Drain The Swamp, Dan

5 hours ago, Liahona said:

It was just my interpretation of the meme...I'm trying to understand what "brevity" that is shortness of time has to do with it...my interpretation is they are fast to react to certain things and slow to others...

It just takes one wrong move to derail an informative thread

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

DCI began their investigation in July, following reports from the members. That's not being reactive to the press, but to the situation, as they should be. 

Facts can be hard when you've spent considerable time sharpening your tines.

4 hours ago, Tim K said:

DCI gets its directives from the corps directors.

Exactly,  What are the directors saying to Dan? Here is a spreadsheet of changes that need to be done to improve our health & safety, your role is highlighted? Are not the changes we are looking for the corps responsibility? What do they want from Dan? Spell it out, how can dci help our safety & health issues? The corps directors except for Roman don't seem to come in focus. Is Dan holding up the health & safety or does he just take the fall if something that was preventable at the corps level occurs?

7 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

I am not sure I would agree. He could be part of the problem. He is responsible for the communications on these issues from DCI. They have had to do second and third press releases to clarify policies and responses (see Pio and the new Policies). This has a been amateur hour over there. They have been told by many people to get professional communications help but they think (wrongly) this is something they can handle in house. Oh... and having your PR person yelling at a reporter is not a sign of having things under control. I agree much of this is the responsibility of the corps (and they should learn the lessons from YEA) but DCI and Dan could be doing a better (and more proactive) job in handling this IMHO.

I guarantee you every action is lawyer driven, and to be honest since the Tresona blowup I’ve found their legal teams approach lacking

• Like 1

7 hours ago, karuna said:

No one is suggesting he's the sole issue but he was certainly a significant part of the problem  When you hear rumors about sexual misconductt and member mistreatment in drum corps, don't you have a duty to investigate them?  And if the corps directors decide to just cover up and refuse to take action,  don't you have an ethical duty to (A) resign (B) bring those problems to light in the press ?  Sorry.  He's as guilty as anyone.  

Rumors. No hard proof. Dan gets crackpots calling all the time with rumors and conspiracy theories. Give him hard facts, he will act. And until this spring he was limited in the powers to act. 

Edited by Jeff Ream

7 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

He suspended Pioneer.  Hard to characterize that as "do nothing".

Only when he had no other choice due to increasing publicity.  If he had done it during the season or even immediately after finals it would have meant something.  Now it's just like saying you're sorry after you get caught. It's the right move but he doesn't get any props for it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Rumors. No hard proof. Dan gets crockpots calling all the time with rumors and conspiracy theories. Give him hard favs, he will act. And until this spring he was limited in the powers to act. 

Only hard facts? Those only come when you investigate.  Besides he’s been around drum corps long enough to know lots of facts that were just conveniently overlooked in the interest of keeping things quiet to protect the image of DCI.  The way Pioneer was being run was no secret.  Neither were many of the other dirty little secrets.  How did Naldony get her facts?  She reached out and found them pretty much on a silver platter.  Hell even the Hopkins story had an “out” to protect DCI and the corps but Hopkins refused it. Sorry Dan is plenty guilty in all of this. Might be a nice guy, but he had a chance to act and chose not to.  

Edited by karuna
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, karuna said:

Only hard facts? Those only come when you investigate.  Besides he’s been around drum corps long enough to know lots of facts that were just conveniently overlooked in the interest of keeping things quiet to protect the image of DCI.  The way Pioneer was being run was no secret.  Neither were many of the other dirty little secrets.  How did Naldony get her facts?  She reached out and found them pretty much on a silver platter.  Hell even the Hopkins story had an “out” to protect DCI and the corps but Hopkins refused it. Sorry Dan is plenty guilty in all of this. Might be a nice guy, but he had a chance to act and chose not to.  

shall i type slower for you?

until

April

the

power

was

not

there

why? His bosses, the 24 corps directors on the board, didn't give it to him. He didn't, and still doesn't, by charter, have the power to just make executive orders that become law. You need to understand how DCI is set up and operates. Dan is there because the board has him there, and his mandate isn't to be God.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, karuna said:

No one is suggesting he's the sole issue but he was certainly a significant part of the problem  When you hear rumors about sexual misconductt and member mistreatment in drum corps, don't you have a duty to investigate them?  And if the corps directors decide to just cover up and refuse to take action,  don't you have an ethical duty to (A) resign (B) bring those problems to light in the press ?  Sorry.  He's as guilty as anyone.  

No, he did not have an "ethical" duty to resign or notify the press. Especially based on rumors without real reported evidence. 

• Thanks 1