No tour for Pioneer in 2019

On 8/25/2018 at 9:13 AM, gbass598 said:

Perhaps a name change is in their best interests at this point if there is no real connection to Pioneer.

The Thing, perhaps?

• Haha 1

Here is my speculation on the events here:

1. DCI Suspends the corps

2. Roman is p###ed and calls Dan A.  

3. Roman then lies to the Philly reporter, Tricia, about the suspension

4. Dan A tells the "family", they need to go and Roman needs to go.  They don't agree and dig in

5. Dan A says :"We will officially remove you from the 2019 tour, regardless of suspension", if there is no change as DCI wants.  Roman says "No", you wont do that

6. DCI announces they are out of the 2019 Tour

7. Romans bluff is called, and the family agrees to go away

First, DCI showed some chutzpah here by pushing hard for this change.  Good for them for a change.  But the follow through for this, IE making sure the flying Belinski's are not behind the scenes working the puppets will be the real work DCI needs to make happen.  That is, if this corps even survives this, which I am highly skeptical of happening. I word it this way because I don't want to see them fold, but I think this will be a huge mountain to climb for sure.  Maybe my high school friend, who has worked with them on and off over the years (had issues with Roman, of course) and is a good drum corps guy, can help them get back on their feet.

Will be interesting to follow this through the off-season for sure.

Flying Belinksi family.. reminds me if the 60s group Flying Burrito Brothers...

As I read the stories of the medical issues this young man faced, it’s probably not a great idea to rescue Pioneer. 

1. The name Pioneer will carry too much baggage and the reputation will be shoddy at best. You won’t get marching members and you will not get donors.

2. Though I usually view “what are we saving” as snobbish, it may be legitimate to ask now. I do not say this to be negative, but Pioneer is not an iconic name in drum corps the way 27th Lancers, Bridgemen, Glassmen, Suncoast Sound, Sky Ryder’s, etc. were, and while they had more fans than some are willing to admit, and some shows were better than others, what is Pioneer’s legacy and indentity? If we say Irish, problem solved—form a new corps with a Gaelic name and perform authentic Celtic music. 

My thought would be for the people who want to save Pioneer to form a new corps. The new corps could have the ideals Pioneer often stated, being a drum corps where there is room for all, but would be realistic enough to know what that entails.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tim K said:

As I read the stories of the medical issues this young man faced, it’s probably not a great idea to rescue Pioneer. 

1. The name Pioneer will carry too much baggage and the reputation will be shoddy at best. You won’t get marching members and you will not get donors.

2. Though I usually view “what are we saving” as snobbish, it may be legitimate to ask now. I do not say this to be negative, but Pioneer is not an iconic name in drum corps the way 27th Lancers, Bridgemen, Glassmen, Suncoast Sound, Sky Ryder’s, etc. were, and while they had more fans than some are willing to admit, and some shows were better than others, what is Pioneer’s legacy and indentity? If we say Irish, problem solved—form a new corps with a Gaelic name and perform authentic Celtic music. 

My thought would be for the people who want to save Pioneer to form a new corps. The new corps could have the ideals Pioneer often stated, being a drum corps where there is room for all, but would be realistic enough to know what that entails.

keep the corps, reboot the organization...new name etc. 

• Like 1

I am happy progress is being made.  I seem to remember a corps that had sexual predator (that walked on water for some) for decades that hasn't gotten this level of piling on.  How many threads now going on the same subject?  I would add that simply "renaming" something generally isn't as easy as some would think it is.  Let's see what the new blood in place can do.

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

keep the corps, reboot the organization...new name etc. 

There’s not much of an organization so you’d be starting from scratch, and if you’re going to change the name, why not begin a new corps?

1 minute ago, Tim K said:

There’s not much of an organization so you’d be starting from scratch, and if you’re going to change the name, why not begin a new corps?

Not true.  I am assuming you have never started something "from scratch".  Just having equipment is so huge I can't even begin to explain it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spartans87 said:

Here is my speculation on the events here:

1. DCI Suspends the corps

2. Roman is p###ed and calls Dan A.  

3. Roman then lies to the Philly reporter, Tricia, about the suspension

4. Dan A tells the "family", they need to go and Roman needs to go.  They don't agree and dig in

5. Dan A says :"We will officially remove you from the 2019 tour, regardless of suspension", if there is no change as DCI wants.  Roman says "No", you wont do that

6. DCI announces they are out of the 2019 Tour

7. Romans bluff is called, and the family agrees to go away

First, DCI showed some chutzpah here by pushing hard for this change.  Good for them for a change.  But the follow through for this, IE making sure the flying Belinski's are not behind the scenes working the puppets will be the real work DCI needs to make happen.   

Will be interesting to follow this through the off-season for sure.

8) Philly reporter now goes back to a DCI HQ ousted and now disgruntled Blenski, and together Roman gives her additional insights on the inner workings of DCI and DCI HQ., and perhaps possible additional skeletons in the closet within DCI, so to speak. I agree with you that this " will be interesting to follow this through the off season for sure ". All in time, for the better too, imo

Edited by BRASSO