Here come the GOVIES

On 8/30/2018 at 7:36 AM, BigW said:

LOL... Du Bois.

Pronounced "Dew Boys", many folks think it's pronounced "Dew Bwah" from out of state.

Last time we were passing thru DuBois stopped at a greasy spoon diner. Well where was any place else in that area. Two bikers walk in and sit right behind me. Biker talk... biker talk... then the food comes... “my wife can cook better than this, and her food sucks”.  Couldn’t help myself and broke up laughing. Biker turned around “this is pretty bad ain’t it”. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Last time we were passing thru DuBois stopped at a greasy spoon diner. Well where was any place else in that area. Two bikers walk in and sit right behind me. Biker talk... biker talk... then the food comes... “my wife can cook better than this, and her food sucks”.  Couldn’t help myself and broke up laughing. Biker turned around “this is pretty bad ain’t it”. 

Now you mention it, it's difficult to find anything decent there off I-80. My guess is there's some local place that's good, but I have no clue. Last time there I ended up striking out hideously at their McD's when I gave up and was starved.

The one thing I do have a clue on off I-80 basically west of DuBois of the Turnpike off New Stanton are the King's restaurant chain. The food is decent, but the ice cream is the real specialty. When I'm out that way I never fail to stop for a tall glass of milk and a slab of hot apple pie and cinnamon ice cream. I'll get more if it's lunch or supper time.

http://kingsfamily.com/

Unfortunately, it looks like they dropped their classic "Tons of Fun for Everyone"... a 22 scoop made to order ice cream bonanza that would feed like 7-9 peeps. Was on my bucket list if I could get like 5-8 friends.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BigW said:

The one thing I do have a clue on off I-80 basically west of DuBois of the Turnpike off New Stanton are the King's restaurant chain. The food is decent, but the ice cream is the real specialty. When I'm out that way I never fail to stop for a tall glass of milk and a slab of hot apple pie and cinnamon ice cream. I'll get more if it's lunch or supper time.

I took I-80 most of the way back across PA but wanted to see a few sights in eastern Ohio, so I got off at the Mercer PA exit. Passed a couple billboards advertising Jones' Burgers N Shakes and their 250+ shake flavors and then suddenly realized I was driving right by there, so I stopped and tried what they listed as their most popular shake flavor: "strawberry pretzel salad". It was good! Looks like I got there just in time. Their website says they're now closed until Memorial Day.

https://jonesshakes.com/

20 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I took I-80 most of the way back across PA but wanted to see a few sights in eastern Ohio, so I got off at the Mercer PA exit. Passed a couple billboards advertising Jones' Burgers N Shakes and their 250+ shake flavors and then suddenly realized I was driving right by there, so I stopped and tried what they listed as their most popular shake flavor: "strawberry pretzel salad". It was good! Looks like I got there just in time. Their website says they're now closed until Memorial Day.

https://jonesshakes.com/

Heh, Mercer is a bit West of where I normally roll on I-80. I usually peel off on the PA 153 exit if you're hearing to the Corry/Erie/Warren area or end up in that St. Mary's/DuBois/Brockway neck of the woods. beautiful drive in daylight... treacherous at night.

On 9/3/2018 at 11:40 PM, bpok2000 said:

So it's now late Mon night and the John & Tuna show is parked for the night.  All is good.

The busses went through Iowa on the way down, no issues.  The trip back took the corps though the flood plains of Wisconsin with no issues as well.  (I think they realllly wanted to stop in Mauston, oh the storys).

Chickens all home.

John and Tuna show "doing Chicago and Wisconsin to boot" all day Tuesday!

Glad to hear you guys made it back, loved the show. A lot of fun to take in and a great message underpinning it all.

Is Tuna the assistant DM? His long locks, I tried that years ago for a while, my hair can't take the stress. I'm jealous. :worthy:

• Like 1