Putting it all in context

Putting it all in context if that's what this thread is all about. There is a glaring omission on DCP to point the finger at the top eight corps directors. I said many times before the only ones to be placed on a pedestal is the MMs period. I don't care what they think of me, don't worry if they shake my hand, slip me an all-access ID badge so not to need to walk around the entire stadium on re-entry every time.

Oh, they are applauded when a top-ranked corps brags they have a medical staff on board, great. Did they have a medical staff when they just made finals a few years ago, I don't know but maybe not? Does the twelfth-place corp have one today? Have dci or the corps directors even tried to find out? Or should the entire organization wait to answer these questions in a legal brief. Have to explain why most of the WC corps are placed on the road with a "good ole boy" financial scheme in place that only provides certain comforts to select corps that built a wall (I don't like walls, none of them) between them and the rest of the pack. 

What worked in the past is all coming apart and it's the best of the best reward system that is stifling real competition and is contributing to the entire organizations' demise.

5 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Putting it all in context if that's what this thread is all about. There is a glaring omission on DCP to point the finger at the top eight corps directors. I said many times before the only ones to be placed on a pedestal is the MMs period. I don't care what they think of me, don't worry if they shake my hand, slip me an all-access ID badge so not to need to walk around the entire stadium on re-entry every time.

Oh, they are applauded when a top-ranked corps brags they have a medical staff on board, great. Did they have a medical staff when they just made finals a few years ago, I don't know but maybe not? Does the twelfth-place corp have one today? Have dci or the corps directors even tried to find out? Or should the entire organization wait to answer these questions in a legal brief. Have to explain why most of the WC corps are placed on the road with a "good ole boy" financial scheme in place that only provides certain comforts to select corps that built a wall (I don't like walls, none of them) between them and the rest of the pack. 

What worked in the past is all coming apart and it's the best of the best reward system that is stifling real competition and is contributing to the entire organizations' demise.

i'll be honest with you...in the history of DCP, the corps that get the most #### have been the top dogs for a variety of reasons. And no corps is getting a free pass on anything since April.

• Like 3

No matter how they word it or plate it, no matter the price, no matter how they gussy up the menu or wine list, restaurants, hotels, and airlines get either one, two, three, four, five star ratings for attaining certain standards.................no matter what it costs the wallet for what they serve. Need we do this for drum corps too so that parents of new auditionees know what they are getting into?

Edited by xandandl
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, xandandl said:

No matter how they word it or plate it, no matter the price, restaurants, hotels, and airlines get either one, two, three, four, five star ratings for attaining certain standards.................no matter what it costs the wallet for what they serve. Need we do this for drum corps too so that parents of new auditionees know what they are getting into?

I agree. I think there should be a system of accreditation and said so in another thread. In spite of what we are hearing in so many threads, most corps would probably pass with flying colors, and all corps would have a chance to make improvements where necessary. It should also be based on everything but competitive success. Everyone knows the history of Santa Clara and Blue Devils and people know where other corps find themselves. Member experience, proper medical care, adequate supervision, staff being properly vetted, staff being qualified, clear written policies that are followed, These are what a “star rating” should be based upon.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, xandandl said:

parents of new auditionees know what they are getting into?

Just don't show them the FB page of the poor kid with the lip infection. Can't describe how that affected us this morning. Going from the uncaring term MM (thought that was a candy) to a real person. Heck, photoshop the picture and just show the condition of the horn. That would scare most parents away. To think this activity was based on BRASSO at one time with real inspections that meant something. To look at what we became to dislike each other making that more important than the kids. Be aloof turn everything down-side-up but solutions and soul-searching fix things, not fancy words. 

What did the Pioneer issues tell, us to hate Roman and keep the rest of the Directors on a pedestal? Or that there is a level of financial availability, personal commitment, pride in what you do. How unpopular is it the to question the DC elite.  Be safe don't go there.

Just now, xandandl said:

No matter how they word it or plate it, no matter the price, no matter how they gussy up the menu or wine list, restaurants, hotels, and airlines get either one, two, three, four, five star ratings for attaining certain standards.................no matter what it costs the wallet for what they serve. Need we do this for drum corps too so that parents of new auditionees know what they are getting into?

I believe you make a good point.  This is such a difficult (even depressing) situation to explain, but I agree there is something to be said for having a "Certified DCI Class Organization."  Some seal of approval that means this corps has undergone a thorough review of its organization to verify its suitability to carry the Drum Corps International banner. To represent DCI by having a record of responsible management that meets or exceeds certain minimum standards of participation.

The standards would include not just health and safety protections for members, but also demonstrated financial and legal stability.

What we are beginning to see are sore points identified with the entire marching music activity, DCI as well other groups outside DCI's purview. There must be a way to differentiate responsible management practices and success found in DCI, from any similar organization who might be guilty of less than satisfactory conduct. 

To me, the challenge is to reduce DCI's exposure by exercising greater control. Even if that means managing fewer organizations.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Just don't show them the FB page of the poor kid with the lip infection. Can't describe how that affected us this morning. Going from the uncaring term MM (thought that was a candy) to a real person. Heck, photoshop the picture and just show the condition of the horn. That would scare most parents away. To think this activity was based on BRASSO at one time with real inspections that meant something. To look at what we became to dislike each other making that more important than the kids. Be aloof turn everything down-side-up but solutions and soul-searching fix things, not fancy words. 

What did the Pioneer issues tell, us to hate Roman and keep the rest of the Directors on a pedestal? Or that there is a level of financial availability, personal commitment, pride in what you do. How unpopular is it the to question the DC elite.  Be safe don't go there.

Couldn’t help noticing the horn condition either. I know of Alumni type corps that would not go out in public with horns looking like that.

4 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

I believe you make a good point.  This is such a difficult (even depressing) situation to explain, but I agree there is something to be said for having a "Certified DCI Class Organization."  Some seal of approval that means this corps has undergone a thorough review of its organization to verify its suitability to carry the Drum Corps International banner. To represent DCI by having a record of responsible management that meets or exceeds certain minimum standards of participation.

The standards would include not just health and safety protections for members, but also demonstrated financial and legal stability.

What we are beginning to see are sore points identified with the entire marching music activity, DCI as well other groups outside DCI's purview. There must be a way to differentiate responsible management practices and success found in DCI, from any similar organization who might be guilty of less than satisfactory conduct. 

To me, the challenge is to reduce DCI's exposure by exercising greater control. Even if that means managing fewer organizations.

What we see here is that dci as an organization needs to totally overhaul itself 

44 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I agree. I think there should be a system of accreditation and said so in another thread. In spite of what we are hearing in so many threads, most corps would probably pass with flying colors, and all corps would have a chance to make improvements where necessary. It should also be based on everything but competitive success. Everyone knows the history of Santa Clara and Blue Devils and people know where other corps find themselves. Member experience, proper medical care, adequate supervision, staff being properly vetted, staff being qualified, clear written policies that are followed, These are what a “star rating” should be based upon.

It could be subcaptions of:  Financial Stability   Care of Membership  Quality of Instruction  Retention of Membership Annually  etc., etc.  No more than a half dozen categories needed.

Educational institutions on all levels, financial institutions, and even governments (using bond ratings and such) all have accreditation standards. I have served on committees for the DoE federal blue star rating for schools, Middle States evaluation for Junior High and Secondary Schools, and for assessing campus ministries and such activities. No matter how good the institution being evaluated, we always find something to work on. We're dealing with humans who are never perfect but hopefully can be growing. Ditto with drum corps.  

Dr. David Kampshoerer of the LaCrosse Blue Stars, Gayle Royer of Santa Clara, George Bonfiglio of 27th Lancers, all professional educators, used to the visit, rate and report evaluations when corps applied for inclusion in the DCI tour. Over the years as others assumed that mantle, the emphasis went heavily to the financial side. Grandpa Dan (Acheson) became the friendly voice to speak confidently to the mms about what was going on...just as he did this summer several times with Cadets; he relates very well with the mms, having been a Madison Scout and corps director for Glassmen before his appointment as DCI CEO.  I think we need more of this, not less.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i'll be honest with you...in the history of DCP, the corps that get the most #### have been the top dogs for a variety of reasons. And no corps is getting a free pass on anything since April.

Thank You I know that the activity is doing it's best, there's been a lot of progress. I got the shock Jock treatment by seeing the kid in the hospital bed and the condition of the horn this morning. Guess I am taking it out, on everyone.