Putting it all in context

Is SoundSport a safe space for Pioneer to rebuild.? A small unit on the best bus, on their best behavior and enough peanut butter on board. Easier to monitor how the kids are doing. A way back into dci. Concerned alumni could help fill the ranks of a supporting Parade Corps. Could keep the Pioneer lights on if that is the objective.

Knowing the objective is key to our discussion. Hopefully, that will begin to work itself out. 

Edited by Bluzes
typo

Every change will create a different challenge somewhere else, no doubt.  At the highest level of  "official" DCI participation (World Class only, Top 12?) I'd be more comfortable promoting what's going on as a YOUNG ADULT division, rather than simply Youth.

Tough topic!

Edited by Fred Windish

The OP, mfontz,  clear thinking is to be commended.

The Pioneer woes are more a matter of limited personnel, equipment maintenance and financial reserves

than intentional uncaring attitudes of all staff towards to performers.

No doubt DCI will be imposing strict conditions for the corps management.

Upon the outcome of upcoming decisions I would hope the DCP community

would aid the corps in the manner they reacted to the 2017 Legends tour fiasco.

The Pioneer's long history thru good and bad times is worth consideration.

Is Pioneer's teaching corps philosophy part of the problem? Taking kids off the streets in the spring. Subjecting them to the trials and tribulations of a world-class tour just weeks later. Even the other corps in their grouping are not subjecting their members to such culture shock. Is world-class the place to have a teaching corps? Teaching fits better in SoundSport or open class. Their philosophy should not be a reason failure coming in last all the time. That sure builds character down-side-up.   

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Is Pioneer's teaching corps philosophy part of the problem? Taking kids off the streets in the spring. Subjecting them to the trials and tribulations of a world-class tour just weeks later. Even the other corps in their grouping are not subjecting their members to such culture shock. Is world-class the place to have a teaching corps? Teaching fits better in SoundSport or open class. Their philosophy should not be a reason failure coming in last all the time. That sure builds character down-side-up.   

They have always claimed to give that world-class experience since they have been in WC..They didn't, nor did very good staff at times get the chance. I helped to provide some other opportunities for enough staff over the years to know all of this 1st hand.

With all that said there is way more to why they are in this position and THAT has little to do with what class I believe Bluzes other than they themselves could not provide for where THEY chose to compete.

Edited by GUARDLING

3 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

Pioneers issues do in no way stem from the class they compete in. Not in any way, shape or form.

Whatever, it's a very valid point. Teaching failure as a philosophy when it's not necessary (WC) does little good. Pioneer's philosophy is an excuse to keep the family business in WC to make more money That forms and shapes a picture you can hang your hat on. Even from ones down-side-up thought process.

9 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

With all that said there is way more to why they are in this position and THAT has little to do with what class I believe Bluzes

I would like to agree but their own information speaks their philosophy. Roman uses it as an excuse in his press releases. I am not making any of this up what am I missing?

It's ok for Roman to pick kids off the street putting them through a meat grinder and patting yourself on your back because you came in last. When the kids could have thrived in another class. It's a philosophy that has been abused for reasons outside the well being of the kids. I fear for these kids the more I get beat up here. What does this site stand for except the kids? Is being in WC more important? dci should do some soul searching.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Whatever, it's a very valid point. Teaching failure as a philosophy when it's not necessary (WC) does little good. Pioneer's philosophy is an excuse to keep the family business in WC to make more money That forms and shapes a picture you can hang your hat on. Even from ones down-side-up thought process.

The issues regarding member safety in no way are impacted by the class they compete in. If they competed in OC the director would still treat the members in the same manner as he does today. That would not change. IMHO it isn't a valid point at all.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

I would like to agree but their own information speaks their philosophy. Roman uses it as an excuse in his press releases. I am not making any of this up what am I missing?

It's ok for Roman to pick kids off the street putting them through a meat grinder and patting yourself on your back because you came in last. When the kids could have thrived in another class. It's a philosophy that has been abused for reasons outside the well being of the kids. I fear for these kids the more I get beat up here. What does this site stand for except the kids? Is being in WC more important? dci should do some soul searching.

I actually added a little to my statememnt...go back. I think it says a little more.

Also , I am not disagreeing with you at all. I stated a few times in the past how hard it was to watch on tour either OC with little to no support in the audience as well as the lower WC corps which PIO holds that title for a long time. I got beat up here ( not really, thick skin here sometimes..lol ) by the same people who claimed I was wrong with the issues and lack of support (even though I was actually there to see for myself ) many are claiming the opposite now, maybe a monkey see monkey do with a few.

Anyway, Winning isn't everything BUT IMO even at the lowest class, the newest person, as a good staff person, or director who cares, you set your student up for success at any level. You do what you can to make them look their best, you write smart to challenge them yet able to achieve success, you let them know how appreciated they are as well as how proud of their achievement, no matter what stage they are at.

For all those who Praised this director in the past and I am not saying he didn't deserve it for years of service BUT in no way or shape was a WC director or know how to achieve this. He had plenty around him at times to make it work and chose not to...ok done..lol

Edited by GUARDLING