Putting it all in context

xxx

Edited by Bluzes
removed

26 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

The issues regarding member safety in no way are impacted by the class they compete in. If they competed in OC the director would still treat the members in the same manner as he does today. That would not change. IMHO it isn't a valid point at all.

The point is they can't support the family business in open class, their philosophy just remaining in last all the time and just starving the kids is way beyond self-serving, Making a mockery of what it really takes to be a TRUE WC CORPS. Push them out just because of that would be a prudent move. Still, wondering what all this means now is laughable.  

Edited by Bluzes
typo

1 hour ago, Ediker said:

Something like this is what would hurt the activity.  Age is not the problem.  Plenty of accusers were above the age of consent.  

https://www.ageofconsent.net/states

Only 11 States have 18 as the age of consent.

States set an acceptable age difference from 0 years up to 10 years in Utah.

Many people don’t know that it’s not 18 across the board.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

ok done..lol

Me two see what one bad apple can do, as usual thinking and saying the worst but always hoping for the best!

2 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

Certainly changes will be coming. It is necessary to further insulate the "brand" from damaging conduct that makes moving into the future more difficult. A few ideas:

1. Make DCI Membership (Seal of Approval, etc.) a more difficult standard to achieve. Score at Championship should not be enough. I'm sure there are underlying qualifiers beyond just this, but are they as rigid as needed?

2. Limit participation in sanctioned DCI events to just 25 corps (Open and World combined).

3. Minimum age requirement to perform as a DCI corps set at 18. Maximum age 22. Everyone over the age of consent.

4. Reduce the size of certified corps adult instructional staff. Way too many techs these days to monitor.

5. Independent safety inspections of all rolling stock.

6. Legally Certified medical person with corps at all times during group travel and participation in DCI events.

7. Firm guidelines on practice hours and rest time.

To clarify, it just seems the "elite level" of DCI performance groups have way too much at stake to be tarnished by smaller, kitchen table managed corps.

To think that we used to lament the lack of corps that exist today. Now people think there are too many.

1. I agree there as there should be a global minimum standard for the governing body to hold all members to. This is in regards to financing to prevent corps from folding mid tour and medical/training staff, etc.

2. The number of corps participating should have no bearing. Everyone who meets the standard should be accepted.

3. This would essentially kill the Open Class activity and limit performance outlets. The Boy Scouts shouldn't eliminate minors because of a few bad scoutmasters, they just need to find a way to protect them. Participation should be encouraged, not restricted.

4.The size of the staff is because many people have jobs and can't go on tour for 3 months of the year. The volume of staff should have little bearing if the proper controls and checks are in place and applied to everyone.

5. Ok

6. this applies to my guidelines in #1.

7. Rest was never really an issue when I marched because there was more regional touring. We never had 8 hour bus rides after the show, it was usually only around 3 because the next show wasn't 2 states away. bringing back more appropriate show scheduling will involve less travel times and probably save gas expenses for corps. Shorter trips will equate to more downtime.

2 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

I know people want to point to Cadets as a model for what should be done to correct issues but I think we need to tap the brakes there a bit and allow them to stay clear of issues for more than a few months before we all fall to out knees praising them. I'm sure I'll catch heck for saying this but come on people. 

I think that you are correct in saying there are many who believe that Cadets problems were all solved by removing GH, and that was huge, in my conversations with people who I believe  know Cadets situation well, they know it will take more than removing the former director and fielding Cadets and C2 to repair the problems. It’s an important first start and this summer should be applauded, but it is only a start. Also, the theory behind most programs which teach people to spot child predators or sexual misconduct in school and workplace situations is that when people are trained to spot these issues, predators steer clear. This has proven to be the case in many situations involving youth. I do not know workplace or higher ed stats, but my thought would be the safest place for a young person in drum corps this past summer was Cadets. 

27 minutes ago, Minimaster said:

https://www.ageofconsent.net/states

Only 11 States have 18 as the age of consent.

States set an acceptable age difference from 0 years up to 10 years in Utah.

Many people don’t know that it’s not 18 across the board.

The age of consent is a legal issue and has nothing to do with the matter. If you are staff, you do not have relationships with marching members. There are reasons why colleges have strict policies regarding these issues. I understand that drum corps with the touring model, people being so close, the bonds, etc. make it unique, and staff/intern/volunteer line is not always clear, but we’re talking about the well bring of the marching members and the survival of the activity.

• Thanks 1

Setting the minimum age to 18 seems like a weird form of victim blaming. 

Comes off as "abusers will be abusers, we should make sure any charges put on these abusers does not additionally include charges involving minors."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

3. Minimum age requirement to perform as a DCI corps set at 18. Maximum age 22. Everyone over the age of consent.

I disagree. partial agreement

DCI is a YOUTH activity and has been known as JUNIOR drum and bugle corps for decades.  I would not be opposed though to TWO separate AGE CLASSES with the following age restrictions.

Age 14 to 17 (Open Class)

Age 18 to 21 (World Class)

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

I disagree.

DCI is a YOUTH activity and has been known as JUNIOR drum and bugle corps for decades.  I would not be opposed though to TWO separate AGE CLASSES with the following age restrictions.

Age 14 to 17 (Open Class)

Age 18 to 21 (World Class)

I think we are somewhat in agreement here!  I am going to begin a new topic now. In the mood to write, and this is such a critical time that demands full discussion.

• Thanks 1