First The Cadets, then Pioneer, now Genesis

5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

I would guess that if someone equal or better was available and interested in the position, they would have been hired instead (contingent on background check).

I strongly disagree with this.  This person cannot possibly be that good to where a suspended teaching license for sexual misconduct is trumped by their ability.  

Without being close to any of these situations, the impression that I’m getting is that these hirings may be either the result of nepotism, or this may be some form of closed network where the guilty are being protected for whatever reason.

There is no valid reason where a corps director can give the ok on a hiring like this in good conscience, knowing that he/she is not considering the rest of the organization that they are responsible for.

I guess the other possibility in these situations is that the directors involved really think that instances of sexual misconduct such as these are not that big of a deal, or everyone else is blowing the situation out of proportion.

Either way, incredibly terrible decision making that doesn’t show the responsibility of the care of the whole organization being taken seriously.

The boards of the organizations where decisions on these directors haven’t already been made really need to realize what they have gotten themselves into here.

Edited by Quad Aces

7 hours ago, BigW said:

Bad optics... damage control....all can happen, Jeff. Happens a lot at the scholastic level.

oh I know. But the sins of the guilty shouldnt blackball the innocent

7 hours ago, Quad Aces said:

I will never understand why a corps (or other organization) decides it’s ok to bring in someone with a background like this.  And now we have a number of examples of this very thing.  So there is absolutely no one in the entire world without a stain in their background that can do their job the same, if not better?  Really??

How does that hiring conversation go?  “So we’ve got this guy who got his teaching license suspended for sexual misconduct.”  “Great - we have to have that guy, he’s hired!!”

For the love of God, why would you even go there?  Don’t the people running the corps have the ounce of forsesight it takes to realize that it is going to be a very bad thing to do?  And yet they do it anyway?  

Don’t people running a corps have a responsibility to look out for what’s best for all of the people involved, and not just what’s best for a single individual?

What makes the people with backgrounds like this SO special, that the corps that hire them absolutely cannot exist without them?

Sadly, I think in this case, and even worse, with Pio and Crossmen, the mindset of "giving people a second chance" comes into play. Remember, we want to be seen as an activity that helps people. Granted the guy DCI forced Roman to fire sounds on paper worse than Bones or Genesis, the motivation for each seems to be helping someone rebuild their lives. Noble as it may seem, the risk is just far too great.  

1 hour ago, Quad Aces said:

I strongly disagree with this.  This person cannot possibly be that good to where a suspended teaching license for sexual misconduct is trumped by their ability.  

And I never said it should be.  I was only responding to the unfounded assumption that you (and now, others) make that thousands of better percussion guys are available and open to working with Genesis.

Remember, this is the same corps that, as far as I can tell, had no drill writer in 2018, and whose brass arranger disclaimed being their brass arranger in mid-season.

One of those Reddit posts said Eric Thompson was their staff coordinator.  Is he still?  Maybe people refuse to work there because of that...

1 minute ago, cixelsyd said:

And I never said it should be.  I was only responding to the unfounded assumption that you (and now, others) make that thousands of better percussion guys are available and open to working with Genesis.

Remember, this is the same corps that, as far as I can tell, had no drill writer in 2018, and whose brass arranger disclaimed being their brass arranger in mid-season.

One of those Reddit posts said Eric Thompson was their staff coordinator.  Is he still?  Maybe people refuse to work there because of that...

Thousands?  How about just one?  Or have someone else double up on their duties and pay them more accordingly.

Anything should be preferable to hiring someone whose teaching license was suspended for sexual misconduct while teaching for yet another teaching position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Sadly, I think in this case, and even worse, with Pio and Crossmen, the mindset of "giving people a second chance" comes into play. Remember, we want to be seen as an activity that helps people. Granted the guy DCI forced Roman to fire sounds on paper worse than Bones or Genesis, the motivation for each seems to be helping someone rebuild their lives. Noble as it may seem, the risk is just far too great.  

I agree that there intent may have been nobel. File this under "no good deed goes unpunished." 

1 minute ago, Quad Aces said:

I can understand that too, but to a point.

Isn’t it like hiring a convicted bank robber to be a teller at a bank?

recovering alcoholic to be bartender?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

I agree that there intent may have been nobel. File this under "no good deed goes unpunished." 

exactly. And again, background checks arent the end all be all. You need more than that

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

recovering alcoholic to be bartender?

actually I know one...and the best bartender for miles. and stone sober. Also very good at catching when a patron needs to be cut off

• Like 1