First The Cadets, then Pioneer, now Genesis

15 minutes ago, lifeisaround said:

Did you guys notice that the Executive Director Chris Magonigal is also the Chairman of the board... hmmm...

Reminds me of another recent story involving poor governance structure...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wasn't it the director of Genesis who blew the whistle on Moody/Xmen? Seems odd he would do something like that if his own house was not in order. Ironic.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

So much going on recently. Didn't Genesis just have a big staff turnover? Related to this maybe?

1 minute ago, MusicManNJ said:

Wasn't it the director of Genesis who blew the whistle on Moody/Xmen? Seems odd he would do something like that if his own house was not in order. Ironic.

YES HE WAS!!! 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bluzes said:

If they don't then all the bantering going on over on Reddit will haunt dci. Banter on the semantics - defining sexual harassment vs inappropriate contact. Is that spelled out in the new safety rules and regulations? 

No.

Poster on Reddit has determined that Genesis did not follow the new rules in 2018 as far as parental notification, true?

Not that I can see.  Nothing in the DCI guidelines addresses parental notification, either explicitly or by inference.  Correct me if I am wrong (hope I am).

These rules are confusing. 

There - that is true.

Reading the DCI Community Code of Conduct and Ethics Guidelines, I cannot find clarification on where they actually stand on sexual misconduct.  The policy does prohibit "consensual" relationships between staff and marchers (though just prior, it states that effective consent cannot exist in such a relationship).  It also prohibits sexual activity between age 18+ and under-18.  But everything else, including more egregious sexual misconduct, will merely "deny or limit" ability to participate in DCI activities.  

facepalm-smiley-emoticon.gif

"Deny or limit"?  What does THAT mean?  That opens a huge door through which all sorts of sex offenders could work with kids under DCI oversight.  What if the only "limit" is qualifying for parole?

Much of what I see coming (and much of what will hit the DCI fan too) is the consequence of this vagueness around "deny or limit".  Will DCI define anything else that denies participation in DCI activities?  Should DCI condone "second chances" for sexual misconduct, or should that be a lifetime ban from any position of responsibility with a drum corps, no matter how minor the offense or what has happened since?  Can there be any way for such a person to serve a drum corps that guarantees "no access to the kids"?  As long as these questions remain unanswered, more messy stories like this one will develop.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Reading the DCI Community Code of Conduct and Ethics Guidelines, I cannot find clarification on where they actually stand on sexual misconduct.  The policy does prohibit "consensual" relationships between staff and marchers (though just prior, it states that effective consent cannot exist in such a relationship).  It also prohibits sexual activity between age 18+ and under-18.  

I think I mentioned this back in April/May, but I don't believe that DCI has done anything to set up hiring guidelines about what past actions would disqualify someone from working with a corps.  Simply requiring background checks means nothing if the decision whether to hire someone despite what shows up in their background still remains completely at the corps' discretion.  That gaping hole in their policy will continue to cause problems for DCI.

Edited by Eleran

Yep policies on dealing with harrasment/abuse never stop changing.  Keeping up with society changes or fixing shortcomings in the policy itself.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 hours ago, CHRISP said:

Facebook is blocked in my office.  What does the post say?

same here with the bookface block. No one replied to your question about what did the post say but maybe it was nothing else to add besides the fact they have faulty judgement when it comes to protecting their members.