like, well ever. If the ncaa could get it right Urban Meyer would be out of a job 

There you go again. I don’t think I’ve said anywhere that he’s the only person at fault. But as the CEO the buck stops with him.  Ultimately this all happened under his watch (maybe un-watch?).  The fact there was no reporting mechanism is his fault.  The fact that Pioneer treated their kids so poorly for so many season is his fault.  The fact Naldony is putting DCI scandal after DCI scandal on national front pages is his fault. 

3 hours ago, jasgre2000 said:

Why did they wait until the last week of the season to investigate?  Come on!

The investigation and interviews/meetings with their staff started several weeks before the end of the season. For the final weeks of the season, DCI was monitoring the situation in real time to make sure that there were no further violations.

I suppose Hop is still in the DCI hall of fame. Everyone is pretty busy.   How can people be so dense when it comes to public relations?  

• Like 4

Just now, HockeyDad said:

I suppose Hop is still in the DCI hall of fame. Everyone is pretty busy.   How can people be so dense when it comes to public relations?  

The memo was it would be decided in September.  Almost upon us.

43 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

1 hour ago, soccerguy315 said:

So it seems like we are still waiting on happenings from Oregon Crusaders, Genesis, and Vanguard.

DCI is not out in front of any of these either.

And I'm sure there are others...

Genesis published a lengthy response to questions about their staff member under question. It's findable on Reddit. Hard to question the seriousness with which they undertook the process of evaluation, and (for me, anyway) to doubt that they made a decision on that staffer that was reasonable under the circumstances.

It's not DCI's primary responsibility to dive deep in background checking individuals hired by each member corps; it's still the corps' responsibilities at this point, until such a time as the member corps give DCI that authority to sign off on that individual and own responsibility for their actions - which any attorney DCI would hire will tell them is a terrible idea, given the inability of DCI to be monitoring and managing individual staff members on a day to day basis.

Ultimate responsibility will always be at the individual corps level. DCI can institute policies designed to provide guidance and standards, but it will be up to each corps and their Boards of Directors to maintain oversight.

People want to drain a "swamp"? Put pressure on the corps who are hiring the swamp monsters, and be prepared to have solid intel to back up your claims. 

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2