Putting it all in context

Certainly changes will be coming. It is necessary to further insulate the "brand" from damaging conduct that makes moving into the future more difficult. A few ideas:

1. Make DCI Membership (Seal of Approval, etc.) a more difficult standard to achieve. Score at Championship should not be enough. I'm sure there are underlying qualifiers beyond just this, but are they as rigid as needed?

2. Limit participation in sanctioned DCI events to just 25 corps (Open and World combined).

3. Minimum age requirement to perform as a DCI corps set at 18. Maximum age 22. Everyone over the age of consent.

4. Reduce the size of certified corps adult instructional staff. Way too many techs these days to monitor.

5. Independent safety inspections of all rolling stock.

6. Legally Certified medical person with corps at all times during group travel and participation in DCI events.

7. Firm guidelines on practice hours and rest time.

To clarify, it just seems the "elite level" of DCI performance groups have way too much at stake to be tarnished by smaller, kitchen table managed corps.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

I believe the question is not 'What is wrong with drum corps?' as if drum corps was a unique case; but, 'How do the conditions which are present in drum corps today aid and abet abuse of power by individuals, just as we see in every other area of society? What checks and balances can be put in place to minimize or eliminate the perpetuation of such abuse?'

The right questions to be asking, imho.

4 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

3. Minimum age requirement to perform as a DCI corps set at 18. Maximum age 22. Everyone over the age of consent.

I get what you are getting at but wonder what's the drivers. Abuse at any age is unacceptable the only thing this does is protect the perpetrators from added affecting minors charges after the fact. What does a potential MM do the year or 2 after HS. How do they hone their skill, not find other activities so as not to wait around for dci. What happens to open class?

All the other points make a lot of sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Something like this is what would hurt the activity.  Age is not the problem.  Plenty of accusers were above the age of consent.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

I get what you are getting at but wonder what's the drivers. Abuse at any age is unacceptable the only thing this does is protect the perpetrators from added affecting minors charges after the fact. What does a potential MM do the year or 2 after HS. How do they hone their skill, not find other activities so as not to wait around for dci. What happens to open class?

All the other points make a lot of sense.

As to the age thing . . . . I'm thinking more about national touring groups who hold a DCI designation.  Surely, there will be groups throughout the nation with younger participants. Just seems too risky to embark on official DCI "6 week long camping trips" with underage youths.

Edited by Fred Windish

1 minute ago, Ediker said:

Something like this is what would hurt the activity.  Age is not the problem.  Plenty of accusers were above the age of consent.  

Yes, I realize the difficulty here. Abuse is still abuse, etc. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

To clarify, it just seems the "elite level" of DCI performance groups have way too much at stake to be tarnished by smaller, kitchen table managed corps.

I was with you on most things until this statement. The corps and situation that brought this whole thing to a head was one of the premiere "elite level" DCI performance groups. GH and a large number of sycophantic followers/alumni as well as DCI itself allowed it to fester at the top for literally decades.

I know people want to point to Cadets as a model for what should be done to correct issues but I think we need to tap the brakes there a bit and allow them to stay clear of issues for more than a few months before we all fall to out knees praising them. I'm sure I'll catch heck for saying this but come on people. 

Edited by Spatzzz
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

As to the age thing . . . . I'm thinking more about national touring groups who hold a DCI designation.  Surely, there will be groups throughout the nation with younger participants. Just seems too risky to embark on official DCI "6 week long camping trips" with underage youths.

There is an advantage to that. To some extent that is a natural occurrence with top corps with very few minors that older MMs take under their wing.

38 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

That would essentially end DCI participation for Shadow of Oregon, WI, a corps self-limited to high-school aged kids.  Gives the term "Shadow banning" a new meaning.