First The Cadets, then Pioneer, now Genesis

Notice how in the responses there are people implying that back in the day when they were in a corps, this sort of thing never happened, but now that it's happening, they're inclined to keep their kids away from the activity.

All by itself, the example of George Hopkins over 30+ years shows this is a mistaken perception.

But it doesn't matter. Corps need to work harder to get ahead of these stories, or there will be real damage.

• Like 2

x

Edited by Bluzes
remove

17 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Notice how in the responses there are people implying that back in the day when they were in a corps, this sort of thing never happened, but now that it's happening, they're inclined to keep their kids away from the activity.

All by itself, the example of George Hopkins over 30+ years shows this is a mistaken perception.

But it doesn't matter. Corps need to work harder to get ahead of these stories, or there will be real damage.

I think you’re referring to me. 

I did allow him to march.  I marched, too.  I knew things went on back then but we know so much more now with social media.  If I’d had access to the information then that I have now, I may have reconsidered. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

This was in 2011...received 5 year suspension..has he been reinstated?  Lastly, what was his position at Genesis?

22 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think you’re referring to me.

Oh I didn't even notice the name!

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

If they don't then all the bantering going on over on Reddit will haunt dci. Banter on the semantics - defining sexual harassment vs inappropriate contact. Is that spelled out in the new safety rules and regulations? Poster on Reddit has determined that Genesis did not follow the new rules in 2018 as far as parental notification, true?. How thorny does all this become?  He was on staff in 2018 with stuff in his background but his Iowa suspension lifted? Where do the rules stand on this? When do you hire or not hire? If you do hire those with baggage what triggers the parental notification? Why hire in the first place if you are only riling up the parents so they turn to Reddit. These rules are confusing. 

Edited by Bluzes
typo
  • Like 1