First The Cadets, then Pioneer, now Genesis

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Ridiculous as this quote sounds

Can't that be called "Politically as it sounds" weren't we slapped on the hands yesterday for wondering into politics now this? More political triggers. Please, these threads should not be so easy to derail. Want me to find more hot buttons to derail a dark topic of discussion like yesterday. I knew my HUFFYPOST would be the derailment factor. Please, no triggers do not want to upset anyone. 

29 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I asked that 2 years of the Cadets and got blasted for it.

i guess i was right after all.

Well when anyone would speak ill of the Cadets for anything they were routinely blasted by the Cadet sycophants. I'm convinced that attitude is what allowed the GH situation to fester for decades and lead to him abusing more people than he should have.  Something I'm sure weighs heavy on many alumni minds. Hopefully all of those "defend the castle at all costs" people have been banished from Cadet-land.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bluzes said:

License reinstatement enables a person to resume teaching again in a school, during the day mostly on weekdays with other peers closeby teaching or administrating. Being on staff for a touring drum corps is different, not a place for recovery from anything. Staff positions need a higher bar if you blew it in a daytime school environment one should prove themselves in that environment first. Placing them in a touring drum corps should not be the first job they get after suspension. The rules should prohibit that.

Not faulting Genesis for stuff done in 2015 while we all lived in bliss but he was on staff during his suspension back then.

I am. They are a youth based organization. They should never have hired a guy with his background even though he was reinstated. I don't care how great the guy is or how comfortable you are after talking with him. Agree with you that a touring drum corps given the length of time, the living conditions and the near continuous proximity to minors should NEVER EVER EVER be a place for someone to be given a second chance to prove they are recovered from whatever action got that got them in trouble before. Should be a hard pass 100% of the time. Period.

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Great, you won the DCP accuracy in posting game. How does that address the issue with that post sitting there on Reddit and being a huge deterrent in attracting future MMs? I post from memory may not get things totally correct but am not the reason why this showed up and is casting a negative light on the activity we both care about.

I agree.  And there is not much we can do about that.  Any unfiltered, lightly moderated Internet forum could have that effect on people.  

Where did the parent get such perceptions to feel strongly enough to post these things in the first place?

As I understand it, the poster to whom you refer is not a Genesis parent - just someone who feels so strongly about these issues that they overreach in their response.

Here I go reading between the lines again but is this parent all worked up because she found out about him and just not notified, or is there more to the story?

Generally speaking, the corps attempted to notify the parents of 2018 Genesis members in April at a parent meeting.  Naturally, not every parent attended that meeting... (see below)

Did Genesis actually communicate something to the parents trying to explain all this away? If they did was it a requirement or a miscalculated (in retrospect) judgment call. 

To try and inform the rest of the members/parents, Genesis recently issued the e-mail restated on Reddit.  At least, it is my impression that they did this voluntarily, not because they felt obligated by DCI or law.  I think they were hoping it would quell the social media fuss (one of numerous miscalculations).

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

. Should be a hard pass 100% of the time. Period.

Genesis actions for 2015 bad decisions are not something I condone. Just find it better when posting here to provide one the benefit of doubt or Crowns hammer makes it around to me really quick. 

If there are posters on here that are certain of what the old & new rules & regs are. Although not needing to explain themselves here, hopefully, they are passing the miss interruptions the lack of true understandings of notification requirements if any making the rounds on Reddit. Looking into the parents' true intentions of their post. That's what needs to be placed into focus and addressed not here but by the powers to be running things. A little nod that these things are being addressed is all we need here. 

41 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Can't that be called "Politically as it sounds" weren't we slapped on the hands yesterday for wondering into politics now this?

Yeah, even though I was very careful not to mention anyone more recent than JFK by name or even by profession, I decided to delete the rest of my post.

3 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Genesis actions for 2015 bad decisions are not something I condone. Just find it better when posting here to provide one the benefit of doubt or Crowns hammer makes it around to me really quick. 

If there are posters on here that are certain of what the old & new rules & regs are. Although not needing to explain themselves here, hopefully, they are passing the miss interruptions the lack of true understandings of notification requirements if any making the rounds on Reddit. Looking into the parents' true intentions of their post. That's what needs to be placed into focus and addressed not here but by the powers to be running things. A little nod that these things are being addressed is all we need here. 

I guess I don't see keeping marching members safe as something that deserves corps to be given the benefit of doubt about even looking back to the old regulations. The number one rule for EVERY SINGLE corps director is to do the right thing for the safety and well being of their members. DCI should not have to put that in writing. Just because you CAN do something does in no way make it the right thing to do. It seems very common sense to me.

If someone asks the Genesis director why he hired the guy and his explanation includes well we didn't have a rule in place that we couldn't the next thing out of his mouth should be I resign my post as director effective immediately.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

As I understand it, the poster to whom you refer is not a Genesis parent - just someone who feels so strongly about these issues that they overreach in their response.

That may be so I left out the Reddit posters name in my paste. Its there to see. The narrative depicts themselves as a concerned parent that made a payment to Genesis for their kid. Who knows ones true identity or intentions hiding behind a keyboard. That is what's wrong with drum corps sites on Reddit. No one there to show a counterbalance at least here you can knock one off the seesaw all together and for good reason sometimes.  No well intended and most determined Mods to right the ship on Reddit. Should there be a constant presence on Reddit that is knowledgeable enough to bring their own unofficial seesaw? Right the ship before dci's perception on Reddit becomes reality?

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

the corps arent always the first to know its coming. thats part of the problem. 

True. But how you handle them when they come is important. For others, knowing what is coming and how to get ahead of it is critical. Even if it i bad. Better to deliver the news than have it delivered for you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

DCI should not have to put that in writing

Agree. Some things don't need to be regulated, put into writing. Like what I am going to point out now. With our every increasing surveillance cameras, almost everyone carrying a camera themselves. The average law abiding citizen remains unaffected, they are not doing anything wrong and can care less what public/private surveillance captures.

A potential perp is aware, however, it is making their life harder to get away with things. Overnight stays with their prey are tempting a place to be. That is just one of the reasons why social media background checks are necessary today and unheard of yesterday. This is not casting a negative light on the wonderful staff members that don't have skeletons hiding in their digital footprint. Touring volunteers as well maybe an easier way to access what they may be looking for. Times have changed, new world, new concerns, need to keep pace.