Build-A-Show 2018

6 minutes ago, JohnD said:

I was more inclined to think it was related to characters (control or other multi-byte) in your text that were causing the issue ... which is why I suggested you 'clean' the data with a dumb text editor before pasting.  I encountered the problem intermittently last week when pasting your text and others, even after filtering out any non-ASCII / non-printable characters.

No changes to the 'language filters' recently.

Ok -- when I get home I'll take the original text and put it in Notepad vs TextPad and see what happens.

BTW:  All my original attempts were typed in manually using Chrome using the default DCP editor. 

3 hours ago, kkrepps said:

Can't seemed to post my whole concept, music and all without the "server 500 errors" Too bad, it was awesome. :lle:

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

The only changes made were the recent code update.  

If we can isolate/reproduce the problem, I will take to Invision as a bug report ... however, without something that we can actually identify - there isn't much to report. I have been looking at their forums, looking for a report of a similar problem.

NOTE: I have moved this to the Member Service Forum for now, rather than litter the main discussion forum with the issue. If we can get this cleared-up, I'll clean the thread and put it back.

I did not report it, but I received server 500 errors as well in the pinned thread "2018 Programs & Playlist" thread when I was EDITING the first post with the playlist.  It seemed to have resolved itself though.  If I were to guess what the problem MAY be I'd say it is related to the background "code".  You may be able to reproduce the error by copying/pasting a reddit post for example not using their share function. That seems to mess with this forums code sometimes.  

I tried to reproduce with reddit post and have not had any recent success.

Edited by Liahona

Edited by Liahona

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

The only changes made were the recent code update.  

If we can isolate/reproduce the problem, I will take to Invision as a bug report ... however, without something that we can actually identify - there isn't much to report. I have been looking at their forums, looking for a report of a similar problem.

NOTE: I have moved this to the Member Service Forum for now, rather than litter the main discussion forum with the issue. If we can get this cleared-up, I'll clean the thread and put it back.

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

I was more inclined to think it was related to characters (control or other multi-byte) in your text that were causing the issue ... which is why I suggested you 'clean' the data with a dumb text editor before pasting.  I encountered the problem intermittently last week when pasting your text and others, even after filtering out any non-ASCII / non-printable characters.

No changes to the 'language filters' recently.

2 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

Ok -- when I get home I'll take the original text and put it in Notepad vs TextPad and see what happens.

BTW:  All my original attempts were typed in manually using Chrome using the default DCP editor. 

Notepad will remove any back code for sure, but I already tried this trick when I was receiving the 500 server error myself in the program and playlist thread this season.

I think somehow the POST itself gets corrupted and then will not correct itself.  I had copied the post from the previous season and then I started having issues from then on with it this season...especially when I tried to make edits.  I noticed also that when I attempted to paste a large amount of text I received the error as well.

Edited by Liahona
  • Thanks 1

Just to close the loop -- I took my original text, copied it into Notepad, saved it as ANSI, closed and reloaded the file in Notepad, and copied the text to the DCP editor in the Chrome browser.  I got the Server 500 error again.

I think we've already tried typing in the text manually, plus I've shown I can copy/paste a much larger bit of text (from another thread) which posts fine.

Thanks to all who are looking at this!  If there's anything more technical to try, I'm game.

I'm going to run a utility to update the database to use four-byte UTF-8 encoding, rather than the single-byte UTF-8 that we've been using.  Unfortunately, our database is so large (one of Invision's largest, from what I'm told) that it is going to take quite some time - so I'll have to find some time to run it.  Invision is recommending 4-byte UTF-8 now to permit some of the extended characters, so I should probably get this step out of the way before proceeding with any sort of bug report.  ("Did you update to 4-byte UTF-8?") 

More here once I get this done.

-john

1 minute ago, JohnD said:

I'm going to run a utility to update the database to use four-byte UTF-8 encoding, rather than the single-byte UTF-8 that we've been using.  Unfortunately, our database is so large (one of Invision's largest, from what I'm told) that it is going to take quite some time - so I'll have to find some time to run it.  Invision is recommending 4-byte UTF-8 now to permit some of the extended characters, so I should probably get this step out of the way before proceeding with any sort of bug report.  ("Did you update to 4-byte UTF-8?") 

-john

Thx!

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

-john

Ironically I just got a 500 internal server error replying to this post.  I first added the OK emoji...then backspaced it (or highlight then hit delete - can't remember)  and added the thumbs up emoji and got the error

Edited by Liahona

15 hours ago, Liahona said:

Ironically I just got a 500 internal server error replying to this post.  I first added the OK emoji...then backspaced it (or highlight then hit delete - can't remember)  and added the thumbs up emoji and got the error

Hmmmm :91_thumbsup:

18 hours ago, JohnD said:

-john

The update is done - just finished.

We'll have to see if we can reproduce the problem now.

-john