Fan Favorites for 2018 survey results ( Flo )

1 hour ago, GeneralFFect said:

I

If I had done this survey and added my thoughts... Boston would have certainly been my choice over anyone.  What they accomplished in one year is phenomenal.  I just don't know why so many had BAC in this category this year.

Fans in your survey results for " most improved Corps for 2018 ) were 1 ) Mandarins    2) Spirit of Atlanta..... 3 ) Boston.

I can understand Boston 3rd in your results, but also understand others perhaps surprised, as you were with this as well. I suppose however when we think of what other Corps fans could have had for 3rd most improved Corps for 2018, it becomes fun to think of some other worthy improved Corps... as there were others. Who was 4th. 5th, 6th, in this category, GeneralFect ?

1 hour ago, barigirl78 said:

The professional researcher in me bristles when I see a "survey" that doesn't include any description of methodology.

Arrgh.

Different survey, but this methodology was funny:

During each show on FloMarching you could vote for a fan favorite as much as you want or until your finger locked up with a cramp.  So the Corps on first seemed to usually win, I assume because their fans generally got the biggest head start.

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

Fans in your survey results for " most improved Corps for 2018 ) were 1 ) Mandarins    2) Spirit of Atlanta..... 3 ) Boston.

I can understand Boston 3rd in your results, but also understand others perhaps surprised, as you were with this as well. I suppose however when we think of what other Corps fans could have had for 3rd most improved Corps for 2018, it becomes fun to think of some other worthy improved Corps... as there were others. Who was 4th. 5th, 6th, in this category, GeneralFect ?

I would have to look to be sure, but Music City garnered a lot of votes. They were mentioned quite frequently as I recall in this category.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GeneralFFect said:

I would have to look to be sure, but Music City garnered a lot of votes. They were mentioned quite frequently as I recall in this category.

Oh yes... good choice there, imo. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BRASSO said:

You're welcome.... and welcome to DCP as well !

Oh com'on.. its just Drum Corps surveys. DCP has polls and surveys all the time too with little " scientific methodologies employed". Its just meant to be fun. Besides, as far as " scientific methodologies " and " platforms utilized " and its " designs "  etc and all that Jazz,  how " bristled " do you think the public becomes when all the  political polls tend to demonstrate themselves to be mostly rubbish and useless, despite their high brow and well paid credentials of the so called " professional researchers " using all those " scientific methodologies ". ? Ya, right.  So just learn to relax and enjoy what this unpaid, amateur, fun loving, Drum Corps fan did here with his previously admitted " unscientific " Drum Corps fan survey/ poll for 2018.

Everybody has their thing that they are picky about and surveys are mine.

What you are saying about political polls is a good example of needing methodological information.  Not all polls are created equal in terms of methodology.  Some can be "rubbish" and others can be better than that.  Understanding which methods are better than others and what the margin of error is, is quite important to distinguishing between them.  Part of the problem is that the public--and even many journalists who write about polls--don't know how to interpret what they are reading.  That's why when I see a poll written about by a journalist, I often ignore what the journalist is saying and go straight to the original material and interpret it myself.

I can enjoy a "fun" poll, but that doesn't mean I'm not curious about how it was conducted.  Most "do it yourself" fun polls will tell you how many people participated.

Also, to be honest, since it was non-scientific anyway, I'm a little disappointed I didn't have an opportunity to participate and weigh in on the questions.

Edited by barigirl78
  • Sad 2

18 hours ago, Ghost said:

Thanks BRASSO.  Before checking the survey article, I was surprised to see Boston in third.  Didn't think going from 6th to 5th was a big improvement, but it was great that Boston was able to accomplish it.   I'll have to compare 17 and 18 results since there might be a corps who made a big jump, but doesn't get a lot of coverage.  OC might have a corps who made great strides.

I think it is safe to say that while the judges had them in 5th they should have been 4th (by a good margin) and nipping at the heels of 3rd. They were just better than Crown overall and I don't care what the final scores say.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, barigirl78 said:

"Not so Scientific" is right.

The professional researcher in me bristles when I see a "survey" that doesn't include any description of methodology.  Who participated?  On what platform?  Over what period of time?  How many respondents?  What was the survey design?  Was it open-ended or multiple choice?

Arrgh.

I don't recall this survey being conducted.  Does anyone else?

The number of ties that occurred suggests the number of participants were pretty low.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

I think it is safe to say that while the judges had them in 5th they should have been 4th (by a good margin) and nipping at the heels of 3rd. They were just better than Crown overall and I don't care what the final scores say.

I agree... or at least I did till I saw them at Finals.  Crown's hornline saved their behinds tbh.  But, what I wasnt aware of until finals was how much amplification BAC used.  I sat to the left of the pit for Finals... once the hornline pulled away from the mic in the center and moved near the tarp... BAC's sound was cut in half. That was pretty disappointing. 

3 hours ago, GeneralFFect said:

Saw them in Birmingham--similar to the Mandarins, they had a great show idea, and sold the hell out of it. Incredible energy. 

On top of that, one of the marimba players is the son of an old college friend.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kkrepps said:

Different survey, but this methodology was funny:

During each show on FloMarching you could vote for a fan favorite as much as you want or until your finger locked up with a cramp.  So the Corps on first seemed to usually win, I assume because their fans generally got the biggest head start.

This is immediately what came to mind, ha.

In Atlanta, I actually saw a group of kids sitting in front me of do this when one of them pointed out you could vote multiple times.

• Haha 1